DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Lens Adapter for HD100 finished. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/62837-lens-adapter-hd100-finished.html)

Bob Hart June 3rd, 2007 10:04 AM

Ted.

I think you about have it beaten. I could live with what you have there. No corner falloff observable, a nice look, maybe a little chroma margin on the high contrast edges but I understand JVC's own lens also does this so there may be no improvement remaining for you to make.

We have the advantage of dissecting your still frame grabs over lengths of time. A motion image which directs audience concentration upon a well shot subject will steer attenton away from any chroma margins on contrasted edges.

On a big digital projection screen it may be a different matter, but those are not always all that sharp anyway.

I might be tempted to take the camera back from the groundglass a little furthur and zoom in to compensate to try and get away from using the JVC lens own macro feature as well as having the achromat on front.

In my own tests with the JVC standard lens and a 7+ dioptre, I tried using the JVC backfocus adjustment or the macro adjustment just to be able to pull the groundglass physically closer to shorten the appliance itself.

This gave me a poorer image, it did not hold focus through the zoom range and there was a CA issue, so I put another 15mm back onto the length of the tube I was using and zoomed in a little more.

If you can keep the backfocus neutral, then you have the advantage of a little zoom range to help with framing and composition. You won't experience the same resolution hit this practice introduces with 35mm adaptors.

I think you should be well pleased with what you now have. It is certainly usable. Put a hold on your developments for a little while and just go out and enjoy shooting with it.

While you are shooting or simply doing other things, you will still come up with ideas. Given a few weeks of ruminating and digestion, the ideas will be easier then to put in place.

Ted Ramasola June 4th, 2007 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,

Thank you for your help in providing me with tips on the alignment. Your right, i'll give it a rest now and do some shooting. Im posting a pic on the adapter modification.

Bob Hart June 4th, 2007 08:10 AM

Ted.

You made the time on a developmental prototype when others including myself would rush things, to file the sharp corners and tidy spacing of screw centres and add extra right-angle bracing to avoid any shake or mechanical loading of the camera structure.

The decals and focal plane mark add to the presentation and perception of competence by clients.

Your work seems to be thorough and unhurried.

Very impressive. I would hope your imaging work, likely as thorough as your project, yields appropriate reward for your efforts.

Enjoy.