DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Review of Quyen Le's Letus35 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/49790-review-quyen-les-letus35.html)

Michael Maier September 25th, 2005 08:42 PM

Hey guys, I'm calm :)
What makes you think I'm not? Just because I think that DIY was sharper? Well, it was ;)
Obin, I don't know the link, but I remember a clip of a dark haired girl that was so sharp, it seemed she was about to jump out of the screen.
The link was posted here on DVinfo somewhere. That was where I saw it.

Bill Porter September 25th, 2005 08:51 PM

Haterade:

Noun; a fictional beverage, parodying the popular sports drink 'Gatorade', purportedly consumed by individuals who are jealous of others, supposidly fueling their ability to be jealous of, or to 'hate on', others.

Lloyd Choi September 25th, 2005 09:06 PM

Michael, you're referring to the Andromeda footage with the DIY Micro35..
Ya it looks amazing, but if you have thousands of dollars to install the Andromeda system in your DVX, then it'll look that good with a DIY micro35 :)

The letus35 will never look that good without the Andromeda...

Michael Maier September 25th, 2005 09:16 PM

Hmm, I see. Quite childish and high schoolish if you ask me. But, I would be jealous of what exactly? Since I could buy any of those adapters, and as I matter of fact, I most will, as soon as they mature a little more, and one of them reach it's plateau. As of now, it seems there's still lots of space for improvement. Proof being the amazingly sharp aforementioned DIY.
The Letus35 looks the most promissing, since it doesn't use the spinning GG. I'm looking forward to it's development. The SG35 is also showing signs of good development.

Michael Maier September 25th, 2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Choi
Michael, you're referring to the Andromeda footage with the DIY Micro35..
Ya it looks amazing, but if you have thousands of dollars to install the Andromeda system in your DVX, then it'll look that good with a DIY micro35 :)

The letus35 will never look that good without the Andromeda...

No, I'm not talking about that clip. As a matter of fact, the last clip Obin posted with the radio DJ, shot on theDVX100a (no andromeda) and Letus35, looks better than the Micro35+andromeda footage.
I was talking about the guy who chopped his FX-1 lens off and put a manual lens, then built his own 35mm adapter and post some clips, which were the best clips I ever saw from any adapter.

Quyen Le September 25th, 2005 11:31 PM

Michael

http://wave35.altervista.org/
Is this the one that you refer to?

Quyen

Aaron McMath September 26th, 2005 01:04 AM

Yup.

That's the one, what do you think?

Greg Bates September 26th, 2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Hmm, I see. Quite childish and high schoolish if you ask me. But, I would be jealous of what exactly? Since I could buy any of those adapters, and as I matter of fact, I most will, as soon as they mature a little more, and one of them reach it's plateau. As of now, it seems there's still lots of space for improvement. Proof being the amazingly sharp aforementioned DIY.
The Letus35 looks the most promissing, since it doesn't use the spinning GG. I'm looking forward to it's development. The SG35 is also showing signs of good development.

Well chop your lens off and get to shooting, cause as of now all you do is make suggestions on already functioning (and functioning well if you look at Obin's footage) devices. The wave35 is most likely beyond yours or my diy abilities, and i don't see where he is selling it or planning too. But I keep reading your posts in this thread and realize you don't even have one of these devices to compare the footage too. Unless he is selling the wave35, I don't care what he did..why?...its beyond my DIY ability although I admire his ingenuity, so in the interim we use the tools availble to us. I'm sorry if i'm reading more into your writing tone than I should be, but it sounds like your shi**ing on these guys good works.

Leo Mandy September 26th, 2005 09:06 AM

I have to give much praise to both Oscar and Quyen for this : they gave out their secrets early on (Oscar with his wax secrets - among countless others! - and Quyen with his pdf tutorial on how to build the Letus35). I think we forget that it is (hopefully) about 'give and take' on this forum. Without the countless help of others here first (Agus, Bob Hart, Dan for example) we would never be near where we are today. Thanks to those guys for at least that...

Obin Olson September 26th, 2005 09:07 AM

I have seen that stuff, I don't know why you guys are going on and on about it, it's not that sharp and it's using mpeg-2 compression! I guess the camera is using some "sharpen" on the image, maybe this is why your thinking it looks "Really sharp"?

I am not impressed

Glen Hurd September 26th, 2005 09:44 AM

I'm relatively new to this board, and am still in the middle of trying to get a wax adaptor that doesn't need an earthquake to hide the grain -- so I do a lot of reading here.
I think Quyen's design is brilliant. Using a motor to basically shake itself and the glass automatically reduces the chances of vibration making its way down the adaptor's shell. No need for bearings and counterbalance. Perhaps, with a few adjustments, he can get more throw without having to increase voltage -- I don't know. But I have to say, I absolutely love the concept.
Where I get lost is the puported evaluation of different adapters based on 1)compressed video and 2)footage coming from cameras that range from 1-chip DVs to 3-chip HDVs (and hacked Nikon lens attachments, to boot.) How are people able to differentiate color aberrations created by optics vs. compression vs. camera chip design? Is it just a matter of who comes to the table with the best looking footage? Doesn't seem to be a fair comparison of adaptors, to me.
I suppose if all the adapters wishing to be reviewed could be shot using a common camera, at a common test chart, there would at least be some consistency there (assuming footage is loaded up raw). Maybe the Wave35 inventor could put the Letus35 (with the Obin Mod) on his hacked HDV camera, and see if he can get rid of the vignetting?
I used to think I knew something. Now, I just read in awe.
G

Lloyd Choi September 26th, 2005 12:08 PM

I just saw the DVX100 test footage, and I must say, I am really impressed.

for the price, this is definately worth it. We can only wait and see (like every adapter) until more test footage comes out.

Also, a question:

I read that it's a half a pound and doesn't require a rod/support system. Eventually though, would the weight of the adapter slowly harm the camera? Would the DVX be able to support sufficiently without harm?

Thanks

Obin Olson September 26th, 2005 12:10 PM

I feel it needs a rod system to support it

Dan Diaconu September 26th, 2005 12:48 PM

Lloyd,

Since we may be minutes away from each other:

Why don't you give me a call 604-780-1818, bring your DVX, mount my image converter on my rods support system and leave with some test footage. Compress it on your own, grab some frames from the footage and post your unbiased results here. I have a few Nikkors lying around to choose from.

I can offer you a few different GG choices (aside from Beattie focusing screen) to see the difference first hand and have footage from all choices: rotating and shaking of the above choices. I also have a few rez charts, but if you have some, bring them over. Anytime bro.

Greg Bates September 26th, 2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Lloyd,

Since we may be minutes away from each other:

Why don't you give me a call 604-780-1818, bring your DVX, mount my image converter on my rods support system and leave with some test footage. Compress it on your own, grab some frames from the footage and post your unbiased results here. I have a few Nikkors lying around to choose from.

I can offer you a few different GG choices (aside from Beattie focusing screen) to see the difference first hand and have footage from all choices: rotating and shaking of the above choices. I also have a few rez charts, but if you have some, bring them over. Anytime bro.

Hey Dan...why don't you umm....send that bad boy on down to me....i'll uuh use it for (2 or 3 features...cough) and give a review;)