DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Heinz Contest Entry Shot with HV20 and Letus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/100687-heinz-contest-entry-shot-hv20-letus.html)

Chris Barcellos August 6th, 2007 12:30 PM

Heinz Contest Entry Shot with HV20 and Letus

As a lark this weekend, I shot this for entry into the Heinz Ketchup contest with my granddaughter as the talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLw2EAmEbUc

David Parks August 7th, 2007 04:56 PM

Very nice. Nice concept. I hope you win. What did you use for a lense adaptor? m2, Brevis?

Chris Barcellos August 7th, 2007 05:03 PM

Thanks David. Used Letus35a and HV20... Used Nikkor F2.0 100mm for frontal shoot. Nikkor 50mm F 1.4 for rear shot.

David Parks August 7th, 2007 05:18 PM

Duh...!! I feel stupid. Your post title says "Letus". Thanks for the info and not pointing out my stupidity.

What ASA are people generally rating the HV20 without lense adaptors?

ASA 400, 320, 200???

Again looks good Chris.

Robert Ducon August 8th, 2007 01:54 AM

Looks super clean :D

Go little Canon, go! It's like it was *made* with the 35mm adapter in mind with it's latitude and 24P function, eh?

David, I've looked for the ASA answer with google - what I've found is people saying it's between ASA 100-200. The consensus was ASA 120, so that's what I'm going to go by for now. By all means, I challenge someone to contest this number and prove a higher ASA number - and supply proof ;)

Denis McCarth August 8th, 2007 04:07 AM

A gem! Heinz executives should snap it up.

David Parks August 8th, 2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Ducon (Post 725268)
David, I've looked for the ASA answer with google - what I've found is people saying it's between ASA 100-200. The consensus was ASA 120, so that's what I'm going to go by*for now. By all means, I challenge someone to contest this number and prove a higher ASA number - and supply proof ;)

Interesting.

ASA 120 is much slower then what I was hoping for. That means that with a lense adaptor it would rate at ASA 50 or even less. Hopefully I can rate it at ASA 200. I'm still looking at the HV20 as a companion "b" camera to my JVC HD 100 which I normally rate in the ASA 250 - 325 area. I was hoping that the HV20 would be in the same ballpark.

Of course shooting with the shutter at 48 at 24fps helps with more latitude.

In the end it's an $1100 24p camera which is amazing, so I'm still ordering one. Next week I'm planning on testing it with a dsc chip chart to see what kind of latitude I can pull out of it.

Thanks for the info Robert.

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2007 09:03 AM

David:

Be sure to shoot it in Cine mode, for the latitude test. We are seeing "perceived" wider latitude in that setting, and I am curious whether it really is just a shift in exposure, or if it truly widens the cameras latitude.

Mark Ross August 8th, 2007 10:09 AM

You have a granddaughter??!?!!

I always imagined Chris to be too young to have a granddaughter...

:D

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ross (Post 725452)
You have a granddaughter??!?!!

I always imagined Chris to be too young to have a granddaughter...

:D

I am too young for that ! :)

Martin Newsome August 8th, 2007 11:03 AM

hey chris that was great real proffesional your gonna win for sure it looks good the way you filmed it and the concept is great also, what were you setting on the Hv20 did you use cinemamode ????????? and was you in 24p???????????? and your other setting etc???????? and did you do any color correction ??????????and could you also put up a downloadable version????????????????

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Newsome (Post 725496)
hey chris that was great real proffesional your gonna win for sure it looks good the way you filmed it and the concept is great also, what were you setting on the Hv20 did you use cinemamode ????????? and was you in 24p???????????? and your other setting etc???????? and did you do any color correction ??????????and could you also put up a downloadable version????????????????

Thanks. I will try to post a higher definition version this evening, and give particulars...

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2007 01:58 PM

This is a Windows Media version of the Commercial. Right Click, and download, please.

http://www.makeyourfilm.net/download...render1080.wmv

Answering Martin's questions.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of what I was shooting in. I was messing with my normal settings, looking for something to do a bit different on a 48 Hour project for this weekend. While I normally shoot in Cine mode, I'm pretty sure I was in TV mode, and I was shooting 24p. Shooting at 1/48 second at F2.2 in the camera. The 100 mm (frontal shot) was wide open at F2.8. The 50mm, from rear, as I recall, was about 2.8, also. Lighting was from the window, with a hand held white reflector at subjects right side. With the bottle shot, used a light with barn doors to brighten it up a bit. White balanced from the Window loight. I captured for my Vegas using Cineform NeoHDV, doing pull down on the fly.

Other than adjusting contrast and brightness, these edits have had no color correction. If I was to finalize for actual delivery, I certainly would be doing a bit of levels adjustments.

Denis McCarth August 8th, 2007 04:23 PM

link

Hi Chris. Link not working at this time. Kind Regards. Denis

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2007 04:34 PM

Wow. Tested it earlier, and downloaded fine. Possible server issue.... I will check out further.