DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Crackle sound in Sennheiser ME64 and 66 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/9445-crackle-sound-sennheiser-me64-66-a.html)

Ryan Humes May 8th, 2003 05:23 PM

Crackle sound in Sennheiser ME64 and 66

Hi, I'm having some trouble with a mic setup.

I recently purchased a Sennheiser ME64 and a Evolution 100 ENG wireless set of mics.

When I speak into the ME64 (tried it with my me66 for that matter and had the same issue.) The 's' sound when spoken has a background crackle, kind of like paper being crumpled.

It doesn't matter how close or what angle the mic is at, I get the crackle no matter what.

I have changed the sensitivity and the attenuation to no avail.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Both the ME66 and the ME64 are new from BH Photo as is the Evolution 100 ENG.

Thanks!

Don Berube May 8th, 2003 05:50 PM

Ryan,

What camera are you using this with? Exactly how are you connnected? What input are you using? Mic or line level?

Is this happening with just the mics or also when you listen to the output of the wireless lavs?

Please clarify,

- don

Ryan Humes May 9th, 2003 02:32 PM

Mic level, far as I know the Sennheiser EW100 doesn't have a line level (haven't got too deep into it.)

Sorry I made a mistake in my posting:

The Evolution 100 is the plugin module not the ENG so it doesn't have a lav, sorry, my fault.

I have the wireless plug-in transmitter connected directly to the back of the ME66 and ME64.

I have monitored this two ways. Directly through the mic out on the wireless reciever and into my headphones, and from the headphone-out on the camera with the wireless reciever plugged into the mic-in on the camera.

The camera is the Sony PDX10 but it doesn't matter if I have it going through the camera or not, I get the same problem directly from the reciever mic-out.

I plan on using the ME64 with the wireless transmitter, I plugged it into the ME66 to see if I had the same problem.

Everything else sounds fine, it's only when there is an "s" sound that there is a problem.

I tried the same headphones in the monitor out on the Audio-Technica set I have and I did not have the same problem so it is not the headphones.

I have a foam windscreen on the me64 and a Rycote softie on the me66.

Hope this clears this up.

Don Berube May 9th, 2003 03:15 PM

Ryan,

The standard SK100 transmitter does have the ability to switch between Mic/ Line level. Wasn't clear that you were using the other SKP100 "plug-in" transmitter until now.

When you get the chance, please refer to page 70 of your Sennheiser EW100 series manual and check to see what the sensitivity of your SKP100 transmitter input stage is set to.

Try knocking it down -10db or so to see if the raspy sibilance you are experiencing with the high output level of the ME-series shotgun mics is eliminated. Also, don't speak directly into the ME64 or ME66 as you are testing,,, these mics are hypercardioid shotgun mics and not designed to be placed directly up next to a source unless there is an adjustment made to the preamp it is connected to.

Once you have adjusted the input stage of the SPK100 so that the peak LED lights only during peak volume points and not all the time, then you can also back down the output volume level of the EK100 receiver should you find that you cannot get enough leeway to adjust for this with the input preamp level control of your recording device. This is akin to being your final Master Volume level control, while the input sensitivity setting on the SPK100 transmitter is the input preamp gain control. Both have to be optimized whenever you change microphones. If you were using the SK100 transmitter, you could also input high level Line signals too, as long as that source terminated in a monophonic 1/8" TRS plug. I often times use two SK100's to transmit stereo line signals as I see fit.

Please do write back and let us know how you make out,

- don

Ryan Humes May 15th, 2003 07:23 PM

Thanks for the help! Sat down and played with the sensitivity of the transmitter and volume on the reciever.

Lo and behold, "raspy sibilance" (great term by the way!) is gone, audio is crystal clear (well there is a small amount of hiss, but I'm not concerned with that now.)

The audio was distorting, for some reason I noticed it most on sibilant sounds.

Thanks again!