DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Brevis35 Latest R&D Project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/89328-brevis35-latest-r-d-project.html)

Dennis Wood March 19th, 2007 01:13 PM

Brevis35 Latest R&D Project

We just finished a significant R&D effort with regard to the Brevis35 adapter. Our mission was to improve edge falloff/vignetting with long or slower lenses...a very common complaint with adapters.

Here's a quick clip with the Brevis35, prototype (interchangeable) imaging element, and using first a T2.3 s35 format movie lens (LOMO 85mm using a 16x22mm frame) and then an f2.8/5.3 28-200mm Canon zoom lense. On the slow lens, I zoomed out with the XH-A1 so you can see the imaging element in place. The zoom lens was set at f8! It would be an understatement to say that we're pretty thrilled with the R&D effort :-) The changes will eventually (3-4 weeks) be trickled down into all three of our interchangeable imaging elements, CF1, CF2 and CF3.

We've also just introduced a new adjustable height Brevis-to-rails support, and very soon...15mm carbon fibre tubing in 30, 45 and 60mm lengths. Our flip unit (module will be usable on any adapter...not just ours) will be announced shortly :-)

David Delaney March 19th, 2007 01:55 PM

Great news. I can't wait to see the rail support.

Dennis Wood March 19th, 2007 08:00 PM

You don't have to wait for the new support :-)

Brian Orser March 19th, 2007 10:25 PM

Dennis,

I'm confused. What exactly are you developing? A whole new version of the adapter? Or a part that could be interchanged into the Brevis I just purchased and is on the way...

Also, that new mount... I ordered the other one, which is more expensive. Would this one be better suited for me? (I'm going to be using nikkor glass.) Whats the difference? If it is better, is it too late to change my order?

Sorry for all the questions

Dennis Wood March 19th, 2007 11:53 PM

Brian, the adapter uses interchangeable imaging elements. What you're looking at is the next generation version...and of course it will drop right in. We'll be phasing out the non-adjustable mount as soon as they're sold out. Both are extremely stiff, but the fixed height version is lighter...

John Benton March 20th, 2007 12:42 PM

wow looks great Dennis

Wayne Kinney March 20th, 2007 01:27 PM

Great work Dennis

Brian Orser March 20th, 2007 07:12 PM

Great. That's what I wanted to hear. :) However, I'm still in the dark as far as the adjustable mounts go.... Sorry. Is there an advantage for me with a JVC GY-HD110U? Will I ever need it over the fixed height mount I ordered?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Dennis Wood March 20th, 2007 09:48 PM

The adjustable height version would likely be better for the JVC HD cams. The HD100 and HVX are both "tall" cams so getting them to 85mm optical center over a rails set can be a challenge. (our rails allow this...but no others I've seen do without modification.) 85mm is a standard that seems to be pretty universally ignored :-(

Aram Bauman March 21st, 2007 11:06 PM

WEEEEEEEEE!! More toys to play with!

Dennis Wood March 24th, 2007 03:28 AM

I know...and the really cool stuff (at least I think so) is still to come :-)