DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Letus35A Test on XL2 with 50mm 1.8 FD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/55162-letus35a-test-xl2-50mm-1-8-fd.html)

Declan Smith November 28th, 2005 08:16 PM

Letus35A Test on XL2 with 50mm 1.8 FD

I have finally managed to grab 10 minutes to do a test with the Letus35, XL2, and the canon FD 1.8 50mm. The subject matter is pretty dull and rushed (had to do this in my lunch hour) but it shows the effect of the adapter.

You may see some jerkiness. This is due to the adapter slipping when pulling focus. I need to secure the adapter barrel onto the 72mm thread somehow to prevent this.

http://www.xlr.demon.co.uk/media/letus1.wmv

Quinn OConnell November 29th, 2005 03:46 AM

Nice shots Declan, colours are really rich - any CC or just natural..

looks good.. i have the 50mm 1.8 but trying to get hold of the 1.4, but looking at the footage outdoors thats looking good...

Yasser Kassana November 29th, 2005 03:55 AM

That is nice - i don't think that's cc - that's just the great image quality of the XL2.

Declan Smith November 29th, 2005 04:39 AM

Thanks for the comments.

The only image processing is as follows:

1. All images flipped vertically in Vegas.
2. The Image of the birdhouse roof with snow/ice on top has been stabalised in combustion as it was a very shaky handheld shot.

Absolutely no colour correction was done in post.

XL2 settings as follows;
25P 16:9 with ShutterSpeed of 50
Custom preset: Amelia (from the bluebarn area of DVINFO).
Letus35A adapter with Canon FD 1.8 50mm lens.
WhiteBalance: Daylight setting

Declan Smith November 29th, 2005 08:13 AM

More footage

Had a chance to do a little bit more footage.

http://www.xlr.demon.co.uk/media/letus2.wmv

Bill Porter November 29th, 2005 12:46 PM

Great footage, but what in god's name is all that white stuff?!

Declan Smith November 29th, 2005 12:50 PM

The white stuff is there to challenge my exposure settings !

Salvador Peralta January 2nd, 2006 03:00 PM

question on white balance

Hi guys, this is my first post here.. and i have a question/.. sorry if i sound like a fool... but when you use a letus, do you white balance with it attached to the camera.. or do you do it before attaching it???

Thanks!!!

Sal

P.d. I have a GS400 panny.

Ben Winter January 2nd, 2006 04:05 PM

I would think that you would white balance right before you shoot--doesn't make sense to white balance and then change your setup, even if the Letus probably doesn't have an effect on the tint of an image.

This footage is really great. Play this footage, then play Steev's MPIC footage and ask yourself if there's a multi-thousand dollar difference. Great job!

James Hurd January 2nd, 2006 04:18 PM

http://www.probe3.com/3ccd/Letus35a/index.php?id=12

I don't even have to look at the footage to tell you there's a difference in the Letus and MPic.

One hot day or a bumpy ride, you're going to have a pretty frustrated crew.

You get what you pay for. ;)

Greg Bates January 2nd, 2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hurd
http://www.probe3.com/3ccd/Letus35a/index.php?id=12

I don't even have to look at the footage to tell you there's a difference in the Letus and MPic. This pic says plenty.

One hot day or a bumpy ride, you're going to have a pretty frustrated crew.

You get what you pay for. ;)

I'm deleting my original harsh reply...Let me preference this with saying I have no interest in the Letus line so I don't seem like a cheerleader, but i'm tired of seeing the board sloowly dissolve into a stone throwing party at the expense of customers like myself who have patronized several independent vendors who grace this site. The main thing "we" as users care about is the end result in bringing your product to market. I found this last comment to be classless and off topic for this thread, surely I was not mistaken in my regard of Redrock as a classy vendor of a useful product line.

James Hurd January 2nd, 2006 06:49 PM

Greg,
I appreciate your response. It's very inspiring seeing your passion for this topic.

My response was in response to Ben's comparrison request between the Letus and MPIC, my point was there are many things to compare when comparing adapters. Although the final image is very important, craftsmanship, durability, and flexibility are also very important. I think Dan deserves the respect he has coming. He's spending a week and a half machining and building a single adapter he can stand behind and with precision quality his customers expect from him.

That's All Folks!

Greg Bates January 2nd, 2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hurd
Greg,
I appreciate your response. It's very inspiring seeing your passion for this topic.

My response was in response to Ben's comparrison request between the Letus and MPIC, my point was there are many things to compare when comparing adapters. Although the final image is very important, craftsmanship, durability, and flexibility are also very important. I think Dan deserves the respect he has coming. He's spending a week and a half machining and building a single adapter he can stand behind and with precision quality his customers expect from him.

Dude you will never eva...eva eva eva eva hear me disrespect Dan. Dan knows if I had the cream, i'd fork over 8g's no problem. I bought his follow focus sight unseen and untested, your rod support and DIY manual same deal. I've never made comparitive statements on the board, because I do not believe they come out correctly in writing, especially when in my case I don't own all of the products to compare with and have access to camera's for the different combos. In my mind nothing comes close to the MPIC for the simple fact of its beautifully engineered. I love the simple effectiveness of the LETUS, the polished look of the M3, and the sleekness of the G35. Bottom line my friend? Fiddler on the roof....if I was a rich man. I just don't want to see this board where i've learned more in a year, disentegrate into a dog park where everyone is pissing on bushes. Those of us with mechanical skills similiar to those of a 2 year old putting the square peg in the circle admire and appreciate you have allowed us to do creatively to let you throw storms.

Ben Winter January 2nd, 2006 07:51 PM

I s'pose it's my turn to dull down my previous response in a follow-up:

I didn't mean to rat on Dan's adapter, or to suggest the MPIC is overpriced--Dan is amazing at what he does and I'm sure the MPIC is a shining example of study craftsmanship and ingenuity. I simply was trying to say that the Letus also provides excellent results for the price. A big hardy thumbs-up to both of 'em for all their hard work and dedication, blah-dee-blah, all that good cheerleading :) No offense meant.

Ben