DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Which mic for DVX100 on camera and also boom? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/98718-mic-dvx100-camera-also-boom.html)

Tyson Persall July 11th, 2007 03:19 PM

Which mic for DVX100 on camera and also boom?

Is there a good XLR mic i can use for on camera with DVX100 and also use it on a boom pole for other applications?
The DVX built in mic is not useful for directional sound. Im used to XL2 which has a better mic. Need something like that for DVX>
Looking to spend around $150-200. - maybe more...if nes.

Right now im looking at the Panasonic AGMC100G - this is the microphone that panasonic makes as accessory for the DVX100. I think ill get it.

David Ennis July 11th, 2007 05:08 PM

Microphones are extremely important, and camera manufacturers' accessory mics are normally mediocre at best.

Under $200 you can't beat the Rode VideoMic for sound quality. It's self-powered (9V battery) and not an XLR mic (has a permanently attached cable with a 1/8" mini plug), so booming would normally be limited to 20 feet or so unless you wanted to put transformer adapters at both ends and use XLR cable. I have several of them.

A step up, but over $200 would be the Rode NTG-2. Also a shotgun with similar performance to the Rode VideoMic. It has a metal housing rather than the VideoMic's plastic, and is an XLR mic that will run on 48V phantom or a 1.5V battery.

A better choice for indoors is a hypercardioid rather than a shotgun. The Rode NT3 is under $300, but has a larger diameter than most camera mountable mics. You have to be sure to get a shock mount that will fit it.

Lisa Shofner July 11th, 2007 05:14 PM

I've had excellent results indoors and outdoors (mic stand and boom pole) with the AT897 from Audio-Technica. They go for around $100-150 used and are available around $250 new. B&H has them new and sometimes used.

I use my AT897 with my GL1 and with my DVX

David Ennis July 11th, 2007 05:37 PM

Yes, I forgot about the AT897. Like the VideoMic it's very highly regarded around here as you can verify by doing a search on either one. Before the VideoMic came out the AT897 was the one most often recommended for someone looking to purchase their first mic. The AT897 is XLR, all metal and sleeker than the VideoMic's design. You'll need a shock mount for it (the Rode's shock mount is built in). The Rode is hotter than the 897 (gives more volume for the same sound source).

Tyson Persall July 11th, 2007 08:52 PM

My situation:

I own the AT835b. The AT897 looks about the same lengh and thats the problem - i need a short mic - The one i have is too long and gets in the shot. I have a 16x9 lens on my DVX which is very wide.

As far as the mics performance; I often find myself tapeing live events in a croweded room - where people are talking 5 feet away to camera or to someone off camera. Normally I use a handheld but sometimes you get in a situation where you have to use what you have on camera at the moment. - in this moment you want to be directional and cut down on the crowd noise behind you. so i hope - would these microphones do a good job with that?

Tyson Persall July 11th, 2007 09:11 PM

XL2 Mic.

Thank you but

All of these recommendations are Too Long.

Im looking for something the size of the mic on the XL2 and of the same performace. If they made the same mic as the XL2 in XLR then i would be set - unfortuitly the XL2's mic is propriatry.

David Ennis July 11th, 2007 09:33 PM

The AT835b is 14.5" long
The AT897 and the Rode NTG-2 are 11' long
The Rode VideoMic is 10" long (extends 8" past the mounting shoe) and is elevated 2.5" above the shoe by its shock mount.

I understand that the AT835b is too long for you, but it's a good shotgun. In terms of performance the others will not be more directional than it is.

Tyson Persall July 13th, 2007 01:07 AM

Ag-mc200g

What about panasonic AG-MC200G = $329

This is the mic for the HPX500 DVCPRo camera. Seems like it would be good for what i need. Its short.

David Ennis July 13th, 2007 12:15 PM

That one would certainly be hard to beat for shortness. I have no idea how it sounds, except that the frequency response spec seems a little weak at the low end. Maybe the low end response is deliberately rolled off to compensate for the boominess you can get from shotguns when you use them indoors.

It's still hard to understand your problem though. A lot of people have the DVX100 and must use the other mics we've mentioned, but I've never seen anyone post about them getting into the shot. What do you use for a shock mount?

Lisa Shofner July 13th, 2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Ennis (Post 710679)
The AT835b is 14.5" long
The AT897 and the Rode NTG-2 are 11' long.

Tyson;

Not sure why you cant use the AT897 or NTG-2. I use the AT897 on my DVX wiith no problems. It's never gotten into any of my shots and I've mounted it on the side (the hold the DVX comes with) and in the hotshoe (using an Azden shockmount)

The AT835b is definately too long to mount on the camera, I have one of those too, but only use it on a boom.

Ty Ford July 14th, 2007 06:17 AM

Hello Tyson,

Sorry, you're not going to get really better audio until you get the mic off the camera. It's not what you want to hear, but it IS the truth.

At the price you want to pay, there aren't any really good mics.

The NT3 is Way to big and heavy for your situation.

The RVM is as good as you might find for your proce range, but booming it can be tough because it is unbalanced and long adapter cables can be problematic.

Regards,

TyFord