DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode NT-G1 for Canon XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/95175-rode-nt-g1-canon-xha1.html)

Mark Rook May 28th, 2007 04:49 AM

Rode NT-G1 for Canon XHA1

Can anyone tell me what settings I should use on my Canon XHA1 when using a Rode NT-G1 mic. I'll be plugging the mic into the CH1 XLR plug, but was wondering what the channel selection switch does. I can either switch it to CH1 or CH1.CH2. Another thing is the +48v switch. Do I turn this on or leave it off.

Sorry for all the questions, but any advice will be most welcome.

Mark.

Frederic Gittler May 28th, 2007 06:03 AM

This would probably better be posted to the XH G1 / A1 forum... Also, look at page 44 of your instruction manual for the complete procedure.

If you are not connecting anything to the CH2 XLR connector, then set the channel selection switch to CH1.CH2 -the signal will then be recorded on both channels of the tape-. You should also turn on the +48V for CH1 as your microphone requires phantom power; be careful though: the manual requires you first connect the microphone, then turn 48V on.

Don't forget to activate the XLR input in the [AUDIO SETUP] menu, otherwise you will get the signal from the built-in microphone.
---
Fred

Mark Rook May 28th, 2007 06:13 AM

Thanks Fred,

I have posted in the A1 forum, but I think it was you that sent me over here. Anyway thanks for the info, just what I needed.

Mark.

Frederic Gittler May 28th, 2007 08:03 AM

Mark,

I indeed suggested you visit this forum, for information about microphones. Topics related to the XH A1, including connecting microphones to the camera, are best handled in the XH G1 / A1 forum IMHO. Not always easy to pick the best place to post!
---
Fred

Mark Rook May 29th, 2007 02:43 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a 500mm or less XLR to XLR lead. I can only find 1.5m or above. Since the mic is mounted on the camera, I only need a short one. Anywhere in the UK would be best.

Thanks,

Mark.

Petri Kaipiainen May 29th, 2007 03:03 PM

Buy a basic soldering iron, mic cables by meter (comes in many nice colours), XLR plugs, assemble yourself. Drives away the fears of audio electronics, gives some satisfaction...

My long cables are factory made, black. On-cam 480mm mic cable is red, mixer-recorder jumper cables yellow and zeppeilin cables blue...

Mike Banks June 4th, 2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rook (Post 688492)
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a 500mm or less XLR to XLR lead. I can only find 1.5m or above. Since the mic is mounted on the camera, I only need a short one. Anywhere in the UK would be best.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I just bought a 0.5 m XLR cable on eBay (new) for about £4.50 shipped.

It may be worth having another long cable for off camera mounting too.

:)

Mike

Brenda Drennan June 5th, 2007 06:38 PM

Mark,
There are numerous places on the internet that make them to order, I'm in the U.S. but I'm sure there has to be places in the UK that will customize. 12" is an ideal size with a straight female plug into the mic and a right angle plug into the XLR socket. That's what I have with the same mic as you.

Doug Lange June 5th, 2007 11:09 PM

A right angle XLRM into the XH A1 didn't work for me because the mic inputs are positioned vertically and that's with a Neutrik. Plugged into channel one, it will either cover channel two, block the tape door, point straight up with a kink close to the mic or point out towards the lens and covers the release button. It would work OK when it is the only mic plugged in or on channel two. I have enough stuff that is only good for one thing, so I opted for the standard XLRM into my XH A1.

I think a right angle XLR into a Sony cam with the mic inputs positioned horizontally on the handle would be a good choice, though.

Brenda Drennan June 6th, 2007 04:17 PM

The right angle that I have into my XLR input is adjustable so that it can be positioned in any direction. This way, it does not interfere with the tape door or the ability to insert a second XLR into the lower socket. I checked on this feature before buying. Two screws are loosened, re-adjust the angle and then retighten the screws. It remains at this angle with no further adjustment needed. The 12" cable and plugs cost $18 plus shipping, took 3 days.