Looking for inexpensive mixer - from Mic to mixer to Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking for inexpensive mixer - from Mic to mixer to Camera

I want to go from the Mic (XLR) to a Mixer to the Camera - and I don't really want to fork out a lot of dough while I am working through the kinks of a setup like this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this route a typical way of working - mic >mixer>camera? The last question, will this improve my sound quality as opposed to going directly to the camera?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What exactly are you shooting and what improvements are you looking for over straight in to cam audio? I ask because frankly most of the time you really aren't going to get much value using a mixer with 1 mic other than perhaps tweaking the ranges a bit. Call me crazy but for A 1 mic deal I never use a mixer but then most of that is run and gun so it's impractical to use a mixer.

Will you improve the sound? If you know how to adjust a mixer then yes you can improve the sound but if you don't know how to use a mixer properly then you might do more harm than good.

Berhinger 1204 for about $140 iis a nice mixer but then there are lots of nice mixers out there.

The above is my opinion only your mileage may vary-see your doctor if you have any adverse side effects.

I'm sure other folks who have more knowledge of mixers will help out

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, I want to use the mixer for some indie shorts I have coming up. I thought it might help with the sound quality.
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Like I said a mixer WILL help IF the person running it knows what they are doing-you can have fine adjustments of the highs mids and lows and really fine line the levels BUT again the person running it really needs to know what they are doing.
I've worked with a few that rally do and some that say they do. The first are a pleasure the second group, not so much.
If you find the person who knows what they are doing pay them well and keep them close. Make them a good friend.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Best reason to have an external mixer is the knobs are much better to adjust the levels than cameras. Second best reason is low cut filters and limiters.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM   #6
Trustee

Yes, the filters would be great to have to maybe cut out some noise from the mic.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Has anybody here ever used the Twelco LP4 mixer? I've seen these for sale anywhere from 300 to 1100 US, and haven't been able to find any user opinions.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I recently got a Sign Video ENG-44 field mixer. Runs off AC & batteries. Ty Ford has reviewed this mixer elsewhere in the forum (search for ENG-44). Got mine from B&H, $529.00. Same price from the manufacturer (Sign Video, Portland, OR) but B&H shipping was some cheaper. Haven't put it to any real "field" tests yet, but based on Ty's review it will be perfect for my needs for a mixer for inside/outside.
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

eng-44

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I bought a Rolls 422 last fall and used it during production of a short film. Since then I've done some experimentation with it in outdoor shooting situations, as well.

It's very quiet, pretty rugged and has all the stuff I need for my current level of ability ( and thickness of wallet ! ).

It has a limiter, selectable low-cut and phantom power for each input as well as trim and pan pots for each input channel.

Someone on this forum must've gotten a bad one some time ago and the word spread, because I don't see many people lauding them in here.

But I like mine. Works for me. Wasn't $2000 ! ( more like $ 500 ).

Cheers,

Stephen H
Stephen Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
Major Player

I bit the bullet recently and got a Sound Devices MixPre (about $600-700). The mixer itself is a gem -- great sound, built like a tank, very quiet preamps, and lots of nice extras like a 20khz tone generator, switchable phantom power and a slate mike.

My only knock on it was that it chewed through brand new alkaline AA batteries in a little over an hour! (Even with phantom power turned off!) I noticed that the user guide says that the MixPre doesn't really care what voltage you send it through the DC jack -- anything from 5v to 17v is fine. So, I jury-rigged an adaptor (using a plate for a third-party battery charger) that lets me use an external Sony L-series camcorder battery. This fits very nicely into the bottom compartment of my production case, with a lead into the jack. With this setup, I can run for more than six hours, even with 48v phantom power.

Now, I love it again!
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Inner Circle

www.batterygeek.net

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Major Player

Brian,

That's a little surprising. I usually get 4-5 hours out of a pair of alkaline AAs in my MixPre. Any chance you had an old batch of batteries?
Regardless, your external power solution sounds like it's meeting your needs.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #14
Regular Crew

mixer

I just got a Rolls MX422. Cost £440 here in the UK. We make indie films and the soundman loves it. I know the £1000+ mixer have a more rugged build quality but when it comes to sound quality I can't hear any difference.
I was told by the salesman that there are a few 'bad eggs' out there,however they test all the mixers before they go out and if you aren't 100% happy you can change or refund.
Phil Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Trustee

What does a Pre-mixer do exactly?
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio