DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Yes, I'll be getting me an adapter, help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/119733-yes-ill-getting-me-adapter-help.html)

Ivo van Aart April 19th, 2008 02:48 AM

Yes, I'll be getting me an adapter, help!

So, I had fun watching all those video's of people with adapters. Now I want one! Next summer I'm filming a feature-length film, so I want to make a lot of tests with the a 35 adapter before actually using it in the field.

I have the Canon Xh A1.

So, I'm thinking of buying the SGpro! Why? Mainly because it's made in the UK. You see, I live in The Netherlands and if I order something in the USA, I'll be paying a lot of VAT and 'invoerrechten' (don't know how you call that in English).
So, despite the fact that everything I get from the USA is about half the price for me, because the dollar is pretty weak right now, I'll still be paying a lot!
When I'm buying the SGpro, I'll be paying only shipping, because both The Netherlands and the UK are in the EU.

But, if there are other Dutch adapter-users on this forum with experience buying from the USA, please prove me wrong.

Now, quality-wise. It seems the Letus Extreme it the best choice for the A1. But I've seen some great A1-SGpro video's. Would it be, quality-wise, a good choice for me to buy the SGpro?

And do you have some tips for new adapter users? Some things I've might overlooked in my research?

Thanks in advance!

Ivo

Jeremy Hughes April 19th, 2008 01:54 PM

If you're shooting a feature, want the ability to stop down, having dolly shots and jib shots, go steadycam, etc - you want a spinner like the SGPro anyway. I have a LEX, which is great if you're shooting docu stuff, etc but you'll see the grain pretty easily if you're not careful.

Stuart Campbell April 21st, 2008 05:11 PM

Ivo I'm afraid that you will still be paying the UK VAT rate at 17% even though you do live in the Netherlands. You have to be out of the EU to avoid the tax.

I've been working out the best and cheapest way to buy an adaptor and it still works out better getting all from the USA despite the Duty and German tax at 19%!

UGH! Either way we all end up paying too much tax and duty!

Ivo van Aart April 21st, 2008 11:47 PM

Haha, damn it, it's not fair. How much did you have to pay on top of your order when you recieved it, if I may ask?

Stuart Campbell April 22nd, 2008 01:34 AM

Well I've not placed the order yet, but I will be paying 3.7 per cent duty plus 19 per cent German VAT.

If you buy the SGPro you need to add 17.5 per cent to the price for UK VAT.

If you live outside the EU and order the SGPro they will not charge you VAT, but you will pay tax locally at your end.

You can only buy the Letus from the USA, so I need to add 3.7 per cent and 19 per cent to the price. I will be buying a new set of Zeiss primes from the USA too, and even when I add the 3.7 and 19 per cent it's still cheaper than anywhere in Europe. This is mainly due to the dollar being so weak. Which is GREAT news for us Europeans!

Now, that said you may be lucky and avoid the duty and tax. Customs are not able to check every single package. Some people never get a bill. The rule of thumb is that if your package is delivered by UPS, FEDEX or other major carriers then you will get billed.

I'm afraid it's bad news whichever way you look at it Ivo! We've got to pay the tax!

....unless you are one of those really lucky buggers!!!...which I never am!

Ivo van Aart April 22nd, 2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hughes (Post 863568)
If you're shooting a feature, want the ability to stop down, having dolly shots and jib shots, go steadycam, etc - you want a spinner like the SGPro anyway. I have a LEX, which is great if you're shooting docu stuff, etc but you'll see the grain pretty easily if you're not careful.

How is that? Will grain be visible when you stop down the camera of the lens attached to the adapter? Why would I see more grain using a dolly?