JVC Viewfinder / Technical Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 11th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Viewfinder / Technical Question

Is it possible to physically rotate the CRT monitor inside of a JVC viewfinder (such as a VF-P115BU) 180 degrees and remount it? I want to use the inverted image viewfinder with a Redrock adaptor. Has anyone here ever taken apart one of these or similar VF's? Thanks.
Jon Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Trustee

i know it has been done quite easily with the jvc 100/110 lcd viewfinders. mentioned on a post somewhere on here
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Wrangler

Jon,

If you have a HD100/101 then it might be worth trying.

However, if you have a HD110/111, HD200/201 or HD250/251 it is unecessary because those models are capable of electronically rotating the image.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Jon,

If you have a HD100/101 then it might be worth trying.

However, if you have a HD110/111, HD200/201 or HD250/251 it is unecessary because those models are capable of electronically rotating the image.
Tim,

I do have a HD110...JVC support informed me that the HD110 model camera cannot rotate the image in the VF or the LCD. They said only the 200 has that function...and that only the 250 can rotate the image in the cam's output. But if you know of a way please tell me. Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
i know it has been done quite easily with the jvc 100/110 lcd viewfinders. mentioned on a post somewhere on here
Phil,

Are you talking about the LCD or the VF? I want to use the VF with the Redrock, because I'm used to operating through a viewfinder, and not with the LCD or another monitor.

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to physically rotate the monitor that is inside the JVC viewfinder itself.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Springer
Is it possible to physically rotate the CRT monitor inside of a JVC viewfinder (such as a VF-P115BU) 180 degrees and remount it? I want to use the inverted image viewfinder with a Redrock adaptor. Has anyone here ever taken apart one of these or similar VF's? Thanks.
I just found out the VF-P115BU is not compatible with the HD110. It seems that the HDV series JVC cameras have a unique VF connector. So the only other answer is the attempt to rotate the VF somehow - either inside or the entire assembly.

If anyone can point me to any thread dealing specifically with the VF (and not the LCD) I would appreciate it.
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Springer
Phil,

Are you talking about the LCD or the VF? I want to use the VF with the Redrock, because I'm used to operating through a viewfinder, and not with the LCD or another monitor.

I'm just wondering if it might be possible to physically rotate the monitor that is inside the JVC viewfinder itself.

yes it's possible and simple ,just open the viewfinder and take out the two little srews then rotate the monitor and put the srews back .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal
yes it's possible and simple ,just open the viewfinder and take out the two little srews then rotate the monitor and put the srews back .
Has anyone else attempted this proceedure?
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Jon,

I have been shooting a lot of footage with the Redrock lately, and last night I decided to try and flip the monitor inside my VF and it works.

There are two small screws inside that hold the monitor in place. Remove those and slide it out. There is a short ribbon cable connecting it, but is long enough to get the monitor outside the housing.

There are two notches on either side that align the monitor as it slides in the tube. Because of these you can not just turn it upside down and slide it back in.

Use long tweezers or the like to get the monitor in and out. Turn it upside down and put it back in and you'll see one of the notches lines up, but the other doesn't (bottom left).

So I used my Dremel tool and made one new notch and put everything back together and it works.

I think I should have made the existing notch a little bigger instead of making a new notch, because my monitor isn't perfectly square when upside down, has a very slight counter clockwise angle. I am only able to put one of the two screws back in, but it seems secure.

It was a very simple operation and shooting with the Redrock will be much easier now. And I can always rotate it back to normal and put everything back the way it was, with the exception of my new notch, that doesn't hurt anything.

Hope this is useful to someone and if you break your camera don't blame me!
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the info Dustin. So, exactly what tools would one need to do this?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

A small phillips screwdriver, long tweezers or needle nose pliers, and something to notch the plastic so it will go back in upside down. I used a Dremel tool to cut the notch.
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Major Player

how big of a notch and is there any other tool I can use to make the notch? Dont have a dremel tool. thanks.
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The notch is about 1/16" wide and 1/8" deep. Not very big. If you look inside the VF you will see the two ribs that go inside the notches to see how big to make it. I guess you could use a small file or something, but you can get a cheap dremel tool for less than $50. I would worry that too much sawing on the plastic will crack it.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #14
Major Player

What about if you just took the VF off the camera, and turned it upside down, and taped it to something - this would work if the camera was mounted on a tripod.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #15
New Boot

Jon!

Another but not chep way to get an upright picture with the M2 is this:

http://www.rowe.at/de/images/stories/PDF/35mm_VF_V2.pdf

robert
Robert Leitner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods