View Full Version : What is a good preset for a concert?

Michael Padilla
July 31st, 2007, 07:16 PM
What is a good preset for a concert?

Mike Teutsch
July 31st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Michael,

It all depends on what "LOOK" you are going for! I tend to find that that is #10 on my camera. I got that from our preset library, but can't tell you what the settings are off the top of my head. It is more saturated and more film like than the normal setting. Tell us what you are looking for and we can help you better.

Mike

Joe Batt
August 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM
with shots that are dark i like to keep the gain at -3 and open up the iris. it keeps the blacks black and the noise at a minimum.

Jon Bickford
August 21st, 2007, 12:33 AM
crush the knee and stretch the blacks as a start, concert stages tend to be painted black and have a lof of high key lighting

Benjamin Richardson
August 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM
Michael,

I shoot alot of live shows, and they are always dark, even with all the stage lighting. I usually calibrate my camera to the situation, but in general, I would use gamma 1 and low knee to keep the brighter areas under control, then I would stretch the blacks, as well as raise the master pedestal and setup levels all the way up, and turn down the sharpness a bit to help hide the grain in the darkest areas, as well as turning down the coring. Then when editing, correct the gamma curves slightly to get the sharpest contrast.

Tony Tibbetts
August 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Also, I notice that a lot of stage lighting for concerts tends towards the warmer hues. All video tends to handle reds poorly. I would take the saturation levels down a bit and diminish the red channels quite a bit.