DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Another Tascam P2 Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/83823-another-tascam-p2-question.html)

Glenn Davidson January 13th, 2007 02:34 PM

Another Tascam P2 Question

I will be getting my new Tascam P2 from B&H on Monday. In the mean time, I am curious about the Time Code cable required. Is the pin out XLR Time Code input on the P2 the same as the type used for audio connections? Will audio cables and adapters work? What exactly is the TC signal, modulated audio? I ordered a BNC to XLR male connection cable that I assume will work, but detailed information would help. By the way, i love those TC threads that Steve House and others have going. Great Stuff!

Steve House January 13th, 2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
I will be getting my new Tascam P2 from B&H on Monday. In the mean time, I am curious about the Time Code cable required. Is the pin out XLR Time Code input on the P2 the same as the type used for audio connections? Will audio cables and adapters work? What exactly is the TC signal, modulated audio? I ordered a BNC to XLR male connection cable that I assume will work, but detailed information would help. By the way, i love those TC threads that Steve House and others have going. Great Stuff!

The timecode signal is a pulse modulated digital stream. AFAIK, the pinout would be the same as XLR to unbalanced RCA or BNC, signal to pin 2, ground to pins 1 & 3 connected together. Cables carrying timecode should be 75 ohm video cables rather than 50 ohm audio cables. That means audio cables might not work reliably although plug adapters like Hosa's RCA(F)-to-XLR(M) will be just fine. What is your timecode source and what output connector does it have? What camera do you have?

Glenn Davidson January 13th, 2007 03:34 PM

Thanks Steve for quick reply. The cams are Sony 135, I believe. I think the video company will be bringing a sync box or breakout that has BNC outs. I thought that most sync was BNC. I was surprised that the Tascam has XLR in. I was planning on using the Time Code BNC to XLR cable for a short run and possibly extending that with a audio XLR cable Maybe not a good idea?

Steve House January 13th, 2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
Thanks Steve for quick reply. The cams are Sony 135, I believe. I think the video company will be bringing a sync box or breakout that has BNC outs. I thought that most sync was BNC. I was surprised that the Tascam has XLR in. I was planning on using the Time Code BNC to XLR cable for a short run and possibly extending that with a audio XLR cable Maybe not a good idea?

I can't say for certain but it might be iffy to use an audio cable for the extension. Would be better to use a 75 ohm BNC(F) to BNC(M) extension video cable.

Glenn Davidson January 13th, 2007 05:22 PM

I came to he same conclusion. I will get a Canare BNC run and use that. Thanks for your help and all the good info on the other threads.