DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Trailer for Indie-Feature Film shot with Letus Extreme (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/135015-trailer-indie-feature-film-shot-letus-extreme.html)

Todd Giglio September 30th, 2008 05:27 PM

Trailer for Indie-Feature Film shot with Letus Extreme

Here is a trailer for the feature film "Drawing With Chalk" shot with the Panasonic HVX200 and the Letus Extreme (Nikon Mount).

Drawing With Chalk sneek peak

Todd

Bob Hart October 4th, 2008 07:19 PM

Technology aside, I don't recall having seen one like this since "Blame It On The Night" and the more recent "Almost Famous". Here's hoping you do well as there is a space for it.

Todd Giglio October 4th, 2008 07:31 PM

Thanks Bob,

We think this film could touch home to a lot of people (even though the guys in the film are musicians there are many people who hit that age where they realize they aren't doing what they thought they'd be doing).

As far as festivals go, our film is well shot, has a solid script with solid acting but might not be 'risky' enough or 'artsy' enough. Well, I'll know in the next few months.

Thanks again.

Todd

Bob Hart October 5th, 2008 03:03 AM

Todd.

I had a read of your blogs. I note you have a orange-in-blacks issue with ND filtering. Did you solve it in the end?

I think Tiffen or Schneider have a special filter for this problem which is a video camera thing related to near-infrared light which does not get filtered by some ND filters.

Todd Giglio October 5th, 2008 06:58 AM

Hey Bob,

Fortunately that orange in blacks only happened in the one pickup shot I did myself and some creative color correction helped to match the original shoot. Not perfect, but I think only a trained eye would see the difference.

I know my DP used a lot of filters (ND and Grads) and never had a problem. I think the ND filter I put on was way too much for the shot (I just knew he had used one and I threw on the one that I owned; can't remember right now but it may have been a .6 or .9). I did read after the fact that Schneider had a filter to help with the infared issue.

I really wish I could have kept the blog going. We came to some of the longest parts of the shoot (9 days straight, one day off) but I was just way too busy to post. Chris (my film partner and actor) and I were doing everything during the shoot from food to props and we literally where getting only a few hours of sleep during that time. I do have a really good memory so once things slow down I'll try to post more. My DP keeps telling my I should write a book :)

Todd

Vinny Flood October 8th, 2008 03:21 AM

Looks fantastic and the quality of the acting and editing was great. However, I don't think the 'you're getting too old to be living the dream' idea just applies to musicians, but to filmmakers...

Is that tumbleweed I see drifting pass my screen?

Dean Harrington October 8th, 2008 07:48 AM

Todd ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Giglio (Post 945284)
Here is a trailer for the feature film "Drawing With Chalk" shot with the Panasonic HVX200 and the Letus Extreme (Nikon Mount).

Drawing With Chalk sneek peak

Todd

that looks like a mighty fine film. Take it all the way!

Todd Giglio October 8th, 2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny Flood (Post 948214)
Looks fantastic and the quality of the acting and editing was great. However, I don't think the 'you're getting too old to be living the dream' idea just applies to musicians, but to filmmakers...

Is that tumbleweed I see drifting pass my screen?

Thanks Vinny and Dean,

One reason we feel that the film could have universal appeal is that the 'you're getting too old to be living the dream' idea could apply to anyone who hits that age and realizes they aren't doing what they thought they would be doing, and is it too late to try now? I definitely agree it will hit home a bit stronger to people like us in the arts. The reason we went with musicians (aside from me actually being one and I could do all of the music) was that it seems that industry is really youth driven and the concept of two guys in their forties breaking into pop music seems ridiculous (sad, but seemingly true). We originally had the characters struggling as actors (me too) but it was a stronger idea to have them being 'connected' by the one dream. But yes, as a 40 year old filmmaker, I agree that applies to us. And as I told my wife, this is my last chance... or it's time to move on. Ironic, huh?

And that tumbleweed may just be clearing a path for you to walk down.

Todd

Ted Ramasola October 8th, 2008 01:12 PM

Todd,

I like the story. Films are about stories. -and stories that hit home are the memorable ones. Just turned forty myself.

God speed in your work.

Ted

Todd Giglio October 8th, 2008 03:11 PM

Hi Ted,

I feel ya. I turned 40 in July (my film partner, who's also my brother-in low (a story in itself) turned 40 in June). We had specific deadlines we had to complete before we hit that special number and we did it. We wanted everything in the can by the time Chris turned 40 and I wanted to edit the film before I turned 40. Time goes fast and I still feel like the 22 year old kid who hoped a bus from upstate nowhere to NYC. Where the last 18 years went, I don't know.

I really do feel that there a lot of people just like us and I hope this film does reach to them. All we need at this point is luck. Luck that the right person sees the film. Luck that the right festival chooses it. Luck that people still believe that us 'old people' still have it in us (especially at a time that a film like 'High School Music 3' will end up dominating the box office for quite some time). I still find it funny that a band like Nirvana or Pearl Jam now is played on classic rock stations. Wow, in the time I was blinking, 18 years past.

Todd

btw, someone just emailed me and said they showed the trailer to their high school students and loved it. There is hope yet!