DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Best 35mm adaptor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/76121-best-35mm-adaptor.html)

Thomas Richter September 26th, 2006 01:47 PM

Wow, sounds awesome.
So you can have the field of view of true film 35 mm.
Once I get my SGPro I test how this affects the resolution.

Being able to zoom up to 150% also means that you could turn a 50mm lens into a telephoto. This adds flexibility in an interview situation.

Dennis Wood September 27th, 2006 11:46 AM

Thomas, technically you can exceed the 35mm field of view if the adapter can extract a larger frame. The Brevis will allow this with 16:9 cams, providing you are using either a fast lense, or a slow lens in bright conditions. We are currently in testing with PL and OCT19 lenses/mounts to see exactly how flexible cinema lenses are with respect to their smaller projected image size. We'll be playing with a collection of Zeiss PL mount primes, as well as a selection of Lomo OCT19 primes. Should be fun :-)

Wayne Kinney September 27th, 2006 12:32 PM

Dennis,

Will be interesting to know your findings. We are doing exactly the same next month, once with a HD100 and OCT-19 lenses, and with a HVX200 and a set of PL lenses.

Thomas Richter September 27th, 2006 02:10 PM

Dennis, I think that this is a great feature not all camera / adapter combinations can do. All the adapters were geared at a photographic frame when you should really try to get to a filmic frame (to make focal length, F-stop and FOV comparable to film). It is good to know that the Brevis also allows you to focus on the 24mm wide film frame. I know you are using an awesome achromat well worth its money.
Now, quite a few adapters, including most DIYs (and my own attempts!) are NOT able to focus on anything past 36*24 because the achromats are not good enough.

And, of course, you can use Zeiss cine primes, drool ...

Thomas Richter September 27th, 2006 02:11 PM

Correction: Not all adapters were geared at photographic frame. We shall all remember the guys from Munich

Wayne Kinney September 27th, 2006 02:38 PM

Yes good point, and this was one of the changes we made for the Revision 2 of the SGpro. The Rev 1 could not focus past 36x24, the Rev 2 can focus past 24x18mm

Dennis Wood September 28th, 2006 07:13 AM

It's too bad there's an ocean between. Getting the lens collections and adapters together would have been a great project. :-)

Jim Lafferty September 28th, 2006 11:32 AM

I'm sure if we get an adapter test to happen in NYC, we could get a sample SGPro, Brevis, M2 and Go35Pro all under one roof, no problem. We should make that happen since the test shoot from this summer seems to have fallen through.

Jack Davidson September 30th, 2006 06:20 PM

shootout

Perhaps "shootout" is the wrong word, as they would all have different strengths/advantages in varying situations, but I would love to see that.