DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   b6 to sennheiser. Is there a DECENT reseller? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/82822-b6-sennheiser-there-decent-reseller.html)

Andrew Dean December 30th, 2006 10:23 PM

b6 to sennheiser. Is there a suggested reseller?

I have a pair of sennheiser g2 wireless systems. For the times i want wireless, i think they work great. I'd like to upgrade the lavaliers on them but i'd also like to be able to use the lavaliers wired for the times when audio quality is paramount.

From the posts i've found, it appears to be possible to get the b6 wired for the sennheiser locking mini, then get an adapter that goes from the miniplug to an xlr unit that converts phantom into the correct power for the lavalier, thus giving me a tidy wireless or a crystaline wired solution all in one. Everybody seems to have a different name for this solution be it "the link" or "phantom power conversion adapter" or whathaveyou.

So, I emailed trew audio 4 months ago asking if they had such a solution and how much it would be. They never answered. So i emailed coffey sound 3 months ago. No reply there either. I emailed countryman directly 2 months ago asking the same question. Nothing. I checked all my spam filters and server logs and outgoing emails. I definitely sent the emails to the addresses on their websites and received nothing in reply from any of them.

My questions are:
1. Can somebody else verify this beast really exists? It sure does seem that the xlr wired b6 could have the cable spliced and a locking minplug link put inline to give me what i want.

And i suppose the bigger question is:
2. Can somebody give a personal recommendation for an audio reseller that might actually want to sell me such a thing? I thought a pair of b6 was a reasonable enough purchase to earn me a reply. Guess not. So is there a reseller out there that doesn't think this is too petty an order?

Thanks for whatever input you have,

-Andrew

Steve House December 31st, 2006 08:59 AM

The Countryman site lists that wiring arrangement as being available I recall.

I can vouch for Trew Audio's quality of service - I have dealt several times with their store in Toronto and have had nothing but good experiences with them, 100% professional and accomodating. Something must have slipped through the cracks somewhere, Try them again.

I haven't had any direct dealings with Coffey Sound but they do have a reputation for excellent professional service. Send them another email as well.

Matthew Wilson January 4th, 2007 02:55 AM

Hi Andrew,
Are you set on the B6's? My experience with them is that they are great because they are small, but that can also be their biggest weakness. The cables on them are very fragile and easily broken. I have also found that as far as sound quality goes, the Sanken COS11 sounds much better. It's capsule design also makes it relatively easy to hide and is a much more robust mic. I've got a couple with power supplies that have breakaways for Lectros so I can use them with the wireless or hardwired very easily. They are a little more than the B6s, but it would be worth your while to hear one if you haven't.

Ty Ford January 4th, 2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean
I have a pair of sennheiser g2 wireless systems. For the times i want wireless, i think they work great. I'd like to upgrade the lavaliers on them but i'd also like to be able to use the lavaliers wired for the times when audio quality is paramount.

From the posts i've found, it appears to be possible to get the b6 wired for the sennheiser locking mini, then get an adapter that goes from the miniplug to an xlr unit that converts phantom into the correct power for the lavalier, thus giving me a tidy wireless or a crystaline wired solution all in one. Everybody seems to have a different name for this solution be it "the link" or "phantom power conversion adapter" or whathaveyou.

So, I emailed trew audio 4 months ago asking if they had such a solution and how much it would be. They never answered. So i emailed coffey sound 3 months ago. No reply there either. I emailed countryman directly 2 months ago asking the same question. Nothing. I checked all my spam filters and server logs and outgoing emails. I definitely sent the emails to the addresses on their websites and received nothing in reply from any of them.

My questions are:
1. Can somebody else verify this beast really exists? It sure does seem that the xlr wired b6 could have the cable spliced and a locking minplug link put inline to give me what i want.

And i suppose the bigger question is:
2. Can somebody give a personal recommendation for an audio reseller that might actually want to sell me such a thing? I thought a pair of b6 was a reasonable enough purchase to earn me a reply. Guess not. So is there a reseller out there that doesn't think this is too petty an order?

Thanks for whatever input you have,

-Andrew

Call them. Do business.

Ty Ford

Andrew Dean January 6th, 2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
Hi Andrew,
Are you set on the B6's? My experience with them is that they are great because they are small, but that can also be their biggest weakness. The cables on them are very fragile and easily broken. I have also found that as far as sound quality goes, the Sanken COS11 sounds much better. It's capsule design also makes it relatively easy to hide and is a much more robust mic. I've got a couple with power supplies that have breakaways for Lectros so I can use them with the wireless or hardwired very easily. They are a little more than the B6s, but it would be worth your while to hear one if you haven't.

Hmm. thats some good advice Matt. Thanks. I think i was hypnotized by the size of the b6 without thinking through the limitations.

My experiences with pro audio/video/photo resellers pre-internet was truly awful. Seems like thats where people too smarmy to sell used cars and too stupid for the guitar center ended up working. I still hold the same reluctance with internet retailers. Ignoring the $2.40/minute i would pay to call them overseas, I like the low-pressure nature of email/web purchases. I'm probably overreacting and superimposing the actions of 1980s salesweiners onto a simple overlooked email. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

Steve House January 6th, 2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean
Hmm. thats some good advice Matt. Thanks. I think i was hypnotized by the size of the b6 without thinking through the limitations.

My experiences with pro audio/video/photo resellers pre-internet was truly awful. Seems like thats where people too smarmy to sell used cars and too stupid for the guitar center ended up working. I still hold the same reluctance with internet retailers. Ignoring the $2.40/minute i would pay to call them overseas, I like the low-pressure nature of email/web purchases. I'm probably overreacting and superimposing the actions of 1980s salesweiners onto a simple overlooked email. Oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised at your experience with professional audio/video suppliers. Now if you're talking about most of those outfits CLAIMING to be pro dealers that run the multipage bargain ads in the back of photo and video magazines that's another matter - with incredibly few exceptions such as B&H they're not what I would consider professional at anything except being professional rip-off artists. But real professional suppliers, folks like B&H, Trew, Coffey, Location Sound, Gotham, etc that supply the professional broadcast and film production markets, Calumet or Adolph Gasser for still photo, I've never had anything but positive dealings with them.

Matthew Wilson January 6th, 2007 04:22 PM

I happen to be fortunate to be close to Location Sound and Coffey here in LA, and both places offer great help. Walking in is obviously a lot easier than over internet. Maybe your address is being blocked as spam or something. Anyway the B6 issue you were investigating is probably a special order or something that they would need to build for you, which, no doubt they can do. In that case, it's probably well worth speaking directly over the phone to one of them.