DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Nikon AIS vs. Nikon AF for 35mm lens adapter! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/86555-nikon-ais-vs-nikon-af-35mm-lens-adapter.html)

Tony Pham February 15th, 2007 12:18 AM

Nikon AIS vs. Nikon AF for 35mm lens adapter!

Hi everyone,

I have a Letus35 FE for my HVX and finally got a chance to play with it but still in need of a Nikon 85mm lens and have a question. Everyone prefers to use manual lens with the 35mm Lens Adapter because it's cheaper. However, I also have a Nikon D70s still camera. So, I'm thinking about getting an Nikon AF lens so can use it for both. What is your opinion on that regarding the quality? Do you think manual lens produce better picture or is it the same with AF lens (assuming the AF lens can change the aperture? Please advise. Thank you!

Charles Hurley February 15th, 2007 12:40 AM

Af is optional not mandatory, all 35mm AF SLR lenses allow manual focus. Just don't get the dx series as they focus on a smaller imager. I use a 20mm, 50mm, and 85mm Nikon D series with my Brevis and they work great.

John Stakes December 8th, 2008 01:29 PM

Figured I would revive this old post rather than start a new one on the same topic.

I am about to purchase a lens for the Extreme. I had the Nikon 1.8 AF on it, and I loved it! But I returned it : ( hoping to get even better performace from a 1.4. I was told by the store employee that it has better glass on it (perhaps I should call Nikon?) I have obviously not purchased the new lens yet (expensive!).

Anyhow, someones input, or direction, on the AI v. AIS v. AF lenses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul Inglis December 8th, 2008 05:00 PM

The first thing that I look for when choose another Nikon 35mm lens that I use for filming; is does it have a manual aperture ring? If not I would even consider it!

AIS Vs AF in my mind is far more important when shooting stills than moving images. However the later AF lens are faster and I prefer those but the very latest don’t have aperture rings and the others are made specifically for DX sensors which are cropped 1.5x rather than full FX (35mm).

Bob Hart December 8th, 2008 10:49 PM

The newer autofocus/manually focusable lenses generally have a shorter throw of the focus ring for adjusting. There are advantages and disadvantages.

The short throw means with practice you can snap focus quickly in handheld highly dynamic situations.

A non-standard technique is to rest the rear palm of your hand on the 35mm adaptor body as an anchor and place your fingertips on the lens ring as if turning a large tuning knob on a radio or knob on a combination safe. The thumb becomes a spare digit.

For slower focus pulls, there is a tendency to overshoot and hunt back and forth. This becomes as distraction to the viewer and is the signature vision from newer and low-budget adaptor users.

The older, manual-only lenses with a longer throw to the focus movement are more controllable, especially with follow-focus and gears.

Manual aperture is also an absolute must have.