DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sony UWPC1-62/64 or Sennheiser G2 100 Series? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/95458-sony-uwpc1-62-64-sennheiser-g2-100-series.html)

Darren Rousar May 31st, 2007 06:51 AM

Sony UWPC1-62/64 or Sennheiser G2 100 Series?

So I'm trying to decide between the 2 wireless systems listed in the subject line. I know the G2 is supposed to be great but it's not true diversity. The Sony is.

My shooting environment has no electronics problems but there is quite a low hum from the AC system. Not a good test but the onboard mic in my Mac PowerBook picks it up.

Add on question:
I was also looking at both the Zoom H4 and Edirol R-09. I feel I'd need a better mic than either of these come with but can't figure out which mics would work.

Bob Grant May 31st, 2007 07:39 AM

I'm not so certain the Sony is true diversity. Been a while since I worked with RF but from memory the two aerials in a diversity system have to be at least 1/4 wavelength apart to be of any use.

Seth Bloombaum May 31st, 2007 09:48 AM

both wireless systems are great. Diversity, even diversity with closely spaced antennae is great. At typical distances between subject and camera it *usually* won't make much difference. But then, there's that hundredth shot that it makes all the difference. Especially in modern commercial buildings with steel studs in the walls.

The AC hum - is this radio interference or sound? If it's sound, no mic or system will do much to control it. In general, dynamic mics have less sensitivity to distant environmental sounds, but have very limited application in video work, usually only as a hand mic.

The Zoom H4 has XLR inputs, and will connect to any pro mic that has XLR connection, and will provide phantom power at 24 or 48v. If I were doing a lot of work with the H4 using phantom I'd probably build/adapt an external battery supply of larger capacity than the two AA batteries, unless I could be on AC power.

I like my H4 a lot.

Not familiar with the Edirol.

Jim Boda May 31st, 2007 10:21 AM

I haven't used the Sony. But, I've been impressed w/ the Sennheiser's working range and signal to noise ratio. I believe that both systems have "unbalanced" outs.

For the AC hum of the room, you can roll some of the low frequency off with your mixer (don't overdo it) and / or capture room tone in order to cancel it out in post as a software solution.

As for a suggested lavalier, I like the Sanken COS11. It sounds good and gives me the ability to hide it in the neck of a tie when it's supposed to be invisible.

Curt Talbot May 31st, 2007 12:26 PM

The G2 Senn's are very popular and generally get good reviews. I haven't used them but do have two sets of the Sony UWP series and can tell you that I am very satisfied. Apart from changing the factory settings when I got them, I have never had to adjust them.

I have upgraded to the Sony PMB77 lav mic - works great with this setup.

Ian Briscoe May 31st, 2007 12:36 PM

Darren

I had the exact same dilemma. In the end I went for the Senn mainly because here in the UK it is significantly cheaper then the Sony. I'd hired the Sony previously. The Sony feels more solid and it has a jack to plug some headphones in for monitoring (this is not necessarily good - I once plugged the line out into this!!!) - but I've used the Senn - both ew112 and the hand held mic version (ew 135?) for weddings - and they're great.

Ian

Darren Rousar May 31st, 2007 01:01 PM

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Sen as well.
The AC (as in air conditioning) is low frequency and a constant tone. I should probably rent and test a bit. I may end up doing the whole thing voiced over in FCP.