DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   P+S Technik MINI35 AND JYHD10E/U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/14942-p-s-technik-mini35-jyhd10e-u.html)

John Eriksson September 24th, 2003 06:52 PM

P+S Technik MINI35 AND JYHD10E/U

I want tol learn more / is the P+S Technik going to make an jy-hd10u/e adapter for the mini35 anytime soon?

Could you please expand on this subject please:
Eric Bilodeau said:
"I tested the mini35 with a pd150/vx2000 adapter on the JVC HD10, though it is not made for it it worked (not perfectly) but it worked."

..explain more how did you get it to work??

John Eriksson September 24th, 2003 07:16 PM

I did I search and came up with this answer myself, but feel free to expand on this..

Joseph George said:

P+S Mini 35 for the JVC:

I talked to the P+S guys here during a Cinegear Expo in Studio City.

Panasonic worked hard with P+S on developing a unit for the DVX. JVC has no interest on developing one for the HD1/10. But P+S will make one regardless, unless there are some problems with the JVC lens, etc. They'll attempt to make one on the same principle as the SD unit, which would mean about $8K.

What that means: $4K camcorder, $8K Mini 35, $3K for 35 mm still camera lenses; total $15K -- or you could rent the Mini 35 when needed.

This $15K may give you overall images that would be equal to the Varicam without the adaptor. Why? Because the shallow depth of the field is as important for filmic artistic images as good color, etc. Large DOF makes the image flat / video-like.

John´s stupid question:: But what a hell is $4K -I am from sweden and how much does the "K" stand for in $4K ??? Please advice...!!

Eric Bilodeau September 24th, 2003 10:37 PM

As posted on another thread...

The adapter of the PD150 unlike the adapter of the XL1 is a converter made to fit in front of the lenses (the one for the XL1 is made to fit in front of the CCD without lenses). The size of the cameras (PD-150, VX2000 and HD10) are close so I figured I might check out how it could work. I heard of plans from PS+technik for the JVC (unoficial sources) but the process is long (it is not even finished for the DVX100) and I encountered a slight problem in the process: As the adapter is not made for the HD10, the precise distance and focal lenght is not right so it has to be adjusted manually. Adjustment for this system is quite tricky so as the HD10 is of very high def compared to the miniDVs, the screen was visible when the iris of the 35mm prime lens was under f2 under normal light conditions, the only concluding tests where with a lot of light (outside) where the screen was not visible in most f stops. Also, the screw base (or camera stand?) of the mini35 is a little too low and to the right so an adapter had to be "homemade" to fit it. Other than that, it could work.

I did not had the pPD150 adapter for very long though, we where testing the mini35 gizmo on a XL1 for the DOP (of a production I am technical consultant on) and I had this "hunch" that a PD150 adapter might just fit with the HD10. The PAs made a few calls and we had an adapter coming to the office on the next day but as we had one day left of tests, I pretty much made it over an afternoon. So tests are preliminary. Actually, as we have access to a varicam, tests for the HD10 have been suspended so I should not push it further for the moment. The only remaining scheduled test is for 35mm blowup of some early test footage.

If anybody has access to a mini35 with a PD150 adapter and a HD10, it might be interresting to see how it ends up...

As for the K question... K stands for thousands, I don't believe it was that hard to figure out though... :)

John Eriksson September 24th, 2003 11:51 PM

OK!

Tank you for your answers! And the fast reply! It is quite expensive, Is there any alt solutions to acheve the same resaults as the mini35 can give you? I have heard of softscreen, but...

Eric Bilodeau September 25th, 2003 07:16 AM

Softscreen will not give you the same result, a prime lens can let you change the subject in focus but to simulate depth of field, it seems like quite convincing alternative from what I saw.

John Eriksson September 25th, 2003 09:28 AM

Is there any other lenses that can convert the same way?

Steven Galvano September 25th, 2003 09:35 AM

What are some other pointers for keeping the DOF shallow

-Steve

Chris Hurd September 25th, 2003 11:35 AM

Steve

see The Ultimate Depth-of-Field Skinny by our own Jeff Donald. Hope this helps,