DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What kind on audio equipment will I need? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/93413-what-kind-audio-equipment-will-i-need.html)

Carly Scagnetti May 7th, 2007 09:04 AM

What kind on audio equipment will I need?

I have been making videos and short films for a few years and have just been using the on camera mic. I have decided that it is time for me to buy some audio equipment but I don't know what I will need or what kind of stuff buy.
I am thinking that I want a shotgun mic that I can put on a boompole. Is a shotgun mic on a boompole the right choice for short film type video? I have a canon GL2 which does not have XLR inputs, so I think I need an XLR adaptor like the beachtek DXA. Would a beachtek DXA-4 be enough for a shotgun mic or would I need a DXA-6 with phantom power? Some of the mics I have been looking at are the Azden SGM-1X or RODE NTG-1. Is there anything else I might need to buy that I am forgetting about?
I was thinking about spending around $300, but I relize I might need to spend more around $400 or $500. Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated, because I don't know very much about audio stuff. Thanks.

Ty Ford May 7th, 2007 10:12 AM

Hi,

I have an XL2 wih full audio package. $300 is a little light for everything you need. That being;

Mic, boom, suspension mount, zeppelin, cables, headphones.

Shotgun mics are not necessarily the best thing for boom work. Hyper or super cardioids work even better in some acoustical environments.

To get a better understanding, hop on over to the on line archive on my web site, http://tinyurl.com/39mxce

Download the Ty Ford Mic Tutorial.mp4 file. Plug in a set of headphones and listen and watch.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Glenn Davidson May 7th, 2007 11:17 AM

I recently watched the microphone demonstration video, it was excellent. Thanks.

Ty Ford May 7th, 2007 11:35 AM

Thanks Glenn,

The idea came to me after I borrowed a friend's Canon XL2. Turn on the camera, plug in my mixer and some mics, sit down and explain stuff. Even though the audio is compressed, you can still hear what I'm talking about.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Steve House May 7th, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly Scagnetti (Post 674041)
I have been making videos and short films for a few years and have just been using the on camera mic. I have decided that it is time for me to buy some audio equipment but I don't know what I will need or what kind of stuff buy.
I am thinking that I want a shotgun mic that I can put on a boompole. Is a shotgun mic on a boompole the right choice for short film type video? I have a canon GL2 which does not have XLR inputs, so I think I need an XLR adaptor like the beachtek DXA. Would a beachtek DXA-4 be enough for a shotgun mic or would I need a DXA-6 with phantom power? Some of the mics I have been looking at are the Azden SGM-1X or RODE NTG-1. Is there anything else I might need to buy that I am forgetting about?
I was thinking about spending around $300, but I relize I might need to spend more around $400 or $500. Any suggestions and advise would be greatly appreciated, because I don't know very much about audio stuff. Thanks.

Can't add much to Ty's comments except to remind you to pay particular attention to whether the mics you're considering require external phantom power or have the option of internal battery powering. A mic like the NTG-1 you mentioned must have external phantom to operate, making it necessary to also purchase a Beach adapter or preamp/mixer that provides phantom or some other external battery operated phantom power supply. The Rode NTG-2 is the identical microphone but with an internal battery option.

Taylor Kelley October 9th, 2007 03:51 PM

Audio Set-Up for XL2

Thanks Ty! I ordered your book. I own a Canon XL2 and want a decent set-up to do indie films...I am working on a very short film right now and using green screen for most of it. Reading the sample text from your book has helped already...I will be looking into sound absorbing blankets since we are shooting in my very big livingroom and I do hear echoes already.

Ms. Taylor Kelley

Ty Ford October 9th, 2007 06:49 PM

Thanks!

Hanging quilts out of frame so they drop vertically from the ceiling, rafters or C-stands.

If the scene is small enough, surround the "action" with regular bed blankets, it'll help. Anything to knock down the bounce.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Wayne Brissette October 10th, 2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor Kelley (Post 756607)
Thanks Ty! I ordered your book.

Another invaluable book for people to look at is Dean Miles – Location Audio: Simplified. HTTP://www.locationaudiosimplified.com

Dean's book goes into much deeper topics and can be quite useful even if you're a videotographer and not a sound recordist. That said, it is geared towards sound recordist, whereas Ty's book is geared for the videotographer. Both books have very useful information in them, but I think Dean's book gets into some of the juicy details that Ty didn't. But, then I'm a sound recordist. ;)

Wayne

Ty Ford October 10th, 2007 06:09 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Wayne.

You're absolutely right. I'm a federally-licensed electronics engineer and recording engineer. I could have over-written the book and screwed up the assignment.

I wrote the book after researching what videographers wanted and didn't want. What they did want was helpful information and resources that would help them improve their craft without overtaxing them. What they didn't want was the nth detail about audio.

To my great surprise, I've sold the book to every continent on the globe. It hit the tipping point earlier this year at NAB in Vegas. I had several people recognize me by my name badge. They took the time and effort to reach out and tell me how helpful the book had been for them. That was a very cool and unexpected pleasure.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bill Spearman October 29th, 2007 06:36 PM

Ty, help finding mic tutorial?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 674090)
Shotgun mics are not necessarily the best thing for boom work. Hyper or super cardioids work even better in some acoustical environments.

To get a better understanding, hop on over to the on line archive on my web site, http://tinyurl.com/39mxce

Download the Ty Ford Mic Tutorial.mp4 file. Plug in a set of headphones and listen and watch.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty, I was very interested in playing this ( particularly since I don;'t know a hyper vs a super cardioid from my left foot) but cannot seem to find it on the archive site - is it still there, or am I just not seeing it? Thank you!

Ty Ford October 29th, 2007 08:46 PM

It's a video, so the file is in the video folder. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bill Spearman October 30th, 2007 05:33 PM

Ah, I see. I was assuming that folder was "regarding" video, not full of videos. Thanks. Watched & listened, nicely done - thank you.

Ty Ford October 30th, 2007 05:35 PM

Nice to know. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Regards,

Ty