DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Making Redubbed Audio Sound Like It Was Recorded Outside (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/97986-making-redubbed-audio-sound-like-recorded-outside.html)

Selim Abdullai July 2nd, 2007 03:50 AM

Making Redubbed Audio Sound Like It Was Recorded Outside

I redubed a whole scene for my movie because of poor dialogue that was recorded on set. So I recorded all the lines over last night, synced them up. It doesn't sound right at all.

How do I make it sound as if it were recorded outside?

Right now, you can tell it was recorded inside. Please, any help at all. This has been bugging me all day!

P.S. I'm using Adobe Audition 2.0.

Mark Harmer July 2nd, 2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selim Abdullai (Post 705754)
Right now, you can tell it was recorded inside. Please, any help at all. This has been bugging me all day!

The classic way of making stuff sound "outdoors" is to filter out a lot of bass - as that tends to disappear outdoors. If you still have some "wild track" of outdoor noises, that will help when you mix it together. In audition try using the parametric EQ.

Steve House July 3rd, 2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selim Abdullai (Post 705754)
I redubed a whole scene for my movie because of poor dialogue that was recorded on set. So I recorded all the lines over last night, synced them up. It doesn't sound right at all.

How do I make it sound as if it were recorded outside?

Explore the variety of convolution reverbs available as plugins. They can help replicate the acoustic "imprint" of a wide variety of locations.

Carlos E. Martinez July 5th, 2007 04:49 AM

In my old times I had the chance to mix several recording techniques, so I think I can provide some tips on making ADR sound very much like it was "recorded outside".

1) Besides the equalization you may do, like cutting lower frequencies in several degrees, try adding an external ambience. Particularly far-away noises. This may be the cheaper and faster one to try now.

2) Re-dub again, using a cardioid mic but this time paying attention to "sound planes". That is how the sound correlates to how close/far the characters are from the camera. For that you will have to position your actors closer/farther from the mic. Some even use a boom man in the dubbing room, but I think you can move your actors to get the same effect. This worked every time for me. But you will need a large dubbing room which does not add any sound of its own, particularly reverb that will tell-tale you are dubbing in a closed room.