DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Electrovoice 635A vs. 635N/DB handheld mics... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/88157-electrovoice-635a-vs-635n-db-handheld-mics.html)

Joshua Wachs March 5th, 2007 08:11 AM

Electrovoice 635A vs. 635N/DB handheld mics...

I am about to purchase a handheld mic for occasional use and had narrowed my choice down the the 635A... but I then came across the 635N/D for a few dollars more...

I found this description: "The Electro-Voice 635N/D and 635N/D-B dynamic omnidirectional microphones are offspring of the legendary 635A microphone. Built with the same rugged design of the 635A, the 635N/D and 635N/D-B offer a new neodymium N/DYM ® magnet structure for greater sensitivity. Designed for increased ruggedness to meet the demands of exacting professional applications, the 635N/D's and 635N/D-B's are ideally suited for electronic news production (ENG), electronic field pro-duction (EFP), television, film and radio remotes and demanding PA applications."

but haven't found any comparisons. Also, I'm by no means a sound pro so the technology described above doesn't tell me a lot.

Should I just stick w/ the 635A or is the 635N/D a significant upgrade?

Thanks!

- Joshua

Andy Tejral March 5th, 2007 10:48 AM

Essentially what the techno-speak means is that the n/d mics are louder. If you operate in a high RF environment, this could help overcome hearing radio stations in the mic. Otherwise, its a money issue.

OTOH, you may want to consider the RE-50. It is a 635 with additional blast filtering for wind and plosive sounds.

They are both great mics and extremely rugged--you can use 'em as a hammer if you need to...

Tim Gray March 5th, 2007 10:52 AM

I'd buy (and did) the ND one. However, Andy's suggestion is good - check out the RE-50 - same mic plus better wind protection and shock mounting.

John Dewey March 5th, 2007 10:55 AM

I would also recommend purchasing the EV RE50. The fact that the microphone capsule is isolated within a shockmount means that you get far less handling noise when holding the microphone. I own one and have been very happy with it. It will last forever.

Joshua Wachs March 5th, 2007 11:16 AM

Awesome.

thank you so much for your replies!!!

Joshua Wachs March 5th, 2007 11:26 AM

and the re-50n

is the same upgrade to the 635 right? I can't imagine any RF issues I would have...

Steve House March 5th, 2007 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshua Wachs (Post 636257)
is the same upgrade to the 635 right? I can't imagine any RF issues I would have...

You'd be surprised where RF interference can creep in. Nearby broadcasters, taxi's and police cars, people on set or onlookers with cellphones and Blackberrys, etc. The latter are especially bad since they "phone home" every few minutes as long as they're powered up even when they're not in use

Joshua Wachs March 5th, 2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 636261)
You'd be surprised where RF interference can creep in. Nearby broadcasters, taxi's and police cars, people on set or onlookers with cellphones and Blackberrys, etc. The latter are especially bad since they "phone home" every few minutes as long as they're powered up even when they're not in use

Ok, so basically, if I have the cash, spend it.

Thanks!

Bill Davis March 5th, 2007 01:25 PM

Joshua,

Sorry, I'm gonna be contrary here.

I'd buy the original 635. Well actually, I did. About 20 years ago. It's still in the bottom of my camera run bag.

Number of times I've had issues with RF = 0
Number of times I've had issues with sound quality = 0
Number of times I've wished it had more "gain" = 0
Number of times I've had issues with reliability = 0
Number of times I've wished for a BIGGER space eater in my bag? = 0
Number of times it's saved my butt = countless.

Yes, the RE-50 is a more robust mic in poor (windy) conditions. If you're buying a primary interview stick mic for continual news use in a wide range of weather, that would be a better choice.

Yes, the N/D version is more "sensitive" - which is better sometimes and worse sometimes - primarily when the environment is noisy.

What the 635 is nearly PERFECT for, however, is as a "whoops" mic - which is to say if you suddenly find yourself needing to record sound, and you didn't have time to plan things out - and you MUST make a decent recording. That small, virtually indestructible stick mic that's been lying unnoiticed in the bottom of your camera bag - alternately overheated, and chilled, and having suffered the slings and arrows of the worst the baggage handling bretheren can dish out for 4 years WILL rise up and do the job - no questions asked.

Don't just ask me. Ask the thousand working videograhers who've had them rattling around in THEIR bags for years.

That does NOT say other mics won't perform nearly the same, perhaps being a bit larger, or prissier, or just a skosh less reliably.

But the 635 has EARNED it's place in countless camera bags by being simple, and small and UTTERLY reliable.

If you want a mic you can admire and fawn over. Buy something else. If you want something you can pay for once, toss in the bag and NEVER need to think about again until you need it to save your shoot - well, that's EXACTLY the sustained reputation of the 635.

Kinda funny how most mic models are RETIRED when new (supposedly better) versions come out. But a precious few like th 635 sells, essentially unchanged - after more than 40 years in service?

Good luck with your choice. Let us know how it turns out.