DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   A way to reduce the size of M2+GY-HD100 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/87737-way-reduce-size-m2-gy-hd100.html)

Francois Bontemps February 27th, 2007 08:30 PM

A way to reduce the size of M2+GY-HD100 ?

Hi
First sorry for my bad english.
I am thinking to bought the M2 and wait money to buy it. I have a JVC GY-HD101E. On the photos of this camera and the M2, it seems to be a monster, the JVC lense is too big !
I see on internet the Zörk nikon adapter for JVC camera.

http://www.zoerk.com/_deutsch/adapt2jvc-E.html

So is it possible to put off the JVC lense and replace it by a little nikon lense to reduce the size of the system ?

HD 100-->Zörk adapter-->nikon lense-->M2-->nikon lense

If it's not a dream, what lense is adviced ?

David Chia February 28th, 2007 07:08 AM

if you buy the Zörk adapter, you don't need the M2. it gives you the same D.O.F as a M2 gives.* Better still, no light loss and the image stays upright.

*Note from Admin: As pointed out below, this statement is absolutely false. Normally we would simply withdraw this post from public view, but that would have confused the thread since so many other posts reference this one. So, we decided to leave it in place along with this disclaimer.

Ron Lemming February 28th, 2007 07:58 AM

Isn't the Zörk going to give you a very large magnification though if you use it alone? The Canon EOS adapter for Canon XL1/XL2 for example gives you a magnification of about 7.2x since the 1/3" image sensor is so much smaller than the 35mm film plane.

Steven Fokkinga February 28th, 2007 08:21 AM

In order for a lens system to have the same DOF as a 35mm-adapter or film a ground glass is necessary. Otherwise you would just have a really long lens, like Ron says...

Ben Winter February 28th, 2007 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 633319)
if you buy the Zörk adapter, you don't need the M2. it gives you the same D.O.F as a M2 gives. Better still, no light loss and the image stays upright.

Haha. Too bad this isn't true...all this talk about bokeh and grain can get to be quite the unhealthy obsession.

Charles Hurley February 28th, 2007 12:33 PM

"if you buy the Zörk adapter, you don't need the M2. it gives you the same D.O.F as a M2 gives. Better still, no light loss and the image stays upright." I heard it also records uncompressed HD to audio cassetes and had OIS that was superior to steadicam.

Ben Winter February 28th, 2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Hurley (Post 633484)
and had OIS that was superior to steadicam.

No, that's EIS :)

Christopher Witz February 28th, 2007 04:05 PM

ok... you guy's are being mean.....

your right... the jvc and a m2 look like a barracuda! slap a mattebox on that fish and you'd be longer than a f900! ( but $70k cheaper... )

you could use the zork nikon adaptor and a lensbabie3 ( http://www.lensbabies.com )

and get some very creative DOF.... but at 50mm, it will be on the tele side of the focal length.

You'd be the 1st to try it.... look up philip bloom here on the forums.... he's got a 201 and a brevis that makes some nice footage!.... and a nice bloke to boot!

Drew Curran March 1st, 2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Bontemps (Post 633154)
So is it possible to put off the JVC lense and replace it by a little nikon lense to reduce the size of the system ?

Would this act as a relay lens?

Andrew

Jon Wolding March 2nd, 2007 08:31 AM

I wonder if you could use this 45mm Nikon or 40mm Voigtlander WITH an achromat (or screw on macro?) as a relay lens. They're both fairly wide lenses and since you need to zoom in on the GG anyways, the cropped image might still work.

Christopher Witz March 2nd, 2007 09:02 AM

those are a bit on the slow side...

one could flip a 50mm f1.4 around ( front to back ) and will mac a great acro/relay.

one thing to keep in mind is to make sure all lens surfaces have multi coating.... which help to eleminate internal reflections.

any modern name brande lens is multi coated.

contax/yashica mount 50 1.4's are a jewel for this type of thing. and since mount is out of production, one can find them cheap!

Bob Hart March 2nd, 2007 08:20 PM

There seems to be a few X-Fujinon 50mm f1.8 in the hockshops from time to time. I think these may also be obsolete but it was my first f1.8 lens and worked well. It might be useful to adapt as a relay lens.

A 50mm plus an achromatic dioptre works into the JVC HD100 and XL family of cameras. With the addition of a reversed biconvex element which seems to function as a condenser, this is Quyen LE's method for the Letus35.

Jon Wolding March 3rd, 2007 01:45 AM

I missed a crucial detail... back focus will be a cinch, but you can't zoom in on the GG. So your relay will probably have to be specific to each model camera.

Bob Hart March 3rd, 2007 06:41 AM

There should be very little variation in the field of view of the groundglass image seen by the 1/3" CCDs of any 1/3" CCD camera receiving a directly relayed image. 50mm seems about right for a 22mm - 24mm wide image off the groundglass.

Wider SLR lenses in the region 35mm to 50mm would get you more area off the groundglass but might be harder to find used and new examples over-expensive in the wide apertures required.

They might likely very bulky as well to the point you might as well keep the Fujinon standard lens for relay.

You might also find that except for a 50mm, buying in the P+S Technik's own relay lens itself is competitive as to cost and is a better performer.

Jon Wolding March 3rd, 2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hart (Post 635129)
buying in the P+S Technik's own relay lens itself is competitive as to cost and is a better performer.

I've thought this, too. But can you buy it separately? From where?