DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   'Solo' - New Short (shot on SG35) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/63658-solo-new-short-shot-sg35.html)

Daniel Morgan March 25th, 2006 10:09 AM

'Solo' - New Short (shot on SG35)

Hey everyone,

This was a university project. I am looking to work on it for another month and then submit it to some festivals. There are certaintly some issues that need sorting out, for example next week I'm doing another sound mix to get all the levels spot on. The music is an original score written and performed by Todd Howe of the The Boxer Rebellion (www.theboxerrebellion.com)

Any comments or suggestions would be very useful now.

I am incredibly impressed with Wayne and the SG. There are certaintly shortfalls but the compromises are worth taking. I had to write an 8000 word critique on the film which if you really want I can post somewhere. One of the interesting realisations from using the SG35 was how the shallow depth can really save you money.

Anyway - I hope you enjoy the film and come up with some interesting suggestions!

Kit used - DVX100a + SG35, Lighting kit, Rowe Cine Dolly, Stickypod, etc.

http://www.mediafree.co.uk/solofilm.html

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 25th, 2006 10:40 AM

Daniel -
Congratulations on producing the quintessential "short film"!
It was delightfully simple, yet managed to be much much bigger in the way it has left its impact on the memory - certainly, I'll remember it.
One could almost liken it to a Haiku... simple analogies, but with the great truth arising out of them.
I'll remember those skies as well.

Robin

Sean Michael March 25th, 2006 12:17 PM

Hey Daniel,

I really liked your shot composition and lighting throughout the whole piece. It really conviced me that the whole thing was shot on film.

Was there any color-correction at all, or was it all in camera settings?

Overall, nice job!

Sean

William Haughery March 25th, 2006 10:45 PM

This was really really nice! I would love to see a higher quality version of it. All around top notch!

Glenn Thomas March 25th, 2006 11:14 PM

I thought it was brilliant. Really well done.

Yasser Kassana March 26th, 2006 05:43 AM

Daniel BEAUTIFUL composition of shots all round. I'm going to look out for your name mate. Well done. Great movie. If anyone here wants know what a short film should consist of, look at this film.

David Delaney March 26th, 2006 10:42 AM

Great looking film. Wayne, you should also be proud, there are some nice images from the SG35!

Robert Kirkpatrick March 26th, 2006 11:00 AM

That was stunning, and not just for the SG35 footage. Beautiful compositions, wonderful editing, nice, fluid camera work. Great work -- I really have no suggestions that would add to it.

Meryem Ersoz March 26th, 2006 11:47 AM

lovely. beautifully crafted. amazing how much meaning silence conveys.

Daniel Morgan March 26th, 2006 05:47 PM

Thanks alot for the kind words everyone. I'll continue to work on it and let you know what happens.

Robin - your the director of 'Pam Fi Duw' right?.. unbelievable... Definetly the most interesting part of Welsh lessons. I'm in Pembroke at the moment on a short break.

Thanks Again.

Robin Davies-Rollinson March 27th, 2006 01:33 AM

Daniel,
Sorry to destroy your illusions - I've never directed "Pam Fi, Duw?"
Lots of other Welsh dramas, including Pobol Y Cwm though...

Robin

Jason Hakala March 27th, 2006 05:05 PM

daniel what kind of lens did you use on the SG35?? shots look amazing. :)

jason

Jeremy Hughes March 28th, 2006 02:58 PM

Wow. That was a beautiful piece - amazing what a great story can be with great storytelling! Great work!

Stephen Buck March 29th, 2006 11:41 AM

Very nice! I'd love to see a full res / quality clip -- do you have any plans to post it for viewing?

Jason Jones March 29th, 2006 01:12 PM

Solo

Great work, Daniel. It's amazing how rich of a story one can tell without any dialogue or voiceover narration. I am reminded of a great Hungarian movie called "Hukkle" (Hungarian for "hiccup") that I saw a couple of years back at a film festival. The feature tells several interweaving stories (including one of police investigating a murder) with no substantial dialogue whatsoever. Maybe a few words here and there, most are inaudible.

Very nice images btw. Did you use any color correction? What lens did you use?