DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   A slightly different 35mm adapter concept (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/58214-slightly-different-35mm-adapter-concept.html)

Dennis Wood January 25th, 2006 01:18 PM

Ha, I requested samples today. I was looking at some a few weeks ago, but the POC news in the forum was not postive so I didn't bother. It's worth a shot. Now my guess is that a few of commercial guys are sitting back right now and saying "Tried that, waste of time....."

Alain Bellon January 25th, 2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Wood
Ha, I requested samples today. I was looking at some a few weeks ago, but the POC news in the forum was not postive so I didn't bother. It's worth a shot. Now my guess is that a few of commercial guys are sitting back right now and saying "Tried that, waste of time....."

Hehe, they will wonder if we are serious with all those requests.

I wouldn't be too certain with regard to the commercial guys, many of them are just like us trying out stuff. And I think there is ample opportunity to miss on details like thickness, material (polycarbonate vs. polyester) and diffusion angles. Get one wrong and you may think they all suck. :)

From my own tests, adapter aside, I believe that the screen material I am using at the moment surpasses everything I have seen (except for the Beattie) in terms of light loss. And my previous material was even up there as the smallest grain (but I got a rotational variance in the diffusion that gives bad bokeh). There is a material that already gives both great qualities but its not wide enough. (check out the Alternative screens thread)

Hey, I am an optimist! :)

Leo Mandy January 25th, 2006 04:08 PM

Alain, are you still testing the Office Depot tape?

Leo Mandy January 27th, 2006 06:46 PM

Latest shot at night out my window, porch light. I changed my condenser and got rid of the barreling I was experiencing with my rig. The light loss is about 1 stop maybe? Hard to tell, but definitely better than anything I have used before - home depot bags or anything like that is a great way to go.

http://dvstuff.250free.com/bag.htm

Justin Tran January 27th, 2006 10:32 PM

leo mandy can u tell me how u apply the bag...do u glue it or something?

also, we don't have home depot here, but would these bags u refer to be the variety that come on a roll where you 'rip' them off for veges?

BTW how do u gauge light loss?

Rich Hibner January 27th, 2006 11:35 PM

I've found a few bags. One is a trash bag. Not the kind you buy from a grocery store, but the ones a grocery store uses. It's very large and clear. Also, a doughnut shop has these types of bags. They use them to pick up the doughnuts most of the time. The veggie bags are about the same I think but I thought they seemed different to me for some reason. I'm trying this adapter as well and would like to know something. Do you apply these "bags" to a uv filter and make that a "gg" or just use the "bag" alone and add some condesors/macros? This would be helpful.

Rh

Leo Mandy January 28th, 2006 09:01 AM

Yes, I just glued it to the surface of the CD.

Bob Hart January 28th, 2006 08:48 PM

In my initial experiments, I tried these shop bags as I had actually used one in a Muray 8/16mm home editor whose stick-on rear projection material had begun to peel off. Mine seemed to add a slight cyan hue but it might have been my imagination. Between two clear CD-R disks I found a flciker similar to the wax so I did not go furthur with them. If there is a better consistency of opqueness and thickness, one should perhaps give them another look.

Rich Hibner January 29th, 2006 12:22 AM

So, would you guys consider this concept better for spinning/vibrating or for static?

Rh

Frank Ladner February 14th, 2006 04:07 PM

A bit off-topic...

Where have you been hiding, Alain? You wrote some of the best trueSpace plugins around. Didn't know for sure if this was the real Alain Bellon or not until I saw that you had some images linked to your old site.

How's tungsten|SOLID coming along?

To get it back on-topic, nice images!

Frank

Alain Bellon February 14th, 2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ladner
A bit off-topic...

Where have you been hiding, Alain? You wrote some of the best trueSpace plugins around. Didn't know for sure if this was the real Alain Bellon or not until I saw that you had some images linked to your old site.

How's tungsten|SOLID coming along?

To get it back on-topic, nice images!

Frank

Thank you for your comments. :)

tungsten|SOLID became a suite of 10 stand alone applications. The first one of them is about to be released.

Alain Bellon February 14th, 2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Hibner
So, would you guys consider this concept better for spinning/vibrating or for static?

Rh

I have been having good success in a vibrating setup. Leo has used it in a spinning setup. Some bag materials have really small grain so it could be used for static under certain conditions.

Daniel Apollon February 15th, 2006 01:36 AM

Additional advantages of vibrating light materials

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Bellon
I have been having good success in a vibrating setup. Leo has used it in a spinning setup. Some bag materials have really small grain so it could be used for static under certain conditions.

I've just written some lines on the propagation of vibrations in 35mm adapters. Alain's low weight bag-approach might have additional advantages allowing lower propagation of vibration in the camera+adapter setup.
see:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=11

Frank Howard July 10th, 2006 11:31 PM

Some questions

Also, are there plans for this puppy to be found? The plans for a straight vibrating adaptor no longer exists at the links I found either. Gak!
Finally, the vegetable bag plastic, is it the real clear stuff or the frosted type?

Frank Howard July 22nd, 2006 07:13 PM

I found the Quyen Le plan that Craig Bellaire did for him.
It had moved to:
http://bellaire.homestead.com/files/..._Adaptor_2.pdf

And the question about the plastic bags was admittedly a brain fart from going from one thread to another on these adaptors. Doh!