Rode Videomic Experience at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode Videomic Experience

Are any of you using a Rode Videomic on a Sony VX-2100? I just bought one and have noticed that it runs extremely hot and picks up every little noise the camera makes to include motor noise to the slightest hand movement. I have to turn down the record input to around 5 to 10 db and that is just not enought to get good audio. I would like to hear any of your experiences with this mic. Thanks.

Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Anderson View Post
Are any of you using a Rode Videomic on a Sony VX-2100? I just bought one and have noticed that it runs extremely hot and picks up every little noise the camera makes to include motor noise to the slightest hand movement. I have to turn down the record input to around 5 to 10 db and that is just not enought to get good audio. I would like to hear any of your experiences with this mic. Thanks.

Ron
Just another example of why camera-mounted mics are a method of last resort. It's nothing to do with the Rode mic per se - it's a good mic for the money. ANY mic mounted on the camera will exhibit the same behaviour. The solution is to get the mic off the camera and up close to the sound source where it belongs. The position of the camera to produce the best pictures is almost never the position of the mic that will record the best sound.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree with Steve's comment 100%. For those times when camera mounted is the only practical solution, you should probably engage the Mic ATT switch. This won't change the differential between handling noise and the subject you want to record, but it will put your controls into a better part of their range and keep the mic from being so sensitive with this camera's mic input. Test it out and decide which works best for your situation if you can't use a better mic placement.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Major Player

By the way Ron (and everyone) the latest Rode Videomics have an (undocumented...) 2-level attentuator switch INSIDE the battery compartment. 0db, 10dB, 20dB of attentuation, switchable.

For some reason Rode haven't (last time i checked) put this in their manual.

I would have maybe 10dB engaged most of the time. Videomic is a hot mic.
For sure on camera either 10db or 20db.

Check inside the battery compartment....
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
By the way Ron (and everyone) the latest Rode Videomics have an (undocumented...) 2-level attentuator switch INSIDE the battery compartment. 0db, 10dB, 20dB of attentuation, switchable.

For some reason Rode haven't (last time i checked) put this in their manual.

I would have maybe 10dB engaged most of the time. Videomic is a hot mic.
For sure on camera either 10db or 20db.

Check inside the battery compartment....
Could it be a feature that only newer Videomics have? I bought mine about a year and a half ago, and I can't find the attenuator switch.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Correct, it's a revision to cope with the VMs hot output. The pads are inside the battery compartment as a kinda set and forget item plus it's the only place available on the mic. without a major redesign.

The Rode Videomic is now the world's biggest selling mic of its type.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Unfortunately looks like I got old stock even though I just bought the mic. I don't see a 2-level attentuator switch inside. I really appreciate all your responses and it looks like I will just have to make do until I can get a good wireless system. I am creating a wedding highlight video this weekend to show at the reception, at least for this I can overlay music and all will be fine.
Thanks again.

Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I own a Rode VideoMic and have not only used it on camera, but am now in the process of looking to get a boom pole for it. In addition, I have used it to record audio narration in a portable sound booth with my laptop and it has worked quite well. I put the dead cat on it to help with sound quality and with some audio cleanup in Adobe Audition, the end results have been quite good.

I work as a one man production outfit so weight and quality are important to me since I'm doing all the work. I highly recommend it - it does pick up every little sound it seems, but for the money, it can't be beat in my opinion.
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Cliff, Rode offer a good boom pole. What portable sound booth do you have? Did you make it or buy it? Thx.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Hi Cliff, Rode offer a good boom pole. What portable sound booth do you have? Did you make it or buy it? Thx.
I built my own portable sound booth out of wood and foam padding - made it big enough to put a small light in to read paper copy by - it isn't perfect, but it gets the job done.

I am looking at the Rode boom pole actually - wanted the cavision version but can't find it here in the states - Adorama seems to be the only ones carrying the cavision boom pole I want (model SGP315) and is out of stock currently with no date as to when they will be back in stock. Will probably just the the Rode boom even though it is about twice as heavy (Cavision boom is made from Glass composite as opposed to the Rode which is Aluminum)
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Etzel View Post
Will probably just the the Rode boom even though it is about twice as heavy
Rode now also do a Mini-boompole which is short (about 5-6feet) and lighter.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
Rode now also do a Mini-boompole which is short (about 5-6feet) and lighter.
Do you have a resource of where I can get it???
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #13
New Boot

Videomic attenuation ... thanx

Without this thread I probably would have never noticed the 0, 10, 20 db switch in the battery compartment. Many thanks. Yes, mine has it.
Bob Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Me to Bob!
My Rode just arrived today and if I hadn't read this, I probably would have missed it.
Man those are tiny switches...

Bob T.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #15
DVCreators.Net

Here's a quick pic of the new Videomic models with the adjustable pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Videomic Experience-videomic_pad.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio