DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Guskers 35 - 2nd Gen. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/61877-guskers-35-2nd-gen.html)

Dennis Wood March 1st, 2006 08:21 PM

Guskers 35 - 2nd Gen.

Here's a few clips/pics of my latest creation. Evidently it's not a spinner at 2.75" by 3.75". Footage is zoomed 10% but otherwise untouched from the GS400. It was shot in 16:9, 30F. (pro-cinema mode).

No ads, slower
More Ads, faster

Pic of the prototype

Power is not internalized yet, but I have the materials incoming to facilitate this.

Jim Lafferty March 1st, 2006 11:41 PM

Internalized power? How will you (re)charge it? This is exciting -- the DIY adapter business is getting in to full swing...

Toenis Liivamaegi March 2nd, 2006 06:02 AM

Wouldn`t internalized power be kind of a downside of the design?
I mean how could you change/charge batteries in an instant when you need to? And there must be a way to know if batteries are running low or else you`ll be filming with static adapter from time to time...

Dennis Wood March 2nd, 2006 07:14 AM

Well, doing the basic mAh calculations, the unit should have a 40 hour runtime on a full charge with it's two NiMh cells. That's a lot of filming ...

Size, weight and convenience seem to be common desires with these adapters. My thinking therefore is that simple, light, and self contained are desireable attributes. I've got a few neat ideas for charging other than a standard external charger. My spinner had the batteries internal too, and like everything else battery powered, part of the pre-shoot procedure is to make sure they're charged!

Dan got it right with the MPIC IMO.

An LED will serve as a visual charge indicator.

Francois Poitras March 2nd, 2006 07:40 AM

I totally agree with Dennis on internal batteries; I’m actually going in the same direction. My adapter looks a lot like Dennis’.

Different batteries can be used depending on the internal design. In my own design (ABS tubes), I can use use two rechargeable 2/3AA or 2/3A batteries inside. My idea is to install a small connector inside the housing, and work with two rechargeable battery packs equipped with a matching connector. The battery pack is at one end of the adapter, easily replaceable.

I’m actually at the stage of modifying the wiring inside the adapter to accomodate the battery packs.

Yasser Kassana March 3rd, 2006 05:12 AM

That's some seriously clean footage, not soft, sharp. I like it, and to see those images coming out of a gs400, great. Any ideas if you want to sell?

Andrew Todd March 3rd, 2006 06:47 AM

files expired.. any updated link?? looking forward to seeing this footage

Forrest Schultz March 3rd, 2006 09:44 AM

andrew click on the slow, no ads one. it wont say expired

Bennis Hahn March 3rd, 2006 11:43 AM

That looks great! Can we get some more info on how you made it?

Dang, that really does look awsome man!

Dennis Wood March 3rd, 2006 12:18 PM

Thanks for the tip Forrest. I'll post up some fresh links tonight. Yasser and Bennis, glad you liked the footage. I'll likely do some more shots this weekend once I get the new rail system attached. There's a thread over at dvxuser describing a bit more about the adapter. Basically I'm in the final stages of getting the CNC work done for a production version. My current angst is finding a domestic supplier of large diameter carbon fibre tubing for the chassis. I can't do any production work with the CNC folks until I have the actual tubing in my hands. I also have a flip module coming. Again, some CNC work required there.

The GS400 has it's limitations...but certainly the pro-cinema (frame mode, "true" 16:9, and gamma tweaks) gives a pretty good SD picture...that I don't have to deinterlace. The external manual controls and MF ring are super handy for adapter work.

Dennis Wood March 4th, 2006 11:42 PM

Internal power is now sorted out. Here's a pic.

I've also reposted the original sample footage as there were issues:

Link 1
Link 2

David Delaney March 5th, 2006 09:44 AM

I love the look of it. Remind me of Dan's MPIC, with a longer barrel which is eliminating the macro lens, yes no?

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 10:04 AM

Ha, I was waiting for that reference. From my point of view, the minimum length for the adapter is 43.5mm + 50mm, to allow both flange to GG spacing, and minimum focus distance for most cams...so 95 to 100mm. I could make it shorter, but then every user would need a macro.

The reality of packaging everything internal is that the parts must be out of the optical path, so their placement is pretty much dictated. Honestly I like the MPIC aesthetic better...but for my design...it's definitely function over form.

David Delaney March 5th, 2006 11:09 AM

I hope you didn't think I was putting your device down, because I think it is looks great. The comparison is a good thing. Dan has a great device. Also, you footage is looking really nice- what is the price point going to be? Are you beta testing?

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 12:22 PM

Not at all David. When it comes down to minimal size, all of these things are going to be small cylinders with a switch, LED, and charge port.

I'd say beta testing is nearly over. I'm completely happy with the design, movement etc. CAD design for the final product is done. Really it's just waiting for parts now.

The final unit with a carbon fibre chassis, machined parts, and CNC GG plate will be somewhere in the $450 to $600 US range.

Dennis Wood March 5th, 2006 10:17 PM

Fresh footage from the adapter:

Fast link
Slower Link

Andrew Todd March 5th, 2006 10:26 PM

nice stuff dennis

Moises Crespo March 6th, 2006 12:25 AM

Love it! Sign me up...

Wayne Kinney March 6th, 2006 02:40 AM

Nice footage Dennis.

Have you tested your unit with a bigger cam, like dvx100 or fx-1?

Dennis Wood March 6th, 2006 07:08 AM

No Wayne. However based on existing adapters and known issues, I already have a pretty good idea what will work and what won't. From what I can ascertain, the DVX's will likely require a macro. I do have access to an XL1s and an XL2, so these cams will be tested by me personally. If the XL2 info (2cm focus distance w/wide macro) they may just be OK.

Fortunately, there are a number of folks stepping up to the plate with a number of different cams, so I should have a handle on most cams in short order.

The reality of my design is that the GG will be at minimum 55mm from the camera mount...so the only issue is macro, or no macro.

Yasser Kassana March 6th, 2006 07:10 AM

Must say I do like the footage. Very crisp, very nice. But I agree with wayne, you won't know you have a good product until you test with fx1 or dvx100, they have problems of their own...

Dennis Wood March 6th, 2006 07:47 AM

Yasser, I may be oversimplifying here, but I see the isse as this:

Can the camera focus on a 24x36 frame at 55mm from the lens? If yes, it will work out of the box. If no, a macro will be required (or an extension tube). Either way, I'll feel much better once I know exactly the macro specs, if required, for each camera.

The reality of this gig is that unless I was making millions (ha) I could not possibly afford to own each of the cams out there. There's that all important balance of building a great, but affordable adapter. As it is, my investment in the adapter project is getting a bit scary.

Dennis Wood March 7th, 2006 10:10 PM

I finished up a simple, but strong rail setup for the new adapter. Here's a pic. Yasser, got your email...stay tuned for the site intro, there'll be a pre-order for testing.

Andy Gordon March 7th, 2006 11:17 PM

I have a question Dennis - how high can you take the camcorder shutter speed before you see grain? With my adapter anything over 1/50 starts to show grain especially around the edges of bright out of focus areas, the buzzing you mentioned on another thread. Basically I can't go over 1/50 which is quite a limitation for me.

Dennis Wood March 7th, 2006 11:56 PM

I haven't properly tested this on a monitor, but I've been cranking shutter to 1/2000s to be able to properly visualize GG movement. To set backfocus, I've been using F/8 inside, (higher outside)on the 35mm lens to make the grain evident. So far based on what I've seen, I'd say 1/250s is the upper limit.

Dennis Wood March 8th, 2006 12:31 PM

I've opened up pre-order for an initial run of 10 units at $540/unit. That price will include a smart charger for the internal battery pack. Expected delivery time is 4 weeks. As of 1 hour of making the announcement, half are confirmed with a deposit. If you're interested, please drop me an email. From the looks of things, the initial batch will be spoken for by day's end.

I'll have a site up in my webspace this week with more info and ongoing progress reports...thanks.

Dennis Wood March 8th, 2006 09:02 PM

I've added a few spots, but the beta program is full. Thanks guys.

Edit: correction, after all the dust has settled, there's 2 spots left...

Dennis Wood March 10th, 2006 07:58 PM

Here are a few pics taken with the Brevis35 attached in still mode. The GS400 is nothing spectacular in still mode, but these should give an idea of what to expect with HD cams. Advertised at 4MB, the real resolution of the cam's stills is more like 2MB. These are straight from the camera, although I've cropped the vignette out. The camera can zoom a fair bit more in record mode than it can in still mode. The lens is a 50mm f1.4 set at about f4 to deepen the DOF a bit.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Yasser Kassana March 11th, 2006 09:43 AM

Those are some clean pics! But remember speaking from experience I would test out with the dvx100 and fx1 asap. You will have problems, tons of them I garuntee it.

Andrew Todd March 11th, 2006 09:59 AM

ill test it if you need an xl1s from New brunswick. Im getting the letus35xl when it comes out and it owuld be cool to compare yours, the relay, and the regular letus35a.

Dennis Wood March 11th, 2006 11:07 AM

Yasser..that's what the beta program is for. It will be tested on a very good selection of cameras in very short order.

Dennis Wood March 11th, 2006 01:39 PM

Testing with the XL1s

Testing with the XL1s went excellent. The production version will work with this camera no problem, no macro, no achromat. The prototype has about a 5% vignette as I expected due to a slightly longer cam/gg distance over the production design.

Wayne Kinney March 11th, 2006 02:16 PM

Looks great, cant wait to see footage. Your adapter is very sharp (in both sense). So its vibrating?

Dennis Wood March 11th, 2006 03:12 PM

It's an oscillator...

Francois Poitras March 11th, 2006 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
Those are some clean pics! But remember speaking from experience I would test out with the dvx100 and fx1 asap. You will have problems, tons of them I garuntee it.

Yasser, would you care to elaborate? I would think the worst that can happen is that these cams will require a macro, as with other adapters.

Dennis Wood March 11th, 2006 07:35 PM

With temperatures at a balmy +5C, I ventured out with last fall's dolly/crane project, up to now relegated to the shop rafters. Using the adapter is a big challenge with a jib/dolly, as focus is manual, and in this case (excessively so) the DOF is too shallow at F1.4. Here are the results of an hour's play. It started raining right after I was done so the light's a bit flat.

The clip

Pic of the rig.