DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   DIY: Component HD LCD field monitor for DOF adaptors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/81604-diy-component-hd-lcd-field-monitor-dof-adaptors.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi December 12th, 2006 12:57 PM

DIY: Component HD LCD field monitor for DOF adaptors

I tought that maybe someone would be interested in cheap HD field monitor?

Just buy a $36 Component Video to VGA Adapter for HDTV 1080i from ebay and connect it to any VGA enabled LCD screen you like there are plenty for sub $150 on ebay wich are 640x480 native pix or more. Moreover you can buy sub $400 vga TFT from XENARC and achieve the same resolution that only $1000+ field monitors do.

Actually I`m not pacticed this so it`s only a theory.

Cheers,
T

Chris Knight December 12th, 2006 08:32 PM

You're not suggesting that that little adapter thing will turn a 640 x 480 LCD into an HD display, are you?

Ben Winter December 12th, 2006 08:52 PM

Tried it. It's fickle. And when it does work, absolutely nothing like a Marshall monitor. You get what you pay for.

This was mentioned before on this thread.

Dennis Wood December 12th, 2006 09:49 PM

I"ve been experimenting a bit with an 800x480 7" here. My first experiment with a passive component to VGA adapter did not work, but I'm going to give the powered adapter a go. I'll post up some high res pics of res charts and colour charts using the A1 output viewed via:

1. The 800x480 LCD using composite
2. The 800x480 LCD using component to VGA adapter (if it works)
3. The marshall HD monitor.

I was thinking that an 8Mp still of each, with fixed exposure on the SLR should give a relative idea of brighness, sharpness, accuracy etc. So far I'm not thrilled with the cheap LCD.

Tony Tibbetts December 12th, 2006 10:06 PM

That's funny. I have a Xenarc and today I was thinking of getting that same component to VGA adapter for it.

Greg Bates December 12th, 2006 10:47 PM

That adapter is hot garbage. By the time your done screwing around with that setup you'll have a bunch of cables and crap hanging off your camera and nothing close to the marshall. I used that component adapter, I used one from audio authority, and another made for the xbox all of them pretty much sucked ass. I am in love with my Marshall though.

Dennis Wood December 13th, 2006 06:42 AM

I agree Greg...it's a pile of cable right now. So far, for framing, it would be fine, and if you crank sharpness, an OK focus aid too. Colour and exposure evaluation? Forget it. I think the pics should illustrate that so others can decide what works for them. I'm borrowing the Marshall for a few days, and would expect it (just based on what I've read) to be a lot better.

I'm more curious on how different, if at all, the 800x480 will be via component-to-VGA vs composite. I'm guessing there's nothing too impressive going on internally with respect to scaling. I haven't seen a comparison done just based on high res photos of the displays under controlled conditions...so this should answer a lot of questions. Best price for the Marshall I can find in Canada is $1750...about what I paid for my first camera! Like everything, it will be a matter of comparing the pics, one's needs, and wallet size in deciding which is best :-)

If I understand the Marshall HD 7" specs, it should be suitable for focus/framing as well as exposure/colour reference??

Sam Jankis December 13th, 2006 10:35 AM

The Marshall is great for seeing more detail, but I give it a C for color and image muddiness. I think the Panasonic 8.4" lcd is the best (only?) option... and the most expensive.

Dennis Wood December 13th, 2006 11:03 PM

Just had a quick peak at the Marshal vs the 800x480 LCD. Night and day difference. I'll post up the pics once I can try the 800x480 via the composite to VGA adapter.