DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Alternative to a Rode NT3 for concert recording? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/86712-alternative-rode-nt3-concert-recording.html)

Craig Irving February 16th, 2007 04:55 PM

Alternative to a Rode NT3 for concert recording?

I've been using the Rode NT3 a lot lately for concert recording. The quality is fantastic, but it's just too heavy when I combine it with the Rode SM5 shockmount too.

Is there a lighter solution that can give me the same quality? I don't mind paying a little bit more money. Maybe the Audio Technica 4053a?

I had no idea this thing would be so heavy.
The AT seems to be almost 1/3rd of the weight.

Steve House February 16th, 2007 08:12 PM

Can you provide more details such as the type of music and the sort of coverage you need? Are you micing the performance on stage or trying to record from a distance in the audience? Looking for mono or stereo?

Craig Irving February 17th, 2007 04:32 PM

Sorry, I mindlessly posted that and now looking back I know I didn't post enough details.

I like the hypercardioid pattern for recording rock concerts from the audience, mounting the mic on-camera. I'm not too far away from the stage, but it will vary on the club. I've been using the NT3 and I find it very versatile and works great as an indoor mic for short drama films that I've been doing.

That's why I figure if I step up from the Rode NT3 I'd love to keep something with the same pattern, hopefully be a little lighter, and also be even better quality than the fantastic quality I get from the NT3. I'm just wondering since the AT4053a mic is over twice as much as the NT3, I'm assuming it's better...while keeping the same pattern.

What do you guys think?

Steve House February 17th, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving
Sorry, I mindlessly posted that and now looking back I know I didn't post enough details.

I like the hypercardioid pattern for recording rock concerts from the audience, mounting the mic on-camera. I'm not too far away from the stage, but it will vary on the club. I've been using the NT3 and I find it very versatile and works great as an indoor mic for short drama films that I've been doing.

That's why I figure if I step up from the Rode NT3 I'd love to keep something with the same pattern, hopefully be a little lighter, and also be even better quality than the fantastic quality I get from the NT3. I'm just wondering since the AT4053a mic is over twice as much as the NT3, I'm assuming it's better...while keeping the same pattern.

What do you guys think?

The 4053a is a nice mic. Another in the same price range is the AKG Blueline series SE300/CK93 combo.

Jay Massengill February 19th, 2007 09:42 AM

The 4053a is a very good mic but it does have a dramatically different frequency response than the NT3, especially in the bass region. It also has much higher output, is considerably smaller and of course is full 48V phantom power only. So it would be a very different animal, maybe you could try one before buying.
Another candidate would be the newer Audio Technica U873r (an improved version of the original AT873r). It's about $190 online and has slightly lower output and similar phantom requirements as the NT3 (no battery option though). It would sound different obviously so it would be up to you to decide, but it is considerably smaller and is supposed to have better RF (cellphone) protection. It's another versatile low-cost mic if your preamps are already working well with a moderate sensitivity mic like the NT3 during loud recordings.

Craig Irving May 14th, 2007 09:07 AM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking at purchasing the AT4053a again to replace my NT3.

But I was comparing the frequency response as suggested by Jay, and it seems they are both 20-20,000 Hz. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Steve House May 14th, 2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving (Post 678869)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking at purchasing the AT4053a again to replace my NT3.

But I was comparing the frequency response as suggested by Jay, and it seems they are both 20-20,000 Hz. Is there something I'm overlooking?

The responce range isn't the full story. Also look at the shape of the curve over that range.

Doug Lange May 14th, 2007 11:55 PM

I've been studying the polar patterns as well as frequency response. Between the frequency curve and the polar pattern, you will get an idea as to how much off axis coloration a mic will have. As a contrast, look at a variety of brands and types. I looked at some AKG mics and noticed how flat the C451b cardioid is compared to a C1000s, which translates into a clean looking polar pattern, too. Check out the "top" mics and their specs in order to have a better understanding of the more moderately priced mics you (and I) will be mounting on your camcorder.

Handling noise is another consideration. Who needs a mic mounted on cam that picks up the sound of your hand brushing over the lens as you ajust the iris.

Oleg Kaizerman May 15th, 2007 07:56 AM

check the mbho 604 with ka -200 , exellent sound , very small .