DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lavalier with battery power and standard XLR plug? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/84284-lavalier-battery-power-standard-xlr-plug.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi January 19th, 2007 02:13 AM

Lavalier with battery power and standard XLR plug?

Are there any decent lavaliers that can work without phantom power but come with XLR pug? I just made a mistake and ordered a AKG wireless diversity system to plug to my XLR mics but unfortunately there are small issue with it, it doesn`t provide phantom power.
So I need to get a omini lavalier that is self powered if needed and with as compact as possible battery power module. AT pro 70 has power module too big in my opinion.
Another way would be to get a pahntom power supply in between mic and wireless transmitter but I don`t have a clue is those exist in small form.

Can someone give me a glue what kind of mics are usable with this AKG WMS 40 Pro wireless plug anyway. It says "Professional XLR connector matching all dynamic microphones" that got me confused at first I quess I`ve never used dynamics.

Thanks in advance,
T

Jarrod Whaley January 19th, 2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
Can someone give me a glue what kind of mics are usable with this AKG WMS 40 Pro wireless plug anyway. It says "Professional XLR connector matching all dynamic microphones" that got me confused at first I quess I`ve never used dynamics.

You just need dynamic microphones--which don't require power, or else you need condensers that are battery-powered.

Jim Michael January 19th, 2007 06:05 AM

Sanken COS-11 comes with a AA battery. Never tried it with the battery and IIRC the performance numbers are different with the battery compared to phantom. You might want to read up on the specs on their website.

Toenis Liivamaegi January 19th, 2007 06:52 AM

Sanken COS-11 isn`t available in Europe at the moment as far as I know and ordering from B&H doesn`t make much sense as it`s too expensive to import.

In anyone knows a place in EU where I can order it online it would be really helpful.

Thanks,
T

Paul Jefferies January 19th, 2007 07:02 AM

If I understand what you want, You could try a Sony ECM-44B - Omni-Directional Lavalier Condenser Microphone. Its battery powered only (No phantom) and has an XLR connector. Also, its quite cheap compared to other Sony's

Bill Hamell January 19th, 2007 09:30 AM

From the Audio-Technica site...

Audio-Technica’s omnidirectional AT899 is engineered for intelligible, accurate voice reproduction. Its low-profile design (a mere 5 mm in diameter) assures minimum visibility. The mic may be worn as a lavalier and is easily hidden in clothing or hair. It offers the convenience of battery or phantom power; its switchable low-frequency roll-off reduces popping...

It has an XLR out on the power module for your AKG WMS 40 Pro wireless plug.

I'm using Audio-Technica’s AT831b Cardioid Condenser Lavalier Microphone (wired.)
It sounds very natural and I get good remarks about the sound quility.
It too has an XLR out on the power module

Bill

Peter Rhalter January 19th, 2007 10:14 AM

The Sony ECM-44B lavalier runs on a AA battery (or 48v) and also sounds quite good.

Best wishes,
Peter Rhalter

Toenis Liivamaegi January 19th, 2007 02:34 PM

I went for AT899 with the power module as it has been my faw mic for the price for a long time...
... hopefully it will work with the AKG wms 40 pro system plug else it will be attached to Zoom H4 - kind of wireless too if really needed.

Thanks,
T

Steve House January 19th, 2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Are there any decent lavaliers that can work without phantom power but come with XLR pug? I just made a mistake and ordered a AKG wireless diversity system to plug to my XLR mics but unfortunately there are small issue with it, it doesn`t provide phantom power.
So I need to get a omini lavalier that is self powered if needed and with as compact as possible battery power module. AT pro 70 has power module too big in my opinion.
Another way would be to get a pahntom power supply in between mic and wireless transmitter but I don`t have a clue is those exist in small form.

Thanks in advance,
T

I'm confused. When you ordered your wireless setup, did you get a receiver, a bodypack transmitter, and also the plugon as an additional transmitter unit or did you just get a receiver and the plugon as the only transmitter?

Toenis Liivamaegi January 21st, 2007 07:35 AM

Steve, I ordered only on-camera divesity reciever and plug-on transmitter for occasional wireless mic needs because dedicated wireless lavaliers are not usable in wired configurations and vice versa in most cases. Fortunately I hadn`t ordered a lavalier yet so the AT899 was a perfect match.

T

Steve House January 21st, 2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Steve, I ordered only on-camera divesity reciever and plug-on transmitter for occasional wireless mic needs because dedicated wireless lavaliers are not usable in wired configurations and vice versa in most cases. Fortunately I hadn`t ordered a lavalier yet so the AT899 was a perfect match.

T

You are mistaken in the assumption that a wireless lav with a bodypack transmitter is not usable for a wired setup. The lav mic isn't hardwired to the bodypack transmitter. Instead, it plugs into it. And what plugs, unplugs <grin> Many, if not most, of the better quality lavs such as Countryman, etc, are available with combination configurations so that when you unplug from the bodypack you can plug it into a short breakway extension equipped with an XLR connector that has the necessary electronics inside to convert the 48V phantom coming from your camera or mixer to whatever voltage the mic capsule requires. So you end up with a choice of...

[mic capsule] -------->[plug][XLR]------>[camera/mixer]
camera/mixer supplying mic power
or
[mic capsule]--------->[plug][bodypack transmitter]
bodypack supplying mic power

with the long arrows representing cables.

So you run the mic directly to the belt -worn transmitter when you go wireless or to the XLR-equipped pigtail that accepts your mic cable from the mixer when you want to connect it hard-wired.