View Full Version : 16g P2 firmware update

Brian Sargent
August 3rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Just updated my HVX to the latest driver and it was fairly simple, but I had to hunt a little to find the best documentation. To save everybody the trouble I'll just include those links below. I also installed the PCDriver Macintel software on my G4. Now when I eject my P2 card from my laptop the power to the card is automatically shut off, which is nice.

When you download the driver for the camera you get a folder called vsi4598g. Inside this folder is another folder labeled PRIVATE. Copy this folder to your SD card and you'll be set. Update takes about 10min.

HVX Firmware update info
http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/support/software_16gbp2.asp

Driver
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/soft/hvx200/hvx200.htm

Tom Chartrand
August 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
That's bizarre! When I trie to put the Macintel driver on my G4 powerbook....no luck. Are you saying that the Macintel driver updated on your PowerPC mac?

Also can the driver for the HVX be set up on an SD card from a Mac?

Brian Sargent
August 6th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Tom,

Yeah, the PC_Macintel Driver did indeed work on my G4, though I think they meant to label it PPC - not PC. These kinds of details cause confusion.

As for the SD card, I formatted it in camera, dragged the firmware update file from my mac to the card using an SD/USB cardreader, put the card in the camera and opened the operation menu to begin the update.

Hope this helps.

Simon Sommerfeld
December 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hi guys,
I'm finally updating the firmware on my HVX200 so it can take 16GB cards. I have the vsi4598g update folder loaded onto the SD card but when I insert the card into the camera and try to access the update in-camera there is no "update" option under the Operation menu. The only available option is to format the SD card. Very strange. I followed all the instructions from the Pana website and things were going smoothly until now. Can anyone shed some light as to what might be going on?
Many thanks,
Simon.

Jon Wolding
December 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Is it in the correct root folder?
Transfer the entire PRIVATE folder (w/ subfolders) onto your SD card.

The folder path should be this:

SD CARD > PRIVATE > MEIGROUP > PAVCN > SBG > P2SD > FW > K2302028.img (the new firmware)

Simon Sommerfeld
December 3rd, 2007, 02:02 AM
Jon, thanks for your post. I had indeed copied the whole PRIVATE folder to the SD card. Thing is, I had the wrong PRIVATE folder......! There was another that did not contain the update, but rather a set of scene files that I had been recently using. Your post made me go drill down again and check the folder contents. Anyway, I'm in and can see the Update option now.

Question: I've read a little that there may be a P2 NLE import bug associated with updating cam firmware for the 16GB card. Anyone know if this update is actually causing problems in this realm? Am holding on the update until I know it's AOK.

Many thanks,
Simon.

Jon Wolding
December 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I haven't run into it with FCP 6 and the updated P2 firmware.

Brian Sargent
December 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
No problems here, but am still using FCP5

Simon Sommerfeld
December 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Great,
Thanks for the info, fellas. Will let you know if I encounter anything unusual.
Best,
Simon.

Tom Klein
December 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Hi Guys
I updated my firmware yesterday in my SPX800 and so far so good. just have to wait for dealer to ship the long awaited and expensive 32 gig card.
Cheers
Tom K

Tom Klein
December 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Received 32 card formated and i'm away, transfer / Ingest time is about Two times realtime, all good. Now just have to mortage the house to get another 4 cards, "just jokin." but, they are on the Hot price side.
Cheers Tom K