DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE NTG-1 and BEACHTEK DXA-10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/84906-rode-ntg-1-beachtek-dxa-10-a.html)

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 03:08 AM

RODE NTG-1 and BEACHTEK DXA-10

i just bought a RODE NTG-1 mic wth phantom power and a BEACHTEK DXA-10 which provides phantom power. well nothing works. no audio but static noise. i have tried everything from changing cables to hooking to differen cameras. i am using a canon xl1s. can someone help me out on this. am i doing something wrong?

thanks
mike

Steve House January 27th, 2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Sweeney
i just bought a RODE NTG-1 mic wth phantom power and a BEACHTEK DXA-10 which provides phantom power. well nothing works. no audio but static noise. i have tried everything from changing cables to hooking to differen cameras. i am using a canon xl1s. can someone help me out on this. am i doing something wrong?

thanks
mike

The Rode mic is mono so it only will feed one channel of the Beach, while the Beach is not a mixer and will only send a signal out on the output corresponding to the channel the mic is plugged into. If you plug the mic into the left input on the Beach, the right output will be silent. Keep that in mind as you test

How are you connecting it to the camera - RCAs, stereo mini, or mono mini? The RCA's are line level outputs while the miniplug is a mic level output - if you plug it into a line in on the camera you'll get nothing. Remember to turn on both power switches, the main power to the Beach itself AND the phantom power to the channel the mic is on? Sure your batteries are fresh? Tried both extremes of the volume control for the channel your using - the instructions say they are attenuators which I'd interpret to mean they cut, not boost - so as you turn them clockwise from zero up to 10, the output volume should get lower. Turning them all the way up would mean the signal is cut off. Try first with them at zero or mid-scale.

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 02:43 PM

okay, thanks for the reply.

this is how i have it set up.

i plug the xlr cable into the mic and then into one of the channels on the dxa-10. i then plug in some RCA cables from the dxa-10 to my canon xl1s into the audio 1 inputs on the back of the camera. i turn the dxa-10 on and the phantom power associated with the right channel. i plug my headphones into the headphone port on the camera and turn the volume up. all i hear is static.

another question is...should i have the camera on "line" or mic" for the audio 1 inputs?

when i have it set on "mic" there is a loud buzzing noise that gets louder as you turn the knob on the dxa-10 to #10. if the camera is on "line" it is quiet and as you turn the dxa-10 knob up to 10 a quieter buzzing noise can be heard.

do you have to have special cables for this, like a special xlr or rca cable?

thank you for your help.
mike

Steve House January 27th, 2007 05:43 PM

The RCA outputs of the Beach are line level so the camera should be on line as well. Do you have a stereo amplifier or headphone amp available that you can take the line outs from the Beach and plug into to see if things are working properly up to there?

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 06:47 PM

i will check that out and reply soon. thanks.

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 08:02 PM

well i plugged the mic into the dxa-10 and then from there using an RCA to my home stereo reciever and the weird thing is when i hold the dxa-10 and like rub it it makes the should of me rubbing it on the speakers...but no sound from the mic yet there was no static this time.

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 08:11 PM

my friend is bring over a shure vocal microphone without phantom power and i am going to try that.

Steve House January 27th, 2007 08:50 PM

You might have a bad mic or more likely a faulty mic cable.

Michael Sweeney January 27th, 2007 09:13 PM

that's what i am thinking. i am pretty sure the cable is good because my friend brought it from his house where he used it earlier. it sucks if the mic is bad because i just bought it brand new. we will see when my friend comes over with his other microphone we can test wil.

thanks for the help.