Royalty-Free Music BEST Place? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #31
Trustee

Sunday last day of sale!

11:59 tonight the biggest sale SmartSound has had ends.

I snapped up 4 albums this time, 3 of them Multi-Layer!

Even though they are single layer the Richard Band 1,2,3, and 6 are outstanding values at $24.95! (I already had 1,2, and 6 and paid a lot more than this price for them. Here is part of the email I got from them. Chris has a link in the post above.

========== From SmartSound ==================
We have OVER 30 Multi-Layer Albums on sale for just $39.95 each! That's the lowest I've ever seen them priced. ("Theatrical Impact" is a must-have at $39.95! So many great deals.)

Check them out:
SmartSound Specials
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #32
Trustee

I'd like to suggest you
jamendo.com
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Major Player

I would point out that while Free and legal music downloads - Jamendo is a neat place with lots of participating artists uploading their work, use of the music there is NOT royalty free for use in films or other audio visual works.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #34
New Boot

BackTraxx Broadcast License

I recently purchased BackTraxx 1 for a documentary film I'm producing only to find out they have an entirely different license for commercial use. They told me on the phone I could use it however I wanted as long as the music was embedded with other media and not available for download separately. However, after reading the EULA that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone know what Digital Juice charges for a song if I want to broadcast it as background music in a film?
Matt Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #35
New Boot

Nevermind

Digital Juice just contacted me. I can use the music anyway I wish as long as it's synced with other media.
Matt Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #36
Trustee

@ Chris:What you mean?You have to pay for that kind of use?
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #37
Major Player

Yes, synch rights are not free, and carry other conditions.
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #38
Major Player

Been a while since this post was in active. Meanwhile, as I write this today, 6 months later....Cinescore has a GREAT sale going on, just FYI... SmartSound is changing their marketing and DJ is as well. It is all good for film makers.

Sony's Sale: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...?keycode=64147 Good thru 12/31/09

Last edited by Chris Swanberg; November 13th, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #39
Trustee

Hey Chris, is it easy to use?A couple of dvinfousers were suggesting each other to pick this with other boxes.....I need this for historical docs and national geographic style docs(i wish), do u recomend it to buy?

thx
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #40
Major Player

There are two open submission libraries I use. There's a lot of crap on these, but you kind find good composers too. Of course music is one of those things where there are many opinions.

Royalty Free Music & Stock Audio - AudioJungle
Composers: sashqxxx, soundroll, mich1s

Here is a collection of good tracks I made: Good Music Tracks - brettsherman - AudioJungle

RevoStock: Affordable Stock Video Footage, After Effects Projects, Music and Sound Effects
Composers:DanPhillipson, Darko Saric, DropDrop

Here is a mediabox I made with what I think are good tracks. I even added a couple of pieces I made, though I wouldn't put myself in the same category as the other composers. One of these days I'll have time to do some composition.

RevoStock: Affordable Stock Video Footage, Music and Sound Effects
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #41
Major Player

Marcus.... the "Big Three" companies making music software specifically for film makers which is "Buy it Once, Use it Forever, no further fees, costs, hassles, etc", are SONY Cineform, SmartSound (Sonic Fire Pro) and Digital Juice. There are other sites where you can get sound FX, and individual pieces of music, sometimes for free, sometimes "free" but with a licensing requirement ($$) for use in a film (it may be free to download but has usage restrictions). I use a mix of all of them. It's ideally not a you can only have one... one size does not fit every need here.

Digital Juice Stacktracks are probably the easiest to use and the least "customable" of the big 3. They have an extensive selection though. Used to be one of the best pricing wise, but SONY and SmartSound have started marketing better and now DJ MAY be more expensive, especially in light of the lack of customizable features.

SmartSound is a very good product, and they are making it better. It takes a little to learn, but not terribly difficult. Good selection of tunes. Highly customizable.

SONY Cineform may be the best of all, though it has a somewhat restricted library content wise at the moment and until recently was expensive. Now with this sale it is one of the best price wise. Has more fetures than SmartSound, but also lacks a few they DO have that I like.

I'd make the following analogy - DJ is akin to Microsoft Movie Maker, while SmartSound and Cineform are closer to VAGAS/CS4/Premier/Avid. More work to learn and use, but WAY more flexible.

Depends on what you want out and more importantly need of your music. In many instances a DJ track has been "PERFECT". Sometimes I need more flexibility to tailor the length and sound of the music to fit.

With SONY and SmartSound you can manipulate the music and "sort of" do you own scoring. (Apologies to musicians, I know that is not what you would consider writing a score).

All 3 of the "Big Three" have websites where you can experience what they have to offer. Check em out.

I give a more detailed analysis in an earlier post in this thread.

Chris S.

ps. The idea of licensing music is not outrageous,and if you find something you like don't be shy about asking for a rate quote. I have even found music I liked and when asked, gotten permission for free non-commerical usage, with a proviso that it did not include commecial usage, which would have a fee attached.

pps. I cannot recommend one over the other. If you can only have one, it really would depend on your needs and how what they have to offer fits those needs and only you can know that. They are NOT expensive and I cannot imagine not having all 3.
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #42
Major Player

Tune Society

A new stock music web site with royalty free music is Tune Society.

Tune Society: Production & Media Music Community - Royalty-free

I found the music to be top notch stuff. Of course, because any musician who wishes can upload their tunes, not everything is going to be something you like. But the pricing is very reasonable, you download the tunes right there, and you get some very quality music.

Hope this helps,

Jim
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
SONY Cineform
That should be: Sony Cinescore :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #44
Trustee

Thanks guys: so i'll buy tomorrow CINESCORE!

I was wondering if anybody of u has ever bought song from jamendo, they r very cheap!
But i was wondering if there's something hidden i don't know when i purchase...for example if they have some kind of right once you buy their music for your own movies...i don't know?Anybodu out there have experience in that?

thx
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #45
Major Player

Does anyone use SmartSound tracks for web?

Quote:
Synchronize the music in timed relation with other audio/visual content in a software product, hardware product, electronic media such as DVD, CD and the like, whether for sale or free, and reproduce/duplicate such product up to a number of 10,000 units before needing any additional mechanical licensing.
If you publish to the web I take it that means you need additional licensing if your hit counter goes above 10,000?

Looking at Sony Cinescore's theme licenses I don't see any mention of such a restriction. Is my understanding correct?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio