DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Zeiss ZF lens breathing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/77017-zeiss-zf-lens-breathing.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi October 7th, 2006 06:03 AM

Zeiss ZF lens breathing?
 
Does anybody know how badly those new Zeiss ZF primes breathe?

From Zeiss ZF site:
ZF lenses provide Nikon F-mount cameras with the creative potential and phototechnical performance available so far only in the Contax system. In addition, ZF lenses incorporate new technical advances from the ZEISS Ultra Prime®, Master Prime® and DigiPrime® lenses for motion picture cameras. Results have been seen in feature films like "Lord of the Rings", "Alexander", "King Arthur", "Air Force One", "Collateral", "King Kong" and many commercials and music clips... Read more >>

Quite intriguing as the price for 50mm f1.4 is under $600.

Regs,
T

Frank Hool October 8th, 2006 01:18 PM

I'm not sure what You're question? Do You really ask about "Lens breathe"? Which is play between focusing and focal length. Why?
Anyway it's interresting subject.

Michael Maier October 11th, 2006 03:58 AM

I think what they mean by incorporating new technical advances from the ZEISS Ultra Prime, Master Prime and DigiPrime lenses must be relating to coatings and etc. I can't see the ZF still lenses being as good mechanically or they would cost as much as Ultra or Master primes. So my guess is that they do breathe, because for still work that's not an issue. So I don't see why they would spend time and money on devising lenses for still work that don't breathe when it doesn't matter. The final line is, if your work is cinematography, get motion picture lenses or live with still lenses limitations. There's no way around that.

Mathieu Kassovitz October 11th, 2006 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier
So my guess is that they do breathe, because for still work that's not an issue. So I don't see why they would spend time and money on devising lenses for still work that don't breathe when it doesn't matter. The final line is, if your work is cinematography, get motion picture lenses or

The(ir) weight matters. . .

Michael Maier October 11th, 2006 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
The(ir) weight matters. . .

Sorry, but I fail to get your point.

Mathieu Kassovitz October 11th, 2006 07:49 AM

Aside the new Zeiss zoom, there aren't so many lightweight lenses available. Addressed to some run and gun handheld shooting, some still lenses can be a good alternative (steadicam use, for example), especially for deep DOF shots.

Or for selective focus experimental work:
http://www.lensbabies.com/

Not all movie making work can be mainstream or should be its mimics.

Michael Maier October 11th, 2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
Aside the new Zeiss zoom, there aren't so many lightweight lenses available. Addressed to some run and gun handheld shooting, some still lenses can be a good alternative

Run and gun on the same line with anything 35mm is an “oxymoron”! If you need to shoot run and gun use a video camera and a small one at that. Why would you mess with a 35mm adapter?
Hand held shooting is not the definition of run and gun. Besides people shoot handheld with 40lbs Arri 35mm cameras and master primes everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
(steadicam use, for example),

Steadicams can fly monster cameras of 50lbs. What’s your point?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
especially for deep DOF shots.

Deep DOF shots, again why would you use a DOF adapter for that? The whole purpose of a DOF adapter is to get shallow DOF. If you need deep DOF a plain video camera will give you plaint of that.

Mathieu Kassovitz October 12th, 2006 04:56 AM

Although as particular purpose, that's the point:

I didn't think this section is JUST 35mm adapters related. My thought was in any way other than as 35mm . . . adapters, like 35mm motion picture cameras. If handheld isn't necessarily run and gun, on the other hand, both often coexist. Especially, considering the upcoming digital age addressed now to the 35mm format too. Otherwise, imposed by the media convergence.

*EDIT* Deep DOF can be achieved from a 35mm still set up for motion picture use when and where their limitations don't count. The breathing interference and other barriers at the focusing level, because of its mechanics. But not because of its optics. Taking advantage of its weight and glass quality. The same than any Zeiss Prime.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network