DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/apertus-open-source-cinema-project/)
-   -   controling the camera with a hand-held device (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/apertus-open-source-cinema-project/486101-controling-camera-hand-held-device.html)

Tom Sparks October 13th, 2010 07:06 PM

controling the camera with a hand-held device

I have a gp2x[1] gather dust

I am wondering if it is good enough to be used to control the elphel camera?

it has network supoort using tcp/ip over usb [2]
it has a web browser [3]
it has modified version of mplayer[4] and ffplay[5]

[1] GP2X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[2] UsbNet on Linux - wiki.gp2x.org
[3] Links Web Browser - wiki.gp2x.org
[4] MP2X - wiki.gp2x.org
[5] FFPlay - wiki.gp2x.org

Dmytry Shijan October 14th, 2010 06:13 PM

nice device but display is too small. maybe it can be used as dictators hardware?

Sebastian Pichelhofer October 15th, 2010 01:58 AM

basically I think it could work but it would require some sophisticated fiddling.

and the 200Mhz CPU will not be a real workhorse in terms of performance, even the beagleboard has 3 times the CPU power...

Tom Sparks October 15th, 2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian Pichelhofer (Post 1578927)
basically I think it could work but it would require some sophisticated fiddling.

and the 200Mhz CPU will not be a real workhorse in terms of performance, even the beagleboard has 3 times the CPU power...

correction it is 2x200Mhz CPUs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmytry Shijan (Post 1578818)
nice device but display is too small. maybe it can be used as dictators hardware?

my only features I need are
* record/stop video
* take HDR photo
* apache file directory like gallery
* video playback via streaming transcoding on the camera

tom

Sebastian Pichelhofer October 16th, 2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sparks (Post 1579210)
correction it is 2x200Mhz CPUs
my only features I need are
* record/stop video
* take HDR photo
* apache file directory like gallery
* video playback via streaming transcoding on the camera
tom

The only above point that really requires performance is video playback. Though if your main application is taking HDR photos and you just want a low resolution preview video for framing and focusing you could go with a lower resolution video stream (camera internal decimation/binning). Then I think this setup should work rather well.
Just be ready to spend some time to set everything up and some php skills / linux scripting would also be an advantage I guess.

Tom Sparks October 16th, 2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian Pichelhofer (Post 1579254)
The only above point that really requires performance is video playback. Though if your main application is taking HDR photos and you just want a low resolution preview video for framing and focusing you could go with a lower resolution video stream (camera internal decimation/binning).

a lot the features are locked down or are automated because of the panoramic nature of this project (two image sensors back to back with fisheye lens this setup is know as a spherecam see ryubinpanorama.com)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian Pichelhofer (Post 1579254)
Then I think this setup should work rather well.
Just be ready to spend some time to set everything up and some php skills / linux scripting would also be an advantage I guess.

looked into programming the elphel camera and the code well be gpled :)