DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Mini 35 on the PD150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/10292-mini-35-pd150.html)

Jaime Roman May 30th, 2003 02:03 PM

Mini 35 on the PD150

I'm curious as to how the mini 35 adapter attaches to the already existing lens on the PD150? Can you control the light coming through as you could with the XL-1 version? Also, how do you set the lens when shooting through the adapter (i.e. zoom in or out, manual or auto focus)?
Why can't there be a universal version of the adapter, to work with any camera? Why can't i use the pd150 setup on the Canon GL2 if the lenses are the same size(58mm). Isn't there a version of it called "Director's finder" that is camera independent?

Well that's a mouth full, i hope someone can answer my questions. Thank you.

Boyd Ostroff May 30th, 2003 04:16 PM

You know, considering the size and cost of the mini-35 it almost seems that the DV camera might be considered the "accessory" for the mini-35....

Justin Chin May 30th, 2003 06:38 PM

In short, it's not a good idea to attach the PD150 to the mini35. I haven't tried it, but I have tried it on a DVX100. The results we got for the DVX100 where good, but not as clear and great as the XL1 across the entire frame (chromatic aberrations). With that information, examples and based on conversations with the P+S techs and their tests, the PD150 was not as good as our admittedly imperfect DVX100.

I wouldn't shoot with the DVX100 (with its current lens setup) on the mini35, and if the PD150 is not as good as that, I wouldn't even consider it at all.

As for your other questions:

You do zoom in, and you don't have a controllable relay lens.

Jaime Roman May 30th, 2003 09:04 PM

Thank you for your input. Boyd I never looked at it that way, but you are absolutely right, the camera is the accessory :)

Has anyone ever used the Video Director's Finder "VDF-35 / 16"? Also available from P+S Technik.

Justin Chin May 30th, 2003 09:32 PM

I wouldn't bother with that. The glass doesn't spin so you won't be able to shoot usable footage with it. It's an expensive, high end director's "viewing glass". It is meant to be a tool for fairly big productions. It's great if you want to know what kind of DOF you're going to get in your set up if you're camera kit consists of using 35mm cameras and lenses.

I should answer your question about having a universal adapter for the mini35. Every camera is different in how it treats its glass, angle of view and range of zoom. All these factors are important when you're dealing with putting a mini35 on the front of any camera. The best possible world is to have absolutely no fixed lens in front of the CCD.

Jaime Roman May 31st, 2003 09:42 AM

Thanx a bunch Justin, you've been very helpful.