DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   Which one would you recommend? 50mm 1.2 or 1.4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/91319-one-would-you-recommend-50mm-1-2-1-4-a.html)

Giovanni Speranza April 12th, 2007 03:05 AM

Which one would you recommend? 50mm 1.2 or 1.4?

Which one would you recommend? 50mm 1.2 or 1.4?
Do you think that at full aperture a Nikon 50mm 1:1.4 is enough or it's better to use the 1:1.2 (which cost much more)?
Thanks!

Christopher Witz April 12th, 2007 06:13 AM

the 50 1.2's are not very sharp wide open..... you'd end up stopping down anyways...... the 1.4's are the sweet spot!

Tim Bickford April 12th, 2007 12:42 PM

If you can get a 50mm 1.2 (for cheap $$) then go for it. You can always pick up a 1.4. I just picked up a 1.4 (in great shape) for $50.

Giovanni Speranza April 12th, 2007 01:16 PM

I think that a 1.2 closed to 1.4 is sharper than a 1.4 full open.
Anyway i'm bidding in ebay a 1.2, a 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8

Mack Fisher April 14th, 2007 05:42 PM

1.2 would look like total crap

Giovanni Speranza April 14th, 2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Fisher (Post 660314)
1.2 would look like total crap

why? Those pics doesn't look like crap:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor50s/pool/page3/

Christopher Witz April 14th, 2007 06:34 PM

define crap? the flicker pics are a tad tiny weeny to judge image quality.... I could take pics with my phone that look that good at that size.

The 1.2 I had was no where near the res as my 1.4..... and the 1.4 was no where near the 55 micro.

Besides... If your going for a berry lyndon look .... then go for the 1.2.... and with a dof adaptor between the cam and lens, u'd be hard pressed to tell much rez dif anyhow.

and if you want crazy dof.... try a lensbaby 3.0 ( google it )

Bob Hart April 14th, 2007 10:18 PM

EDITED WITH CORRECTION AND ADDITIONS.

Resolution of the old metal bodied f1.2, for video and groundglass relay purposes, is not inferior to the f1.8 with the specimens I have.

They both resolve the horizontal "B" block (864 TV lines) on the Lemac chart wide-open and the f1.2 has fine scratches in the coating on the front element and still comes in sharp enough. It is not so good against strong light.

I bought the f1.2 because it was there to be had cheaply. I think I would go for the f1.4 otherwise.

The Micro-Nikkor 55mm is a sweet lens, but only f3.5 I think.

Giovanni Speranza April 15th, 2007 06:28 AM

Christopher, Now i'm very confused.

Christopher Witz April 15th, 2007 09:13 AM

sorry..... If your after as much/less dof as possible, then get the 1.2.

but don't expect your reaction to be " wow... that's really sharp!"

it's all relative right? Yu don't know really how good something is unless you have something to compare it with that's better or worse. and shallow dof is so subjective..... as it art.

go for it..... and let us know how it works out!

Ben Winter April 15th, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke (Post 660583)

it's all relative right? Yu don't know really how good something is unless you have something to compare it with that's better or worse. and shallow dof is so subjective..... as it art.

I think I've brought this up before that the amount of resolution resolved by the camcorder is less than a 1.2f resolves wide open anyway. In either case, it's good habit to use all lenses closed down a little, I prefer 5.6, and 5.6 on a 1.2 is going to be brighter than 5.6 on a 1.4, while resolution will be negligible.

Giovanni Speranza April 15th, 2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke (Post 660583)

You are saying that a f/1.2 will be less sharp within the focus field, or just that it will just have more bokeh?

Christopher Witz April 15th, 2007 05:32 PM

yes... more bokeh.

and..... 5.6 is 5.6 on any lens built to iso specs.... otherwise light meters would be useless.

and yes..... the 1.2 wide open will be fine with a dof adaptor..... but noticebly less sharp on a full frame chip like a RED or a dslr.

Don't get me wrong..... it's a really cool lens to have.... and looks really cool.... and heavy! but if you stop down to 1.4 or 5.6 then your wasting your money on the extra stop you won't ever use.

if your flush with cash.... the contax 35-135 is one sweet jewel of a lens. at f3.5, not the fastest. a big chunk of glass, and looks simular to a cook

Giovanni Speranza April 15th, 2007 05:51 PM

Extreme DOF is what i want. I already have a 28-85 f/3.5/4.5 which has a very limited dof and will be my "reserve" lens. But for extreme DOF (while mantaining sharpness in the focused spot) is my goal.
Due to budget, for now i buy a 50mm 1.4.
Then i will buy a 50mm 1.2, an 85mm 1.2 and a rectilinear wide.

Christopher Witz April 15th, 2007 06:12 PM

go for it... I'm cuious to see the results!

canon also made a 50mm f.95 lens for it's rangefinders... with radioactive elements no less.... http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Canon7_095_06.jpg

another consideration for very shallow dof.... is to build an adaptor that has a 120mm GG as in a medium format camera like a hasselblad, and find a 110mm f2 ziess lens.... I have one of these f2's with my hassy and it is very sharp wide open, with very shallow dof simular to a 50 1.2 for 35mm format.
One advantage of an adaptor like this would be the possible abilty for it to be static as it's larger gg will in turn have finer grain ( size ratio ).

Another thing.... a little off topic... I have not seen anyone useing any shift lens' with adaptors yet..... the 24PC would create some really cool street scenes.