DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Looking for Mini35C for rent for feature (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/125023-looking-mini35c-rent-feature.html)

Michael Galvan June 30th, 2008 11:25 AM

Looking for Mini35C for rent for feature

So I am shooting a feature late summer here in New York City, and I have decided to go the XLH1S/35mm adapter/uncompressed route.

I am particularly interested in renting a mini35c for this project, but so far, all rental houses seem to have is the regualr mini35.

Is there anyone who owns the adapter that would be interested in renting it out? The feature is fully insured, so your adapter would be covered.

Email me if interested, and I can fill you in on details.

Matt Ryan July 1st, 2008 10:47 PM

I have one but its for the JVC. Rental houses will never carry the mini35c. Anyways what days are you shooting?

Michael Galvan July 2nd, 2008 12:06 AM

The shoot will be taking place late August/early September.

Is the mount for mini35c interchangeable between the JVC and the Canon XL mount?

If so, I may be able to get the Producers to approve buying the connecting kit for our camera.

If you are interested in renting it out, let me know and we can talk details.

Thanks!

Matt Ryan July 2nd, 2008 12:19 AM

Yes the mounts are interchangeable. It has a nikon lens mount but they as well are interchangeable. I have no shoots during that time frame so I am interested. How long is the shoot scheduled for?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Ryan July 2nd, 2008 12:39 AM

I also have a set of "cinevised" nikons from RPLens that I could rent out as well depending on whether you have lenses or not( clicks removed in iris ring & cinema pitch focus gears applied for follow focus). They are high speeds and have been converted for cinema use (very sharp and fast). If interested let me know. Also you can check out the guy who converts them at rplens.com. I have a 24,35,50,85,&135mm lens set (none slower then f1.4).
Matt
calimatt87@yahoo.com

Michael Galvan July 2nd, 2008 01:08 AM

Very good, I'd like to talk to you fairly soon about this.

I believe I will be going with Zeiss Superspeed Mark 1 Cineprimes, so I will need a PL mount.

The shoot will be roughly 2 1/2 weeks.

I'll shoot you an email in the next day or so once I talk with the Producers. I just have to see how cost effective this would be versus renting the regular mini35, as I would have to buy the Canon connecting kit along with the PL mount to use your unit.

Can you let me know what your rate would roughly be?

Matt Ryan July 2nd, 2008 01:22 AM

for the 2 1/2 weeks pricing here for rentals houses are for the regular mini35 are $855/week & $255/day for my exact setup only mine is the newer mini35c. For the 2 1/2 weeks (~17 days of use) my price is roughly $1850 including shipping back and forth. I will definitely require copies of insurance as this unit is quite expensive and cant afford to pay for any damages. Remember that this is for 2 1/2 weeks plus shipping to you and back to me. Much less than renting.

Matt Ryan July 2nd, 2008 01:35 AM

That estimate is as high as costs would be (wont go above that). Once I know more of your details I can give you a better price. We can work out a deal. Email me and we can talk it over and get you a good price.

Matt
calimatt87@yahoo.com

Michael Galvan July 2nd, 2008 07:30 AM

I sent you an email to discuss this further. Thanks Matt.

Michael Galvan July 3rd, 2008 09:02 AM

Still looking ...

It has to be specific for Canon XL cameras.

Craig Chartier July 6th, 2008 08:46 PM

what was the reason for not going with a 400 series mini?

Michael Galvan July 6th, 2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Chartier (Post 903878)
what was the reason for not going with a 400 series mini?

As of now, I am going to go with the 400 series as thats easy to get for rent.

I would just like to find the Compact version for its better light sensitivity, apparently from a new relay lens they built for the unit ... also for the smaller size and ability to keep the shoulder mount of the camera free from the protruding rails of the 400.

Matt Ryan July 6th, 2008 09:47 PM

and the fact that apparently only 2 units have been sold from ZGC since my purchase of one. I don't believe they are being mass produced like the regular 400 version. Rental houses are not stocking them as well, so there are really not many units out there available. They are much better than the mini35 400 version. If anyone needs to rent one for the JVC mini35compact let me know.

Michael Maier July 9th, 2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Galvan (Post 903891)
As of now, I am going to go with the 400 series as thats easy to get for rent.

I would just like to find the Compact version for its better light sensitivity, apparently from a new relay lens they built for the unit ... also for the smaller size and ability to keep the shoulder mount of the camera free from the protruding rails of the 400.

I think the main reason the MiniC is more light sensitive is because it doesn't have the prism system to flip and flop the image, which means the image is upside down. It's basically a high end Redrock M2. So make sure your camera has a flip function.