DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   most appropriate sennheisers for narrative work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/94955-most-appropriate-sennheisers-narrative-work.html)

Alexander Browne May 24th, 2007 04:09 PM

most appropriate sennheisers for narrative work

I've got the possibility of a really good deal on sennheiser equipment, and need some mikes for narrative drama. I'm using the sony v1p -> blackmagic intensity for sound and image, according to my current plan! So - what mikes should I get? I want to avoid doing ADR as much as possible, I think. I have little to no experience in live sound recording on set. My previous projects have had sound created entirely in the studio in post. Thanks!

Oh, with perhaps $2K to spend.

Jon Goodman May 24th, 2007 07:05 PM

I recently bought a Sennheiser MKH416 and have been pretty pleased with the results so far. It sounds great outdoors, perhaps not the best for interiors, I still find it performs well.

Ty Ford May 24th, 2007 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Browne (Post 685807)
I've got the possibility of a really good deal on sennheiser equipment, and need some mikes for narrative drama. I'm using the sony v1p -> blackmagic intensity for sound and image, according to my current plan! So - what mikes should I get? I want to avoid doing ADR as much as possible, I think. I have little to no experience in live sound recording on set. My previous projects have had sound created entirely in the studio in post. Thanks!

Oh, with perhaps $2K to spend.

Hmmm,

Well the MKH418-S is a nice mic. It requires Phantom Power on BOTH channels even if you are only using one, but if you have a good mixer, that's not a problem.

The 418-S sounds a lot like a 416, but has a slightly airier top end.

It can be either a shotgun or a stereo mic. The stereo might come in handy.

I have a attached the review I wrote when it came out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Mike Peter Reed May 25th, 2007 01:27 AM

I'd second the 416 from personal experience. I've never use the 418-S so can't comment on that one.

For wireless work the Sennheiser G2 series are very popular. If you keep in touch with wardrobe then wiring everyone might be a way to go to avoid ADR - however, you'll then find yourself with zero audio perspective and you might then spend time faking it in post. But your dialogue tracks signal-to-noise should be more controllable than booming, especially wide exteriors. Wireless is a different discipline to booming though, with a different set of potential problems.

Phil Kay May 25th, 2007 02:13 AM

Yep,the mighty 416 rules. I bought one about a year ago and use it for 90% of my shoots.

Alexander Browne May 25th, 2007 02:29 AM

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'll have a look into that mike. I'm not fully against ADR, so I may decide to go with it. Cheers.

Marco Leavitt May 25th, 2007 07:56 AM

My vote goes to the CS3e. Most useful mic I've ever used. Does really well in interiors.

Benjamin Eckstein May 25th, 2007 08:54 AM

If you have 2k for a mic, I would really check out the new Schoeps. The blue metallic one, don't know the model number. In my experience the Schoeps are some of the best sounding mics I have used. I haven't used their new one but hear that it is excellent and is about 1700.

A guy I worked with swears by a shotgun from Sanken, but again don't know the model.

Marco Leavitt May 25th, 2007 09:19 AM

"A guy I worked with swears by a shotgun from Sanken, but again don't know the model."

That would be the cs3e.

Ty Ford May 25th, 2007 11:44 AM

I have reviews of both the 418 and C3e in the Online Archive on my site. The CS3e has less low wnee than the 416 and 418. In most places today, the low end is rolled off a bit or a lot anyway.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Alexander Browne May 25th, 2007 11:55 AM

Unless the difference is huge, i'm quite keen to go with sennheiser simply because I get such a great deal on them. Much thanks for the suggestions though.
On the same thought... do Sennheiser make a mixer that would allow me to use the 418-S without all that dematrixing jazz whilst still going through the camera for sync (audio is should be uncompressed but i dont know the figures via the intensity card) I quite want stereo but not the hassle of two mikes. The 418 looks like good solution. Or is it easy enough to use the camera's phantom power and mix/dematix in soundtrack pro?

Kalunga Lima May 29th, 2007 01:30 PM

metallic blue Schoeps

Isn't the metallic blue Schoeps the CMIT 5U? There's a good review in dv.com where it got a perfect 5/5 score.