DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Increasing gain on an ECM672? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/91131-increasing-gain-ecm672.html)

Cole McDonald April 10th, 2007 12:05 AM

Increasing gain on an ECM672?

I just got a Sony ECM 672 (ebay, cheap needed some love to get it working). The gain is a bit low. The electronics are fine, so I would assume the problem is in the capsule. As a precision tuned audio instrument, is there a way I could retune it without resorting to replacing the whole capsule? If there's no other way, I still end up with a great mic for half price (after purchasing the $250 capsule). I'd just rather do it with a screw driver and save the money for other things. We have had the whole thing apart, so I'm sure it's not micron per micron put back together the way it came...but it's all operating. Rings are bad...could be the lifters, time for a rebuild ;)

Jay Massengill April 12th, 2007 02:08 PM

It wasn't that high gain to begin with. I still have two that are essentially pristine and their paperwork, but not right at hand so I don't recall the actual specs. They were desiged to be rugged on-camera news and sports mics, not Sennheiser 416 replacements even though they LOOK the part.
So don't expect miracles. Indoors they have probably the most noticeable off-axis coloration of any short shotgun I've used. Outdoors or in a soft environment, and used reasonably close to the subject, they work pretty well if they are in good condition.

Cole McDonald April 13th, 2007 06:18 AM

you wouldn't happen to have any sample of stuff you've recorded, would you? I just can't imagine that it would require me to turn the gain on my XL1s all the way up (through an MA100) to get the on camera meters to peak near 0. My next step on it if I can't figure out anything else is to replace the capsule, which I'm sure we munged up a bit to get it working (you don't buy anything off of ebay for 1/6 the list price and expect it to be in tip top shape ;) ). Even after purchasing the capsule, we'll still be getting a deal. The electronics are all sound, so it's still a bargain.

Jay Massengill April 13th, 2007 08:14 AM

Let's see, I probably last used them in 1998... So I don't have any samples handy. But I could definitely imagine needing to turn up the gain all the way to hit digital zero when used for an average subject at on-camera distance. How far away is the mic from the subject?
Double check that you don't have the Mic ATT switch engaged on the XL-1 and that you have a known fresh battery in the mic and a known good XLR cable. If your cable has one dead conductor the mic will still work on battery power but at half the output level.
Put the bass roll-off switch on the mic in the "M" position, which is still rolled off but not as rolled off as the "V" position.
Also make sure the MA-100's RCA connections are clean and free of fingerprints and oxide. Also clean the MA-100 power connector with a soft cloth.
If the mic sounds ok but is just lower gain than you were expecting, then it's probably normal.

Cole McDonald April 13th, 2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 659471)
Let's see, I probably last used them in 1998... So I don't have any samples handy. But I could definitely imagine needing to turn up the gain all the way to hit digital zero when used for an average subject at on-camera distance. How far away is the mic from the subject?

2 foot on a boom pole, pointed just past mouth at chest from above.

Quote:

Double check that you don't have the Mic ATT switch engaged on the XL-1 and that you have a known fresh battery in the mic and a known good XLR cable. If your cable has one dead conductor the mic will still work on battery power but at half the output level.
Put the bass roll-off switch on the mic in the "M" position, which is still rolled off but not as rolled off as the "V" position.
Also make sure the MA-100's RCA connections are clean and free of fingerprints and oxide. Also clean the MA-100 power connector with a soft cloth.

MA-100 with same XLR cable and dynamic vocal mic (backup) works fine but much more omnidirectional switch in both positions, fresh battery, phantom power from MA100, tried all 3 combinations of the two as well.

Quote:

If the mic sounds ok but is just lower gain than you were expecting, then it's probably normal.

it's got the same gain I got from my ATR55 going through the audio 1 ports with no amplification, just plug conversion.