DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   4:4:4 10bit single CMOS HD project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/25808-4-4-4-10bit-single-cmos-hd-project.html)

Matthew Miller July 11th, 2004 01:57 AM

Steve,
Pretty exciting stuff in regards to the Micron sensor. The price sounds right. What would be the problem with smaller pixels? Is there no sub-sampling from this sensor? 1280x720 would have to be a smaller window on the sensor? That doesn't bother me too much. The price sounds all-right. What is the ballpark price for an altasens chip design going to be?

Obin,
I actually made my friends watch three or four clips of stuff from www.wmvhd.com before showing them your clip. This included the dawn of the dead trailor, the trailer for step into liquid, the punisher trailor, and the rules of attraction trailor.

From the back of the room, the images from your camera and the images from all the other clips matched up just fine. From seven feet away, the grain in the stuff shot on actual 35mm film is very apparent, where as your clip is free of any grain. The final shot of your face in the wmv file was the point where everyone commented on the fine detail of the image.
Grain is added digitally all the time, espescially for composited CG work in movies. Still, the slight doubled motion artifact, that you say isn't actually in the image when captured, detracted from the overall smoothness of moving images.If you could send me just 2 or 3 seconds of framegrabs of something with a person or two, maybe even converted to jpg or something smaller than TIFF (not that I wouldn't take the TIFF files), I'd love to try and add grain to it and do a few other experiments with color-correction and such.
I know your getting alot of requests here, so it's cool if you can't.

Wayne Morellini July 11th, 2004 09:38 AM

Double image.

This sounds like the same artifact that people were complaining was in the HD10. I think JVC argued it was a trick of peoples mind to do with the shutter, others argued that it was some frame rate conversion, or one other thing I can't remember.

Oblin

I got the hd test.wmv, and most of it seems to be stuffed up with only bits playing, but I do see the double image. It seems to be in every scene (especially the carpark ones), but oddly, I don't see anything at all wrong with the clip of your sister, or the outside flowers clip (only a few frames of moment actually got downloaded for each). To test out the theory I change my refresh from 60Hz to a multiple of 24, 72Hz, it is still there. Did you shoot or process the file of your sister differently? Was that the one you did 24fps shutter. Maybe it is a problem with the 48fps reset thing not reseting properly and leaving a ghost image, but you did say that it is not there in the origional frames, soi that only leavces one of the software packages. Media Player and the codec, does it support 24fps playback, maybe it only does regular 25/30/50/60, I've seen simular things playing a 50i Pal DVD movie on a 60FPS monitor.

Les Dit July 11th, 2004 09:56 AM

Re: Double image.

Yes, with the HD10 people were actually 'seeing things', as it turned out. It's simple to still frame it and look for the double frame artifact. None was found.

At this time I think the HD10 has a slight sharpness advantage over this 1300 camera. That's about the only advantage of the consumer camera, but it's solvable since the 1300 *does* have more pixels to work with.

Here is the frame grab compare I posted before, if you want to see how they look:
300KB comparison frame JVC vs 1300 :

==========================================
========== SAMPLE FRAME LINK BELOW ============

http://home.earthlink.net/~lesd/hd/JVC-1300-comparo.jpg

===========================================
===========================================

Obin: does the current softrare let you load a LUT for the 10 to 8 conversion? Also, a quick look at the noise frames you sent look good, but oddly there is more noise in some midtone areas than the darkest areas!

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Wayne Morellini : This sounds like the same artifact that people were complaining was int eh HD10. I think JVC argued it was a trick of peoples mind to do with the shutter, others argued that it was some frame rate conversion, or one other thing I can't remember.

Oblin
. -->>>

Steve Nordhauser July 11th, 2004 10:06 AM

SI-3300:
You can't subsample with this other than is even multiples so you can't get to 1280x720 since the basic sensor is 2048x1536. This means you have to use ROI (region of interest - windowing). The small pixels mean less sensitivity, potentially more noise (but it still looks really good), narrower FOV with the same lens and more DOF problems. The manual is complete so it is going to the FG company this week for integration.
Altasens:
It has an unusual 2/3 subsample mode that lets you get to 1280x720 even though this is not an even multiple. I don't know if that will introduce artifacts. It has pixels about the size of the SI-1300 - 5 microns. The price is $3995 alone or $4995 bundled with a 64 bit FG, cables and PS.
Lenses:
The SI-1300 and SI-3300 are 1/2" c mount. The Altasens is 2/3". This is just the image circle at the focal point. Here is a good set of tables:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/Lens%2...%20formats.htm

Steve Nordhauser July 11th, 2004 10:27 AM

Wayne:
Remember, Obin is using some used CCTV lenses that I sent him. If you are looking at the two images and the lower resolution camera looks sharper, it is probably an optics issue.
Here are some potential ebay lenses - this is not an endorsement - they just look better than the CCTV stuff:
Buyer beware, it is up to you to verify the optical size. Or you can hit a used place like BFphotovideo.com More pricey but a real inventory and reliable ratings.

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 10:40 AM

I like the look of the Zeiss lens I think I may bid on that one!

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 10:42 AM

Steve how can I tell the junk on ebay is the right size - next the ebayer seller will not take it back ;)

Wayne Morellini July 11th, 2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn : I'm feeling sad at this moment cause I see the technical part of this thread seems to go nowhere most of the time....
Anyway here I go again.

I'm trying to develop an opensource project for a codec for this project.The main idea is to use a mini-itx motherboard with a P4 or athlon (may be a mobile athlon).Now the codec is performing more or less good, giving

There are also some huffman compression working FPGA projects, which I posted before but nobody seems to notice them.

Yes this quiet often happens with the technical discussion. See my recent post about the interveiw at linux devices with the VIA processor cheif, he is releasing the next version with extra processing for aps that sound like comrpession, so you can skip the power hungry P4, FPGA etc. Nvidia, with the Nforce4 chipset, may have 20 Gflop dsp power ready for use with comrpression (aswell as the 3d pixel processor), and other companies, this is most of the compression power you would need, other companies might do simular, and maybe Shuttle, or somebody, will do a small, version of it. The DSP in it is their sound chip, and I think I heard previouse versions were availble for other DSP purposes.

I have February issue of "Elektor Electronics" and they have a series article "Hands-ON CPLDs" and they have information and links, but I thought I had "Electronics and Wireless World"?? UK that has a feild programmabe tutorial series as well at the moment with links to teaching aids and advice.

www.xilinx.com
www.coolpld.com
www.altera.com
www.latticesemi.com
www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/dl/dl.htm
(no more links in that months article, I think I have seen better ones).

I've been thinking about codec tonight (I was planning one for my OS system) and jelled a few more ideas together. Using ideas from the OS's planned 3D compression, and audio/vioce compression systems, I think much higher comrpession should be available. Once you eliminate the random niose and restore the approximate origional I don't see why you couldn't average 10:1 lossless compression (maybe more). I don't even think about these draft ideas much because they are supposed to come out in generation two or three of my OS, and until I have the money for the intellectural property issues (patents and licensing etc) it is just a mindfeild to do it, and I need to keep control of it so I am free to use it on the OS. This sort of stuff could take years to do, my plans go way past the norm and require much more horepower than MPeg 4 compression.

What do you guys think I should do, the clocks ticking and I'm not getting any younger, richer or much weller?

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Nordhauser : OK, I was hinting that I might have something interesting brewing. Micron has a 3.2Mpix sensor that is part of the same family as the 1.3Mpix that Obin and Scott are using. The
This is good, is this the micron 40 chip they were talking about before.

Obviouse Questions: Is it really much worse than the altsens chip, in what way, and can we see the specs? I think I might prefer the extra detail to a bayer Altsens 1080 design. You mentioned Gigabit Ethernet, is it going to be on this camera, that should take 34fps, full frame, is there subsampling to get 1080, 720 at 50fps?

I like the propect of 3 chip (though not the HDD space) 1080, or even 720p, or 8Mp bayer. So what is the possiblity of a 3 chip version on this chip? We are talking about using 35mm SLR lense adaptors anyway, so only the low light, SN, and latitude are of concern for me. Somebody mentioned that prisms for three chip could be had for as little as $500 or a $1K, when is Foveon ever going to come to my rescue? Also my question on dual slope mode, how does it work and can the results be alligned to produce a natual continuose contrast image?

Very Thanks

Wayne.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Miller : Steve,

From the back of the room, the images from your camera and the images from all the other clips matched up just fine. From seven feet away, the grain in the stuff shot on actual 35mm film is very apparent, where as your clip is free of any grain. The final shot of your face in the wmv file was the point where everyone commented on the fine detail of the image.
Grain is added digitally all the time, espescially for composited CG work in movies. Still, the slight doubled

Because I'm into designs for all sorts of things, I have done some simple testing on matching the size of the screen. If you have smallish lensed glasses, close one eye and move towards the screen with one side of the screen on the outside until the screen fills 3/4 of the frame horizontally, this is approximately near the start of the confortable veiwing distance of the second third of s small commecial cinema. For medium width lense it is around 2/3 (the ones I developed it with), for widish glasses it is nearer 1/2 of the lense. It is around 20cm from a 17cm monitor (hard to see). Get a cheap pair of sun glasses and try it out. Any closer than this your in the cinema seats most people avoide anyway, so it is a good distance for judging subjective quality.

I like HD because it doesn't have grain, but it hides imperfection anyway.

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 11:00 AM

Wayne why do I find it hard to understand what you say in your posts?

is it just me??

Wayne Morellini July 11th, 2004 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Double image.

Quote:

Originally posted by Les Dit : Yes, with the HD10 people were actually 'seeing things', as it turned out. It's simple to still frame it and look for the double frame artifact. None was found.
In my case I wasn't, the 30fps, 60fpp footage was being down converted display on no 60Hz rates.

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Nordhauser : SI-3300:
You can't subsample with this other than is even multiples so you can't get to 1280x720 since the basic sensor is 2048x1536. This means you have to use ROI (region of interest - windowing). The small pixels mean

Doesn't matter, a bit more than 1080, Electronic Image stabilisation, Rob?

This definetly isn't the 2/3" Micron MI-MV40 4MPixel that Sumix was talking about before, what happened to that one?

Is it this one, some more information, serial ATA??
From viper thread:
Quote:

Originally posted by Adrian White :
Last week I rang a guy called Steve Nordhausen who works for silicon imaging. Within 8-12 weeks time a new camera will arrive! Here is the spec so far, forgive me if they are not detailed enough.

SI-1920 HD camera. 1920*1080 3.2 megapixel at 24fps poss 23.976 as well. Single cmos chip. Will stream to computer (PC) poss USB2 connection altough serial ata configuration was hinted at.
Frame grabber software will be required. Apparently 10bit and 12bit solutions are available. Images will be uncompressed. Frame grabber will be required along with another piece of software which I'm still a bit hazy on. Ready for the best bit? Camera will be approx $4000!
Frame grabber $1500. Camera will apparently be compatible with 16mm bolex or sneider lenses along with others. Steve mentioned that a press release would be availble close to release which may be July!

I would appreciate hearing what you guys think about this. Personally I don't think it's vapourware as they already have a 6.6megapixel camera that does the same but at different frame rates. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 11:48 AM

see what I mean?

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 11:53 AM

Steve your going to get a really BAD FOV with that 1/2 3.2megapixel chip if you can't do some sort of pixel binning....I hate to say it but we would not want a roi that kills the FOV to a size of a 1/3 inch chip! That will put the image DOF back in Handycam land..not a good thing

Jason Rodriguez July 11th, 2004 12:24 PM

BTW,

FYI, if you're using a 2/3" chip, you're going to get around the same DOF as a 16mm frame.

Now unlike video lenses which have to deal with prism optics, 16mm film lenses open up way more, like down to f1.3, and at that f-stop, you're getting around the same DOF as a f2.8-f4 split in 35mm, which is not a lot of DOF at all-that can give you very shallow DOF like you're wanting without the need for a 35mm ground-glass optical-type effect.

For instance, there's a reason that people pay $115K for a set of Zeiss digiprimes. They can basically open up to F1.6 (the maximum f-stop for B4-mount (2/3 inch Sony mount) lenses), and be sharp as a tack whereas many other lenses fall apart at that F-stop on video cameras (again, there's a prism block limiting the maximum aperture of a video camera). With a single-sensor design there is no such problem, hence you can use optics that are very fast, and as a result get that nice out-of-focus DOF you've been wanting, without the need for a ground-glass 35mm converter.

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 12:59 PM

Thank you Jason, that is what I was thinking - now how do you find a f1.3-1.6 lens that is sharp at that f-stop? I will not buy any $115k primes soon :) any ideas ?

Jason Rodriguez July 11th, 2004 02:20 PM

Any of the Zeiss superspeeds go to F1.3. Also you have primes from Optimo (a distributer of russian equipment) that also go to F1.3 IIRC.

The only catch is that these are PL mount, but you can find adapters for C-mount to PL mount, and these lenses aren't THAT much, around $2K new for the Optimo's (which is a very good price for good glass). I'm sure you can find used Zeiss superspeeds, etc. on ebay or Mandy.com.

Rob Scott July 11th, 2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn wrote:
I'm feeling sad at this moment cause I see the technical part of this thread seems to go nowhere most of the time....
We could always start another thread for detailed technical stuff and try to stay on topic :-)
Quote:

When the moment arrives, I will need some expert coders to optimize it. Anyone here is able for this task?
If it fits in with my own plans, I might be interested. Let me know how your progress is doing.
Quote:

Everybody seems to ask for complete off-the-shelf FPGA projects.The Russian Net-Camera is a working FPGA project...
Quote:

A Xilinx Spartan3 FPGA 1 million gates costs $15
You're absolutely right. FPGA development boards are cheap, so I'm planning to take a good look at that "Russian" project when I'm done with my current project. I think a "box" camera with
  • An AltaSens chip
  • FPGA real-time Bayer
  • FPGA lossy-but-good compression (wavelets?)
  • Output via Gigabit Ethernet
... would be very cool.

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 03:34 PM

even cooler is all the above WITH onboard SATA hard disks for capture and dsp to take care of viewfinders and playback screens

Jason Rodriguez July 11th, 2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

even cooler is all the above WITH onboard SATA hard disks for capture and dsp to take care of viewfinders and playback screens
hmmm . . . <cough>kinetta??<cough>

:-)

Steve Nordhauser July 11th, 2004 05:54 PM

The 3.2Mpix Micron is *not* a replacement for the Altasens. It is just a different product that might fit a certain set of needs. Here is where the Micron data lives:
http://www.micron.com/products/imaging/products/datasheets.html

Wayne on Gigabit:
Most of our cameras will end up on gigabit over time. This is the raw sensor data being transmitted. When using an Intel Pro1000 interface card (<$50) and our custom drivers, expect 800+Mbps (that is bits) with any pixel over 8 bits taking 16 bits. We just tested 1920x1080x24fps@10 bits (796Mbps) and got continuous transfer and display with the SI-3300.

Obin on lenses:
For new lenses compatible with 3 micron pixel pitch, we resell Tamron, Schneider and Linos (Rodenstock). Many of the older lenses are also good since 3 microns is somewhere around the film grain on fine grain film. For $50, take a few shots. The manufacturers I listed start at around $850 for a good 25mm lens. I've had people on ebay do the size test for me on lenses before:

You can check this by holding the lens a couple of inches from a piece of paper, threaded side down. Move it up and down until you get a good image. Measure your height to the mounting shoulder. That is the flange distance. The diameter of the circle will also give you the format (1/4" to 1"). Flange distance of 17mm is c mount 12mm is cs mount (no good)

On FPGAs:
I will say again, if someone has a working design, I will consider licensing it and embedding it in a camera. Right now processors are just getting to where they can do lots of good things in real time - see Cineform for an example of what can be done on a $700 PC.

On this thread out of hand:
Anyone want to prune out the good stuff and add it to or create a new wiki? The ideal structure after the discussion dust is over would be a hypertreaded document. There is certainly a wealth of information in Alternative Imaging Methods.

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 11th, 2004 06:14 PM

Guys, what we are planning with FPGA is the same and more tha what we can do with DSP :)
I don't quite understand why everybody thinks that FPGA are expensive, that their development and programming is expensive and that they are power hungry......it seems so many lies have been told to poor consumers :).

I VOTE for a new Thread, only technical!!
And with access only to registered users (no need to tell you why ;) )

@Wayne, sorry guy but sometimes you dream to much, like a brainstorming of one guy!!
Don't expect the Via machines to be a DSP laboratory.
What is at hand now is more than enough.I say this cause the easiest way now would be to use one of that C3 machines with a simple $100 FPGA developmente board (PCI interface), program some simple routines on the FPGA (to compress?) and then recording to disk.
This way we use normal C code, combined with Handel-C or SystemC to offload from CPU intensive tasks.We have the IDE interfaces of the motherboard, we use Linux, we program a graphical interface to control the Camera System, we use a LCD touchscreen of 7" diagonal (directly conected to Motherboard's VGA) and we also add some De-Bayer simple algo to show the image realtime on the touchscreen.
This will drain only around 15-20 Watts.

@Steve: I don't understand.Doesn't Elphel's camera work????
isn't it open source?
Can't it be licensed?
Cineform's codec is great,sure!! But, would you use a CMOS camera that needs more than 100 watts and a big and heavy cooling system???
GEthernet is great, what would happen if someone combines the DCT transform that comes FREE with some Xilinx chips and an entropy encoding (maybe RLE ).My last tests show a lossless but slow compression with an average ratio of 12:1 for a lossless DCT+Huffman.
I said this because I've posted some huffman encoding implemented in FPGA....

BTW, could someone explain me why the SI-1280F-CL is never mentioned?

Eliot Mack July 11th, 2004 07:45 PM

It would be nice to split the thread into 3 areas:

-Current development work of Obin, Rob(s), Steve N, etc. Discussion of Micron and Altasens based cameras, software development, storage, processing, and editing.

-FPGA development: FGPA boards and public domain software algorithms to run on them. This looks like the next obvious step in the camera's evolution.

-The Long View: Things that require significant optical engineering ability or are a ways away: 3 chip versions, 6 MP cameras, parallel processing arrays, etc.

This way, there is a place for everything, and any post that lands in the wrong thread can be readily relocated. I originally thought I could keep the Wiki up to date but the info volume is quite large. Moderators, could this be done?

Thanks,

Eliot

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 09:17 PM

Fpga Design For Digital Cinema Camera

ok thread started for FPGA talk!

a quicktime idea:

http://cameralink.greatnow.com/fpga.mov

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 09:34 PM

I just made a new thread and uploaded a quicktime file for you guys to take a look at :=}

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28773

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 09:36 PM

Steve just what framerate can you get at 3.2mega pixels with a 32bit grabber and also with a 64bit grabber? could you get 24fps from it?? at full resolution?

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 11th, 2004 09:54 PM

Really nice.Exactly what I'm talking about in concept...

Obin Olson July 11th, 2004 10:02 PM

that is the $50,000 quote I got - for that concept

then I started thinking why use FPGA instead of MicroATX or ITX PC stuff? and it seems that micro PC stuff would only need a good programmer and not all the hardware design that the $50,000 would go for...hmmm so I am now going down the road of LINUX micro PC with a software IU. My Canon 10D has a DOS UI why not somthing like that for a video camera? TIVO is a standard PC with Linux on it - we can do the same for a video camera

Even Xbox has windows on it

I just need to find a good code writer at a good price :=}

Eliot Mack July 11th, 2004 10:08 PM

New thread for Blue Sky future tech

Hello,

I just created a thread called 'Blue Sky Concepts for Digital Cinema Camera'. Its purpose is to house many of the useful potential future areas (3 CCD imaging blocks, 6 MP chips, parallel computation arrays) being researched by people on the forum that do not relate specifically to the current CMOS camera/software development underway. Obin has created a thread for FPGA work; combined with this and the original thread it should organize the posts well.

Thanks,

Eliot

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 11th, 2004 11:29 PM

EZW is supposed to be a part of JPEG2000 standard.

Some implementation:

http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~msng/EZW.html

Original Matlab:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/polyvalens/clemens/ezw/ezw.html

Wavelet image constructor Kit

http://www.geoffdavis.net/dartmouth/...t/wavelet.html

Jpeg2000 supports 16 bit and down, LOSSLESS and LOSSY, any combination possible in the same stream.Metadata is included.So you could store info about color balance etc, focus and anything else.

FPGA, microcomputer....

SUSAKU PROJECT

http://www.atmark-techno.com/en/product/suzaku.html

http://suzaku.sourceforge.net/index....kuHardwareInfo

OpenCores already have cores for:

8x8 fully pipelined parallel DCT. Provides a DCT result every clock cycle.
QNR. Quantization & Rounding Unit.
Run-Length-Encoder.
Huffman Encoder / Decoder.

http://www.opencores.org/

Site about Mini-ITX and Nano-ITX motherboards and systems

http://www.mini-itx.com

A Xilinx Spartan3 FPGA 1 million gates costs $15

And here is a developmente board

http://www.nuhorizons.com/products/x...ent-board.html

Another place for cheap development boards.

http://www.fpga4fun.com/board.html

FREE IPs

SDRAM Controller:

http://www.cmosexod.com/sdram.html

Open Core compression system

http://www.opencores.org/projects.cg...stems/overview

Diagrams of the Elphel camera:

http://www.elphel.com/3fhlo/index.html

here is a link to a Jpeg compressor on a FPGA.It has huffman and the rest.Don't know if it could be modified to use some parts of it or.....

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ee545/f98/swingers/index.html

Here more really interesting links..

HUFFMAN ENCODER

http://vlsi1.engr.utk.edu/~mswiatko/ee552/proj/pres.htm

WAVELET TRANSFORM BASED ADAPTIVE IMAGE COMPRESSION ON FPGA.
(VHDL source code)
http://www.ittc.ukans.edu/projects/A...rin_thesis.pdf
(PDF)

REALTIME IMAGE ROTATION AND RESIZING, IMPLEMENTATIONS.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/ logi...ion_resize.pdf (PDF)

ESTIMATING FPGA REQUIREMENTS FOR DSP APPLICATIONS.

http://www.hunteng.co.uk/info/fpga-size.htm

REALTIME IMAGE PROCESSING WITH FPGA (source code and diagrams)
http://www.ece.ncsu.edu/imaging/Arch...eoCard/Report/

Implementation of DWT (VHDL source code)

http://kondor.etf.bg.ac.yu/~dejaniv/...t/DWT_VHDL.htm

Jpeg2000 acceleration using GPU

http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~ttwong/d...pu/dwtgpu.html
(open source, you need at least a GeForce FX)

HERE IS A LONG LIST OF FPGA BOARD WITH OR WITHOUT PCI INTERFACE

http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml

Les Dit July 12th, 2004 12:52 AM

Coolest FPGA dev system ever!

The absolute coolest FPGA dev system I have seen is Altium's Nexar.
They allow you to use pre synthisized blocks that they have pre defined functions. Some of these blocks are complete CPU's with memory. You can use interactive debuggers in C with JTAG support on these FPGa processors ! Right now they only support 8 bit CPU's but are adding 16 and 32 bit processors.
I swear they have designers that were found in a crashed UFO!!!
Their stuff is really that cool. Device independent too.
You don't have to know HDL. It all integrates with Protel, a high end PCB program. Transparently.
For example, it can reassign pins on the FPGA design to make the PCB routing better.
It can simulate the entire design with the C code running in it at the same time.

I believe the dev system is $8K.

See the webcast of the system intro at
http://www.altium.com/nexar/

Rob Lohman July 12th, 2004 01:44 AM

hyperlink your links!

Obin, Juan, Wayne (when you join), Les and ALL others who
want to post links.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make the links hyperlinked. I've edited
all the posts above to make links work and with the high volume
of posts these threads create I have lots of work to just do that.

It is *really* simple to do, just do:

[ url ] link [ /url ]

Without any of the spaces. This will create a working link.

For more information read this link, please.

Thank you very much!

Rob Lohman July 12th, 2004 01:49 AM

Regardig long running threads, pruning, splitting, new threads etc.

Please do NOT split off any more threads then the two just
created. We already have 3 threads running on this subject
and now 5. I agree that things need compacting etc., but the
best way is probably either through an article or Wiki. Then
the long running threads can be closed and new ones can
be created instead of added.

I am going on vacation for two weeks this friday and this is a
very busy week for me and the other wranglers and admins on
this board. So any chances will probably not happen till august.
I will bring these points up to the higher powers.

Thank you for the ideas, suggestions and support!

Wayne Morellini July 12th, 2004 02:04 AM

Too late, sorry, I just did while I was replying, see below. If you don't like them delete all the new threads, but I think the ones I have started divide it up nice and tightly. Once people get cameras left right and center, all development discussion is going to be swamped by camera setup issues, so we will need them anyway. By the way welcome back, I haven't heard back from you yet on the email, Rob is thinking about it.

Thanks

Wayne.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason Rodriguez : BTW,

FYI, if you're using a 2/3" chip, you're going to get around the same DOF as a 16mm frame.

Now unlike video lenses which have to deal with prism optics, 16mm film lenses open up way more, like down to f1.3, and at that f-stop, you're getting around the same DOF as a f2.8-f4 split in 35mm, which is not a lot of DOF at all-that can give you very shallow DOF like you're wanting without the need for a 35mm ground-glass optical-type effect.

For instance, there's a reason that people pay $115K for a set of Zeiss digiprimes. They can basically open up to F1.6 (the maximum f-stop for B4-mount (2/3 inch Sony mount) lenses), and be sharp as a tack whereas many other lenses fall apart at that F-stop on video cameras (again, there's a prism block limiting the maximum aperture of a video camera). With a single-sensor design there is no such problem, hence you can use optics that are very fast, and as a result get that nice out-of-focus DOF you've been wanting, without the need for a ground-glass 35mm converter.

You know, I learn a lot of things here. this would explain the low f-stop for 3chip consumer models.

Quote:

Originally posted by Steve Nordhauser : The 3.2Mpix Micron is *not* a replacement for the Altasens. It is just a different product that might fit a certain set of needs. Here is where the Micron data lives:
http://www.micron.com/products/imaging/products/datasheets.html

Wayne on Gigabit:
Most of our cameras will end up on gigabit over time. This is the raw sensor data being transmitted. When using an Intel Pro1000 interface card (<$50) and our custom drivers, expect 800+Mbps (that is bits) with any pixel over 8 bits taking 16 bits. We just tested 1920x1080x24fps@10 bits (796Mbps) and got continuous transfer and display with the SI-3300.

As you are breaking from traditional cameralink capture boards, why don't you goto the next logical step and pack the pixels, then 30fps would become available? From the way your comments read it seems that you are implying that only a add in card can do 800Mps, which means not an integrated port :(

Quote:

Originally posted by Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn : Guys, what we are planning with FPGA is the same and more tha what we can do with DSP :)
I don't quite understand why everybody thinks that FPGA are expensive, that their development and programming is expensive and that they are power hungry......it seems so many lies have been told to poor consumers :).

I VOTE for a new Thread, only technical!!
And with access only to registered users (no need to tell you why ;) )

@Wayne, sorry guy but sometimes you dream to much, like a brainstorming of one guy!!
Don't expect the Via machines to be a DSP laboratory.
What is at hand now is more than enough.I say this cause the easiest way now would be to use one of that C3 machines with a simple $100 FPGA developmente board (PCI interface), program some simple routines on the FPGA (to compress?) and then recording to disk.
This way we use normal C code, combined with Handel-C or SystemC to offload from CPU intensive tasks.We have the IDE interfaces of the motherboard, we use Linux, we program a graphical interface to control the Camera System, we use a LCD touchscreen of 7" diagonal (directly conected to Motherboard's VGA) and we also add some De-Bayer simple algo to show the image realtime on the touchscreen.
This will drain only around 15-20 Watts.

I doubt it, you see the difference between cheap DSP and cheap FPGA could be significant, but we only need limitted compression power for lossless (though I don't know about high compression ratios) somebody quoted figures before so some of this stuff I quote comes close to, or exceeds those figures. Sure FPGA might have lower power requirments today, but low powered compared to the hardwired alternative to a low end FPGA, I doubt it. We would be needing multiple parrallel low end FPGA's to get the performance, and that can get complex. I post FPGA stuff here to humour people, not because I think it is the most practical, lower powered, affordable solution. The things would be more time consuming than using the existing routines, from the C code, it would have to emulate. What people are failing to see is that cheap mass produced (low cost) DSP in motherboard is worth more than FPGA on PCI card. One, it is probably gauranteed to be lower powered, if not with more performance. I think the sample PCI FPGA is a good idea, if we can get a high powered model cheap enough. Another problem is that we have only one slot for Cameralink, and that will take up case room, I could fit two cards into the case, if a suitable riser is available, but this all requires space and power compared to GigE. Does your power quote include Hard Drive power cosumption. With out GigE you might aswell forget a handheld camcorder version of the cases. Brainstorming, you guys have to look at the picture from start to end and all the factors (and how to get the cheapest widely accepted product) if I can do that great, don't knock it. The FPGA/compression chip discussion is a bit premature, people are excited and bored, until somebody starts doing it, I might be enthusiatic about low pricing myself, but those examples are based on best practice mass market implementations. Which means, unless somebody like, VIA in MB, or Sumix who announced comrpession first, or SI, puts it in hardware for us will probably land up costing more than cameralink capture. I have been around this hardware development stuff before, and it aren't cheap compared to programming, not even clearspeed apparently (maybe next year) which I was aiming to approach a manufacturer to implement for us. Most of my ideas are better performers that somebody else might implement, instead of us, cheap. Here's a challenge, go and find the cost of a FPGA card/chip (chip needs another 100-200% to be incorporated) that matches the Gflop performance figures posted a few weeks ago. If you can find it cheap enough good, I'll be happy, if it only adds $10-$30 to the finale price, like somethings I am pursuing, even better. You could also go back in the three threads and see who first suggested compression in the camera head, and a number of ideas Sumix is using.

The idea for a new thread, I have allready given the homemade camera thread over to discussion. In this thread, multiple things are happening and sometimes the discussion will go one way and sometimes another, and after Obin sorts out his camera, and people sort out their compression parts, there will be little traffic. I allready post much of the camera spec and parts stuff to the Viper thread rather than here. Maybe we need threads for "Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - General Discussion" (or use my thread), "Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Problems and Performance" (for discussion on people's individual camera problems and performance), and "Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Technical Discussion" thread (for technical discussion and suggestions not covered in the other two). I vote against closed threads, that is why we have multiple recipients in emails. Splitting technical up into threads on FPGA, programming etc at the moment will lead to minute volumes, and having this is one thread leads to lively idea exchanges, as each can make contributions to other parts of the project. You don't see Rob's doing much programming discussion, they do it by email/phone.

I just created them, and put a link to the wiki:

Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - General Discussion
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28779

Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Problems and Performance
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28780

Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Technical Discussion
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=28781

Have fun!

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 12th, 2004 02:44 AM

@ Wayne:
If I don't need glasses here it says:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/Products/eden_n.jsp

7 watts for 1GHZ. And if I can read well enough on the Maxtor Diamond 200 GB I have now on my left hand it says 1.63 watts.
So I can't see why it would consume far more than 20 watts....

I'm not fighting for the first prize.This is not a competition.
I'm just giving technical data about what is available with little money.I'm not saying that what you say is wrong, so I can't understand why anything I post is commented by you as "I doubt it", etc,etc.

You insist with the Clearspeed solution, OK, but don't say FPGA solution would be limited because of its cost, when a single Clearspeed chip costs 1,000 and a Jpeg2000 off-the-shelf chip costs 40.

Some more info.Generally Lossless compression requires more computation power than Lossy.So if we want or need Lossless we need more power.If you doubt about it,see an example:
When you compress or your machine, e.g. with a DV codec and with Huffyuv or Sheervideo, which one runs faster?

About the pricing of FPGA development boards and chips, it has been posted a lot of times.Boards go from 100 bucks to 3,500 (may be more I guess) and chips from 12 to 500 bucks.
If you need the URLs, I will post them at your request.

About the mini or nano-itx, I realized that it would be the cheapest and easiest solution at this moment.But seeing that an Eden processor is not a Pentium4, I guess that we would need a little more horsepower to be able to record anything on Disks, RTL.
These motherboards come with GEthernet, so no need for a framegrabber.The problem is that, if we don't use high compression, We won't be able to record on anything but a RAID 0, with its added problems.
I know also, I could use a mini-itx witha P4, but then I won't be able to run it on batteries, at least not for reasonable period of time because a P4 consumes around 100 watts.Not to mention it needs a Cooler, with a fan, which also needs electricity and produces noise.
Just my two cents.

Wayne Morellini July 12th, 2004 03:37 AM

I don't really intend to, until somebody is near ready to start work on the FPGA design, which if it is Rob, will be after he finishes programming, which might be before Sumix brings their compressed camera out. And apart from not being very familiar with FPGA, you don't really need me anyway. Just cross post all my fpga links here, and those two UK magazines, I mentioned doing the FPGA tutorial series.

Just one piont, is that the thread name excludes alternative solutions. If you want to discuss alternatives, or post fpga stuff, feel free to post it to:

Home Made HD Cinema Cameras - Technical Discussion
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...782#post198782

By the way, I have been url hyperlinking for a long while, I notice people seem to get other people confused with me. But how do you hide the address and give it a display string like in Html anyway.

Have fun, I wish you the best.

Thanks

Wayne.

Wayne Morellini July 12th, 2004 04:57 AM

I suggest you re-read your post and at least remove the "at" @ symbol. Now I post good realistic stuff to get you guys thinking, that doesn't allways work. The only "dreaming" I'm doing is dreaming of low cost realities.

The amount of watts for that hard drive is suprising, I'll give you that. The cpu, main board, and one drive would put you in that range. I am not certain about the extra power for the capture card, camera and fpga, but maybe it is still in range. Somebody recently suggested 200Watts power consumption, I thought that strange, but haven't got around tor researching it.

I am not "insisting" on the clearspeed. As has been posted before, Steve got a quote, and they are being to over zellouse in pricing at the moment, so I dropped it, maybe after they get a mass market deals it will drop in price. maybe next year. they also plan to do a PCI board.

I just thought of another problem with using PCI for FPGA and Cameralink, they both will require a lot of data transfer, and should satuate the bus on anything more than 720 Bayer. You still also have the problem of finding a part that is fast enough, more expensive, or using multiple chips, that pushes up costs compared to a comrpession chip, as you also have to factor in the extra costs in the board design, component handeling. All design/manufacturing issues. I have pushed FPGA before, but the solution has economical restrictions. Again, have you located a cheap FPGA with enough power, preferebly on a PCI 64-bit/66Mhz/PCI E card? When you say $40 of the shelf, is that single sample or the 100-10K quantities we should be talking about.

Lossless compression requiring more power, I've seen some excellent figures compared to mpeg4 etc (probably because of the extra processing to find image compromises), which lossless and which lossy compression routines are you comparing?

I suggest you read the three threads, and see who actually first suggested the itx and eden, camera head compression and most of the other things you just posted.

Quote:

Originally posted by Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn :
I'm not fighting for the first prize.This is not a competition.
I'm just giving technical data about what is available with little money.I'm not saying that what you say is wrong, so I can't understand why anything I post is commented by you as "I doubt it", etc,etc.

Good, that sounds like what I have been doing all along. I'll restate my aim. Research and promote a new low cost alternative standard in video and cinema for the free benefit of the comminty. Working towards maximising it's user freindlyness, and low cost mass market components, to maximise it's sales and success in the community (by upto 100 fold), which would also help lower the cost. Seeking out the best, longterm, lowcost solutions. If it was priced low enough, reprogrammable clearspeed, or Processor In Memory, would be best in the camera head, on the motherboard that would be integrated co-proccessors (DSP's and graphic cards, and Processor In Module PC memory Sticks). And as part of this to fit it into acceptably sized casing, that users will accept. I think about these other peoples' requirements not just my own, if other people don't, then why are they bothering.

Now if you want to discuss this fpga further there is the fpga thread.

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 12th, 2004 05:58 AM

Didn't you read my post about ADV202????
its costs around $40 in low quantities.
What else? Is this a problem of "Ego" or what? (based on you saying you were the first to post about mini-itx and the rest)

I'm really tired of having to post everything three times for you to read it.
Nothing personal Wayne, but please, don't talk to me anymore.Those long posts you make answering my posts make nothing but noise.They aren't constructive and now I see I'm surfing the same wave :(.
Sorry if I upset you or anybody else here...

Laurence Maher July 12th, 2004 06:04 AM

Sorry to do this, but could someone explain again the attributes of this "JPEG 2000?" So it's an imaging chip, right? what are the specs?

Also, can someone tell me what FPGA stands for?

Ya, I know . . . layman.

Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn July 12th, 2004 06:19 AM

FPGA stands for Field Programable Gate Array.It's kind of a programable microchip.For example you could program an FPGA to work as an Intel 80386, or a Z80, or as a Jpeg compressor, or as Sound equalizer.

The ADV202 is a DSP (or the like) which compresses video in JPEG2000.
I've posted the specs somewhere in this thread, but I don't remember where.
Try Google.

Rob Scott July 12th, 2004 06:45 AM

Quote:

But how do you hide the address and give it a display string like in Html anyway.
[ url=http://whatever.com ] Whatever [ /url ]

[ edit ]

OK, here's a question that perhaps only Steve Nordhauser can answer. If I buy a development board for a FPGA chip, how do I interface with the camera sensor? Would someone have to "breadboard" something?

Rob Lohman July 12th, 2004 07:11 AM

Wayne & Juan: please try to stay civil on all of this. I understand
things can get a bit heated in here, but as I've said a couple of
times already I think we need to slowdown a bit. I understand
all the enthusiasm that everybody has and wants to pour into
the thread(s), but that might not always be the best way.

It is of no use to simply dump information into this thread etc.
I have been discussing the matter with Chris and we might
create some subforums to handle threads of devices that are
actually being build etc.

However (Wayne!): I'm not back from vacation I'm GOING to
GO on vacation this friday for 2 weeks. I will be back around
August 1st. Any changes will probably NOT HAPPEN before then.
We simply do not have the time.

Wayne: I have to agree with Juan a bit that your very long
posts and the frequency in which they happen is a bit daunting.
Perhaps you can try to just summerize what you are trying to
say and be a bit more brief? That would certainly help people
read through your posts. Thank you for the consideration.

In that regards I also did not yet have found the time to carefully
read your e-mail and respond to it. I want to give a thorough
reply and not a quick one. That's why it hasn't been done yet,
my apologies to you.

On the matter of FPGA there seems to be a lot of mis-information
and confused peopl (me included). Perhaps someone can write
up a good clearly explained little article with links collected from
this thread? We can put that up as a Wiki for example.

I have questions like how would you connect a harddisk (array)
to an FPGA board and a viewfinder out and things like that.....