DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Giant Squid - mono or stereo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/84113-giant-squid-mono-stereo.html)

Vince Baker January 17th, 2007 07:33 AM

Giant Squid - mono or stereo

So, i now have obtained the illusive iRivers, got my hands on two 895s (seems they were the only two left in the known universe, well the internet anyway!). I have numbered my questions as reading it, looks too mixed.

1. I see from searching the forums that a good pairing is the giant squid but i am unsure as which one to go for. I see there is a mono version specifically for the iRiver 700/800 series but not sure if I should go for mono or stereo.

2. I also have not managed to locate a UK dealer or website that I can purchase them from. I will buy direct from US if required but would be great if there was a europe outlet.

3. Also, I looked at a list of recording times in mono and stereo against Storage Rate (Kbps) and wondered what the acceptable lower limit was for recording or if the lower limit was indeed the highest setting...

Any help/comments greatly appreciated as I need to get them as soon as for next wedding on 17th Feb.

Steve House January 17th, 2007 07:42 AM

My feeling is that the notion of a stereo lav is an oxymoron. Stereo implies a mic setup with a fixed orientation and you're not going to have that with a mic on someone's clothing. There might be some use for stereo when you're using them as a concealed plant mic but since you're picking up dialog, the norm is to record that in mono anyway. Go with the mono mic.

Vince Baker January 17th, 2007 07:48 AM

Thanks for the rapid response!

Matthew Crawley January 18th, 2007 03:54 PM

The iriver quirk (taken from http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm):

Quote:

The Iriver recorder requires a mono microphone to have a certain type of mono plug in order to record in the mono mode. If the Iriver detects a stereo plug it will automatically switch to stereo mode.

To avoid this the "+" of the mic has to be connected to the the ring of the plug. "Tip" is left open. The Iriver thus detects it as a mono mic.

Our Iriver Omni Mono Microphones are wired this way.

Another different feature of this mic is the use of a more sensitive microphone capsule. It is the same one used on the Mini Mono Gold and Stereo Oak mics.

Allan Black January 18th, 2007 04:08 PM

I agree with Steve, the mono GS lav. is best, and the omni sounds better than the cardioid. I've got some of each of all the GS mics. The stereo is actually 2 mono mics, each on short cables into the one box.

I think you should also get their 9V battery box. Sounds better when you add a 15' extension lead to the lav.

Andreas Griesmayr January 19th, 2007 10:08 AM

As mentioned when used clipped on a person to record his voice you would want a single mono mic, if it was a Giant Squid better the omni.

Since you have 2 irivers, if you get 2 mono mics you can easily combine the two to try out stereo configurations e.g. 'spaced omnis' to record music or ambience. Forthat you need to build yourself an adapter so that one records to the left, the other to the right channel ( I have done that for my 2 Giant Squid omnis )

You won't find an outlet in Europe and there also is no need for one:
Shippping from the US when ordering directly from Giant Squid is 5 USD only, and often there is a special offer for each mic for 25 USD instead of 30 UDS.

Vito DeFilippo January 19th, 2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Baker
2. I also have not managed to locate a UK dealer or website that I can purchase them from. I will buy direct from US if required but would be great if there was a europe outlet.

As Andreas says, there is no europe outlet. Giant Squid is a one man band. Darren builds all the mics himself, as far as I know, and his shipping is fast and very reasonably priced. If you email him, he answers quickly as well.

Get the right angled connectors for the 895, since the mic input is on the side.

Quote:

3. Also, I looked at a list of recording times in mono and stereo against Storage Rate (Kbps) and wondered what the acceptable lower limit was for recording or if the lower limit was indeed the highest setting.
I would indeed use the highest setting (160?), as even this is just good enough, but will indeed give you acceptable results for wedding audio.