DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Field recorder solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/82732-field-recorder-solutions.html)

Elmer Lang December 29th, 2006 10:13 AM

Field recorder solutions

I have a Tram clip-on mic and a Sennheiser 100 Series wireless mic, both with XLR inputs.

Any compatible suggestions in the $300-$400/$400-$600 range for a portable minidisc recorder, dat, etc? Tape vs disc?

thanks,
elmer

Steve House December 29th, 2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer Lang
I have a Tram clip-on mic and a Sennheiser 100 Series wireless mic, both with XLR inputs.

Any compatible suggestions in the $300-$400/$400-$600 range for a portable minidisc recorder, dat, etc? Tape vs disc?

thanks,
elmer

Both Minidisc and DAT are falling into disfavour these days in preference to file based recorders recording direct to PCM or MP3 files on CF cards. One that is easily in your budget that has been getting a lot of good press lately is the Zoom H4

Elmer Lang December 29th, 2006 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've been looking at that Zoom H4 with its 2 combination XLR-1/4 in. input jacks with phantom power.

My question is, would using adaptors to hook up my regular size XLRs to its 1/4 in. inputs cause the audio to deteriorate or be plagued by noise?

thanks,
elmer

Eric Darling December 29th, 2006 12:58 PM

The Marantz PMD-660 is a pretty good choice in the $400-$600 range. It records in either PCM/WAV uncompressed or MP3 format on CF cards. You can also elect to record in stereo or mono to save on storage space.

Bob Howard December 29th, 2006 01:24 PM

Zoom H4

Unless I misread your post (possible) - The Zoom H4 HAS a pair of XLR inputs. No need for adapters. Love mine (well, love might be a too strong a word). Lot's of flexibility.

Dave Stern December 29th, 2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Howard
Unless I misread your post (possible) - The Zoom H4 HAS a pair of XLR inputs. No need for adapters. Love mine (well, love might be a too strong a word). Lot's of flexibility.

how's the build quality / sound quality?

Elmer Lang December 29th, 2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Howard
The Zoom H4 HAS a pair of XLR inputs. No need for adapters. Love mine. Lot's of flexibility.

Thanks, Bob!

I think I misread the product description!

A couple questions:
Does it record compressed? If so, is that good enough for filmwork?

It has a USB interface. Would it be easy to capture for work with FCP 5.0.4?

Any other tips, drawbacks, etc?

thanks,
elmer

Ryan Kingston (Guest) December 29th, 2006 02:12 PM

Is there a way to sync the camera and the recorders up, or does this have to all be done in post?

Seth Bloombaum December 29th, 2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Does it record compressed? If so, is that good enough for filmwork?

It has a USB interface. Would it be easy to capture for work with FCP 5.0.4?

The H4 will record anything from a 24/96 wav (uncompressed) to a medium bitrate MP3 (compressed) with several stops along the way.

I'm not much of a mac user, but do be aware that it is recording wav for uncompressed. Can FCP deal with that? Find specs and manual at samsontech.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Kingston
Is there a way to sync the camera and the recorders up, or does this have to all be done in post?

With this class of devices and cameras we sync in post. This can be easy or hard, depending on the style of shooting, how much attention is given to sync during the shoot (slates and clapboards, for example), and how easy sync is in your post environment.

Ryan Kingston (Guest) December 29th, 2006 02:34 PM

This article might be helpful.

http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio_system/10.php

I have a cannon HV10, so Ive also been trying to find a solution for getting better audio. I have a full recording studio and use nuendo 3.0 and do band demos etc, but currently have nothing easily portable. I guess I could get a motu portable firewire setup and use my laptop, but it would be easier to have a a smaller portable solution.

Elmer Lang December 29th, 2006 03:07 PM

Great minds (maybe) think alike!

I'm wanting an HV10, and that's why I'm now looking for a portable audio solution.

How do you like your HV10?

What's your experience with low light?

Ergonomics? Controls?

thanks,
elmer

Ryan Kingston (Guest) December 29th, 2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Great minds (maybe) think alike!

I'm wanting an HV10, and that's why I'm now looking for a portable audio solution.

How do you like your HV10?

What's your experience with low light?

Ergonomics? Controls?

thanks,
elmer

With good light the picture is amazing. Low light is similar to the results you would get from a standard mini dv camera. Keep good lighting and your results will be awesome.

Elmer Lang December 29th, 2006 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
The H4 will record anything from a 24/96 wav (uncompressed) to a medium bitrate MP3 (compressed) with several stops along the way.

I've been using my Tram clip mic and Senn Series 100 wireless clip with a DVX100, I was wondering if these little recorders record better (you'd think!)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Kingston

And Ryan, thanks for the article URL, excellent stuff!

best
elmer

Abe Dolinger December 30th, 2006 10:01 PM

This is only relevant to the title of the thread, and not the topic per se, but has anyone been using the Tascam HD-P2? I'm thinking about buying one to replace my DA-P1 since everyone seems to want digital files and I'm tired of bouncing everything to my computer in real time. Also, timecode!

Seth Bloombaum December 31st, 2006 11:16 AM

Abe, if you search this forum you'll find some user evaluations of the tascam. I think people generally like it - I've not used it.