DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   what type of mic for instructional video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/9707-what-type-mic-instructional-video.html)

Dylan Couper May 15th, 2003 10:02 PM

what type of mic for instructional video

I'll be in Orlando in a month or two shooting a fitness instruction video for STV sales. I'm not sure what type of mic to use. A shotgun mic on a boom and stand seems logical, but I'm not sure what the acoustics in the set will be and I don't want to be adjusting it all the time. Should I consider a wireless lav mic for the main instructor? There will be a fair amount of movement so I don't want it rubbing against clothes.

Thoughts?

Mike Rehmus May 15th, 2003 10:17 PM

Unless it is a strange exercise room, the echos will kill you with a microphone on a stand. Better to use a shotgun on a boom pole if you can.

If not, wireless lav (waterproof) all taped down with the medical tape that does not irritate is probably the best bet. Don't worry about the rig being visible. That's how the networks do it.

In fact, the networks frequently use a boom microphone that mounts on the head. Just like the singers. That would stop the rubbing noise too. Probably simpler.

Ken Tanaka May 15th, 2003 11:14 PM

If you use a shotgun with a boom keep an "ear" out on your floor noise. If you're faced with people bouncing around on boomy wood floors your goose may be cooked; it could sound like "shock and awe" night at the health club. Lavs may be your only practical alternative in that situation

Dylan Couper May 16th, 2003 02:32 PM

OK, I'm going to lean towards a lav mic then. I guess wireless is the way to go.
Can I get some reccomendations for wireless lav mics? I think my mic budget is $500us or so, at a maximum. I'd really like to spend less if possible, as it's an out of pocket expense for now. Are there any decent ones in the $300 range?

Ben Lynn May 16th, 2003 03:45 PM

I just purchased a Sennheiser Evolution 100 from one of the dvi sponsers (Zotzdigital) for $490 and that included shipping. If you can manage the extra $200 for the system you won't regret it. The audio is crisp and all the cases are metal and built to last. It also has the plug on transmitter so you can turn any xlr mike into a wireless.

If you plan on keeping the system for future shoots then you'll want something that's going to last so keep that in mind when figuring the cost. There are cheaper systems out there but how will they work 5 years from now?

I'll also add that it took a couple weeks to get my system in because the Evo 100's are selling so fast. So if you go with that system don't wait to long to place the order.

Ben Lynn

Peter Jefferson May 17th, 2003 11:24 AM

I vouch forthe sennheiser as well...

the best thing about the Senn's is that their totally upgradable.. need a headset mic? Grab on and hook it up...
need to remote an old cardoid? Get a transmitter adapter... need to hook up to a PA? u can do that too...
Yes they are costly, but the end results CANNOT be questioned...
I cannot recommend these enough...