DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Letus Flip + XL2 HELP!!!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/62529-letus-flip-xl2-help.html)

Eniola Akintoye March 10th, 2006 04:12 AM

Letus Flip + XL2 HELP!!!!!

Hello everyone, I have a big problem and I have told everyone that once I get with my mentors (DVINFO.NET) the problems with the camera will be solved.

The problem I have with my XL2 is that when there's a movement while shooting, the frames are not following the movement of the object making the footage kinda #$%^&*()_)(*&^%^.

Also, is there anyone with a good (practical) knowledge on how to shoot a "SLOW MO" with any of these adapters, please do enlighten me. I already know about the 60i/30p thing and I know there're other things I am missing.

Any ideas on the best tapes to use for a music video shoot and any suggestions, ideas, etc that anyone might feel I need to know when shooting a music video, please let me have it!.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the videos. Absolutely no color corrections, just playing around with the white balance.

http://www.putfile.com/xilixfilms (Letus-Flip-Frame-issue)

XL2 Settings:
Automatic, why, because the manual settings will not make the guy's face to focus (blurred). What could cause this? If you need me to put a sample shot up, please do let me know.

Eniola Akintoye March 10th, 2006 09:16 AM

any help from anyone, please?

Andrew Todd March 10th, 2006 09:26 AM

your videos dont seem to work but :

what you have to do is take your camera off automatic. dont put a lens on th letus. put the letus on your camera. zoom your camera in until you have filled your whole frame with the letus's frame. focus your xl2 until you see the grain of the letus. put the lens on. turn on the motor. adjust your settings like white balance etc.. and you should be good to go. AUTO FOCUS OFF!!! When the letus is on DO NOT touch the zoom or focus ring of your camera.. only the still lens.

please tell me how it goes.

Andrew Todd March 10th, 2006 09:30 AM

also take the image stabalizer off.

Mike Oveson March 10th, 2006 09:49 AM

Just to clarify, you were shooting this in 60i? Not any of the progressive modes, right?

I was able to get the video to work (after much tinkering). Looks like you're getting some vignetting, especially on the right side. As Andrew said already, you need to take the camera off automatic. Set the video camera's focus to manual, focus on the groundglass the way Andrew said and then leave it. You'll only use the lens attached to the Letus to focus. If you have further questions let us know. Good luck to you.

Eniola Akintoye March 10th, 2006 12:50 PM

Andrew/Mike,
Sincere thanks for ya'all responses.
I actually can not get the video to play at work as well. How did you get it to preview Mike?.
I took the camera off automatic, auto focus, and image stabilizer but it still did not stop the frames of the guy to pixelate during movement, distort + it is always going in and out of focus even though you are not even touching the camera nor tripod (this happens when using the manual settings).
Andrew, did you get to see the clips and do you have any footage up that I can please see?

Mike, the clips where shot on 24p mode. For the manual settings, I use f2.0 and 1/48 shutter speed.

Thanks.

Andrew Todd March 10th, 2006 12:57 PM

take it off 24p.. dont use a progressive mode. see if it makes a difference. with progressive mode you might notice a tracking effect. as for the focus theres no reason your focus should be drifting unles you're touching the focus. focus with no lens on the front until you see the dots of grain on the ground glass.. are you having these same problems without the adapter? because theres no reason if your camera is in manual mode for the focus to be drifting..because you're keeping the camera continuously focused on the ground glass

Andrew Todd March 10th, 2006 12:59 PM

try a higher shutter speed too. as for the driftng focus make absolutely sure that the switch on your lens is set to manual focus. cuz it sounds like its not

Mike Oveson March 10th, 2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eniola Akintoye
Andrew/Mike,
Sincere thanks for ya'all responses.
I actually can not get the video to play at work as well. How did you get it to preview Mike?.
I took the camera off automatic, auto focus, and image stabilizer but it still did not stop the frames of the guy to pixelate during movement, distort + it is always going in and out of focus even though you are not even touching the camera nor tripod (this happens when using the manual settings).
Andrew, did you get to see the clips and do you have any footage up that I can please see?

Mike, the clips where shot on 24p mode. For the manual settings, I use f2.0 and 1/48 shutter speed.

Thanks.

I got the video to work with a little program called VLC. I had to bypass the streaming page and manually download it, and then I got it to play in VLC. Windows Media Player wouldn't touch it. I don't know how it's encoded, but it took some effort to get it to play.

Anyway, part of the "pixelation" you are mentioning MAY be partially caused by the 24p. Let me clarify that though. 24p will cause SOME strobing during horizontal motion, and that's usually during pans and such. What I am seeing in your footage is a grossly exaggerated (and also quite different) example of this. I would do as Andrew recommended and switch off of 24p, at least until you get the hang of the adapter. Upping the shutter speed will also likely help.

In terms of the focusing, I don't see why it would change if the XL-2 is on manual and you are not changing focus on the 35mm lens. Focus will be on ONE specific plane with a 35mm lens, so if a person (like the guy in the first clip) moves around going further and closer to the lens then obviously focus will change. But it shouldn't just randomly change on its own. Try it out again and let us know how it goes.

Tony Tibbetts March 10th, 2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eniola Akintoye
it is always going in and out of focus even though you are not even touching the camera nor tripod (this happens when using the manual settings)

This doesn't make any sense. Is the dial on the XL2 Body set to "M"? I assume you are using the 20x lens? Did you also flip the switch on the lens to "M"? Is the POSITION PRESET on the lens set to "Off"?

Eniola Akintoye March 11th, 2006 05:00 AM

Tony/Mike,
The XL2 Body, switch are both set to "M" except for the position preset which is set to focus and not off. I just turned it to off but the strobing effects is still there everytime I pan.

The only time it got better was when I took it off prgressive mode (24p) but I noticed if I have the actors move slowly, it will not show that much.

Is there a way to fix this strobing effects in post and what do you guys think about the footage initially (film look wise)?

Please let me know more tryable methods.

Thanks.

Andrew Todd March 11th, 2006 05:43 AM

you will get a strobing effect with progressive mode. have you watched it on a larger screen yet? It usually looks less stroby ful size. Progressive will try to mimic a film look which means you must make more cinematic pans (slower)

Tony Tibbetts March 11th, 2006 03:54 PM

Okay, so you are no longer going in and out of focus. It's the strobing thats a problem now.

Are you shooting in 24p or 24pa? What are you watching the footage back on (i.e. TV, Computer Monitor, LCD...etc)?

Tony Tibbetts March 11th, 2006 04:01 PM

Okay, I looked at the footage and there is definitely an interlace problem going on. Maybe this is the strobic effect you are describing? Either it happened when you dumped the footage into your computer or when you exported it to .wmv format. Know ing which format you shot in would help.

Eniola Akintoye March 13th, 2006 03:48 PM

Guys,
I am still having the in and out focus issue and the worst thing is that, it is only affecting the face of the person/people that I am shooting and I think I am having the interlace issue.
Tony, I preview footages directly on an external monitor after shooting and before capturing just to see what the raw footage looks like and even when editing I still use an external monitor (36" Sony Flat screen TV). I don't think the XL2 has a 24pa mode and if it does, mine has only the 24p mode.

I never used to have any of these strobing or focus issues and do I need to send it in to canon repair center? I heard it takes ages before they send back the camcorders back.