DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Letus xl? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/110012-letus-xl.html)

Steven Dalton December 11th, 2007 07:31 PM

Letus xl?

I noticed that the letusxl is not available on the adapter place. I wanted to use the letusxl on my canon xl body (no lens). Is there anything in the works(if so, when?), or are there any alternative methods?

Thanks,
Steven

Canon xl2

Michael Galvan December 12th, 2007 11:48 AM

I talked with the Letus guys and they are about to release an XL Extreme version of their adapter ... I would guess that's why the other adapters don't appear anymore.

Steven Dalton December 12th, 2007 12:52 PM

Thank you!

Carl Ny December 25th, 2007 10:55 AM

Looking forward!

Aaron Pinto December 28th, 2007 11:58 AM

The older XL and HD versions of the Letus35 were discontinued in anticipation of the the new XL and HD modular addons for the Extreme. We have many users who have purchased the Extreme and will thread it on the end of their stock lenses until the relay is available. Because this is a modular add-on, it can be used with the existing Extreme.

Carl Ny December 28th, 2007 12:21 PM

Feels safer to get it in one piece...
When can we expect the new complete "Extreme/XLrelay"-combo?
The relay makes the rig more compact than adding on to the 20x lens.

Thanks

Carl

Giuseppe Pugliese January 1st, 2008 07:01 PM

$$$$$

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Ny (Post 799296)
Feels safer to get it in one piece...
When can we expect the new complete "Extreme/XLrelay"-combo?
The relay makes the rig more compact than adding on to the 20x lens.

Thanks

Carl

From what I've heard from letusdirect.com and also from calling Quyen, there isn't going to be an actual "combo" its just going to be an add on part to the extreme that you have to buy extra. And further more i heard something that was quite disappointing... the price point sounded VERY high JUST for the relay (around $2,000 when he gave me a rough estimate on the phone) making the whole bunch over $3,200! This is just as much as a good used hd100 camera...

(now mind you this was talking to him about a month and a half ago, and they were still in building phase, but if that price is true... eeek!)

I dont know other peoples opinions but the $900 letushd100/XL even with its 1.9x factor is a way better price considering it was all in one, no add ons no extra things to buy works right out of the box. This could really push me away from what i originally wanted to do, the only reason why i was going this route is because i knew they kept their prices for the little people. over 3000 is hitting the point where i couldnt afford to pay for this :(

I still think they should continue to make the old letushd100 for people who cant afford the more expensive one, it would be something for people who just could never spend ANOTHER $3,000 on something that was once $900.
Thats just too big of a price jump for me.

Just my 2 bits.

Bob Hart January 1st, 2008 09:24 PM

Price point?

If Quyen is arranging to have custom built, a special relay lens of good quality to equal the P+S, then there is a premium to be paid. People are demanding the image quality, whilst wanting a low price point.

You may well see a consolidation of a specific relay lens type across several of the alternative adaptors such as is happening with the Letus flip module. The market will remain too confined for the luxury of several versions of essentially the same component to be indulged.

This was something Quyen was going to have to visit sooner or later as there were shortcomings with the Minolta 50mm relay arrangement that people complained about. These lenses may be a finite resource, are they still in production? Other more suitable SLR camera based lenses are simply not available for the same price, would likely be nearly as expensive as a custom relay and would still be a hack arrangement at best. Might as well do the job properly and build a dedicated relay lens.

You may well see the Letus products develop into two distinct streams, a "consumer" product for the budget conscious and a "professional" level product for those who require as close to 100% as they can get.

Due to an increasing population of his adaptors out there, Quyen may find himself forced away from products which are lower priced but have a high rate of customer service follow-up required, to products which have a higher initial price but will endure for longer.

The longterm issue is how much and how soon the SI2K and RED systems are going to make all 35mm adaptors obsolete. I see the high-end adaptors leaving the market first and the "consumer" product becoming the main focus again.

As an alternative to the alternative, there is a Mini35-300 for XL on ebay right now. The series 300 is an earlier disk based design.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...p=1%26fsoo%3D1