DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   lavaliers that are wireless & hardwired interchangibly? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/91428-lavaliers-wireless-hardwired-interchangibly.html)

Jeffrey Lee April 13th, 2007 10:55 AM

lavaliers that are wireless & hardwired interchangibly?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any lavalier systems that
can switch between a wireless lavalier and then disconnect
plug straight into camera via XLR.

Jeffery Magat April 13th, 2007 12:24 PM

Many of the popular lavaliers out there whether they're countrymans, sankens, trams or whatever have this ability. These do not 'disconnect' in order to plug into the camera, but usually 'connect' to a power supply which is XLR. You will have to take into account what type of connection to the transmitter you are going to be using (lemo, locking mini, etc..) and then figure out what XLR power supply you're going to need and of course how its wired is important as well.

For instance, just say I have a tram lav with a locking mini for sennheisers. I'll have to get a power supply which takes a locking mini connection.

These power supplies can run you about $100+

Oleg Kaizerman April 13th, 2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lee (Post 659571)
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any lavalier systems that
can switch between a wireless lavalier and then disconnect
plug straight into camera via XLR.

you cant use lavaliers directly with phantom power and there is no cameras which suply low bias voltage to power the mic true the xlr
you will need power suply that gives 1.5-9v or use adaptor which converts 12 or 48 phantom to low v bias

every lavalier could be wiered for transmiter and power suply
not all the lavaliers have the same configuration so even they work with the transmiter they may need different wiring with powersupply

Jeffrey Lee April 16th, 2007 04:43 PM

suggestiosn

are there any suggested affordable brands?

would a would the mics on a sennheiser g2 lav be
capable of this conversion?

Oleg Kaizerman April 16th, 2007 04:48 PM

you can buy countryman emw hard wire and make it work with g-2

or you can check used item section , but these are less affordable - but much better :-)

Dale Guthormsen April 17th, 2007 10:44 AM

Jeff,

I was wondering why you would want to use a lavalier directly to the camera??

what use would it be over a better on camera mic??

Ralph Keyser April 17th, 2007 11:17 AM

A lavalier hardwired to the camera will give you much better audio than an on-camera mic. The ideal position for getting good sound and getting good picture are almost never the same, so it's all about getting the mic to where it needs to be to get a good clean audio recording. The downside is that your talent is now connected to your camera with a wire, but considering that wireless systems get pretty pricey before they start giving you good quality, a hardwired lav is a great choice. Not only that, but all those problems with RF interference and dropouts go away as well.

There are a number of companies that make the adapters that will let you use your wireless lavs on a phantom powered XLR input. I've got a couple from Ambient that adapt the lavs cabled for Lectrosonics to standard XLR cables. They're small (maybe an inch (2.5 cm) long). It would be really nice if all wireless mics used the same connector to the wireless transmitter, but such is not the case.

Jeffrey Lee April 19th, 2007 01:23 PM

Yeah, I wanted to get a TRAM, but I can't find a wireless
system that will go without it besides a Lelectrosonic...

Well Over $1k. I'd love to have a tram system that switches between
wireless and hardwired for all situations.

Jeffery Magat April 19th, 2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lee (Post 663382)
Yeah, I wanted to get a TRAM, but I can't find a wireless
system that will go without it besides a Lelectrosonic...

Well Over $1k. I'd love to have a tram system that switches between
wireless and hardwired for all situations.

BHphotovideo.com and coffeysound.com will provide end connections for TRAMs and other lavaliers. BH should have the power supplies you need as well.