DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   XHA1 and shooting with a 35mm adaptor. 16:9 or 4:3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/91579-xha1-shooting-35mm-adaptor-16-9-4-3-a.html)

Alex Bianco April 15th, 2007 03:02 PM

XHA1 and shooting with a 35mm adaptor. 16:9 or 4:3

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate some advice on the subject of 35mm adaptors.

I have a Canon XH A1, an SGPRO 35mm adaptor, several 35mm Nikon Prime lenses.

1)Concerning the 35mm adapter (in this case the SGPRO) does anyone know if you should set the XHA1 to shoot the focusing screen of the adapter in 4:3 mode, rather than 16:9 mode, as surely the nikon prime lens projects onto the focusing screen of the adaptor a 4:3 image?

Alex

Wayne Kinney April 15th, 2007 03:14 PM

Alex,

Shoot in 16:9, but zoom in so the sides (not the top/bottom) of the frame meets the sides of the 36mm wide projected image. This should be 18mm on the zoom ring with the SGpro

Alex Bianco April 15th, 2007 03:34 PM

Thanks Wayne, while Ive got you, regarding the SGPRO and matte box use, I wonder if you could help me with the following:

I have a Canon XH A1, an SGPRO 35mm adaptor, several 35mm Nikon Prime lenses and am looking to buy a Chroziel matte box for this setup, that will work with the 35mm prime lenses (using an appropriate step down ring) and also with the XH-A1 without the 35mm adapter.

Obviously I could buy Chroziel's matte box specifically for the XHA1 as on B&H the "Chrosziel XHA1K XH-A1 4x4 Mattebox - with French Flag" but as it is so expensive I am trying to get hold of one second hand.

1)My question is in order to allow me to use the XH A1s native 16:9 mode without vignetting, do I need to buy a Chrosziel matte box that specifically mentions it has a "16:9" housing" or is the fact that the specs of the second hand Chrosziel lists 4x4 as its size enough, even it states that it is a 4:3 Chrosziel.

Alex

Zulkifli Yusof April 16th, 2007 08:53 AM

4x4 is actually the size of the filter tray that the mattebox comes with. In other words, you'll need 4x4 sized filters as compared to 3x3, 6x6, etc

As for whether the mattebox itself is useful for a 16:9 1/3" chip camera, I use an estimation to know if it's suitable or not by looking at the filter tray size and the widest lens you'd ever imagine you could use with the camera/adapter.

A super16 camera has its widest lens at 9.5mm and a 4x4 mattebox is adequate for it. I believe the 4x4 chroziel you're eyeing for should not be a problem since for 35mm lenses you're looking at the widest 24mm. Any wider and its gonna do funny things to your image anyway.

Alex Bianco April 16th, 2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulkifli Yusof (Post 661166)
4x4 is actually the size of the filter tray that the mattebox comes with. In other words, you'll need 4x4 sized filters as compared to 3x3, 6x6, etc

As for whether the mattebox itself is useful for a 16:9 1/3" chip camera, I use an estimation to know if it's suitable or not by looking at the filter tray size and the widest lens you'd ever imagine you could use with the camera/adapter.

A super16 camera has its widest lens at 9.5mm and a 4x4 mattebox is adequate for it. I believe the 4x4 chroziel you're eyeing for should not be a problem since for 35mm lenses you're looking at the widest 24mm. Any wider and its gonna do funny things to your image anyway.

Zilkifli, thanks for your reply - the 35mm I am using are Nikon 28mm, 50mm and 85mm - so the widest I am going is 28mm!

Out of interest, do either of you know what step down ring size I would need, assuming 110mm:81mm is whats needed to mount the chrosziel matte box directly to the XH A1 - I presume the three lenses may require different step down rings?

Alex

Alex Bianco April 16th, 2007 12:30 PM

Dupe, sorry.

David Chia April 19th, 2007 01:00 AM

Hi Alex,

Go here , check this out: http://www.geardear.com/
it's cheaper than the Chrosziel and you can up grade as you go. It in the E.U, so no tax for you.You can mount it to your A1 directly or use it with your SGpro . It is 4:3 or 16:9 into one.