DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   External remote with 35mm projects ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/38974-external-remote-35mm-projects.html)

Daves Spi February 6th, 2005 03:46 PM

External remote with 35mm projects ?

Hi there,

I've just finished my new version of 35mm project.

http://film.datriware.com/0112.jpg

It uses rotating 9cm ground glass (not cd) powered by hard drive engine. I can focus by object-lens focusing ring either by the black wheel down there. Instead of some stupid Macro I used one lens from 135mm object-lens. Has no stupid color aberation. Everything is almost cool but the remote of camera... As you note, you see no camera there :) - Camera is hidden inside. Whole complet is sitting on steadycam, using cheap 16:9 LCD TV-SET from market-hall turned 180 degrees.

I need to remote camera !!! I'm owner of Panasonic GS400, I found some system connector on bottom of camera under plastic cover. I have also crack the standard wire remote and made an electric scheme... But I need to control shutter and iris to and do not know how...

Anyone who knows pinout of system connector of GS400 or have any idea ???

Nicholas Storr February 6th, 2005 05:13 PM

I'm not sure about remote controlling, but on a (slightly) divergent topic - if you're not actually using the camera itself for viewing or for control, I'd recommend reconfiguring the rig to mount the camera upside-down. You'll get correctly oriented images direct to tape, removing the need for post-flipping, and you can turn your LCD back up the right way :)

That's very similar to the design I'm working on, but you're a bit further along than I am! I'm envisaging simply leaving the side of my camcorder exposed for shutter/iris adjustment. The controls will be flipped, but that's not a major hinderance.

Oscar Spierenburg February 7th, 2005 05:48 AM

Have you considered extending the buttons mechanically?

Daves Spi February 7th, 2005 06:20 AM

Yes, it was my first idea... But I guess this solution will bring more troubles to me... In case, you need change tape, you have to take off the cover. I do not know how to realize construction that allow me this. I though about some removable buttons on cover, which can be screwed out, if cover take out needed.

Daves Spi February 8th, 2005 12:02 PM

No one knows how to remote Panasonic camera via USB or system conector ? No pinout ??? No ideas ?

Aaron Shaw February 8th, 2005 12:37 PM

Why do you need to remotely control the cameras functions? Don't you really need to control the 35mm lens?

Daves Spi February 8th, 2005 03:34 PM

Time by time, you need to turn off your camera, you need to set iris and shutter speed, you need balance white every single shot. When you have camera on stadycam, and yet covered, its pretty annoying...

Controling 35mm lens does not mean so big troubles for me...

Filip Kovcin February 9th, 2005 11:53 AM

what if you remove that metal box? will this work then?

Daves Spi February 9th, 2005 12:55 PM

You got it :) It will work :-D

Just thinking of remote control from steady cam - you have not hands on camera, you are holding the steady cams...

:(

Filip Kovcin February 9th, 2005 01:28 PM

do toho!

Filip Kovcin February 9th, 2005 01:35 PM

but, seriously - i do not know about this camera, BUT! if you have infrared remote control for this camera (like one for DVX100) you can convert this remote to work as "cable"remote in the cases when you are not in the position to remote the camera via infrared. i do not know what (if) settings you can adjust via this unit, but at least it's something...

i did use this solution for i.e. starting TWO cameras simultaneosly with almost identical TC. and to control zoom in the very same way on both cameras.

it's very easy to make that unit. one cable, litlle soldering or gluing and mentioned remote.

but, again - i do not know does this camera has something like RC.

filip