View Full Version : What--yet ANOTHER Heinz commercial?! Mine...

Charles Papert
August 6th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Boy, a lot of us made these. I'm interested to see once all of the entries are logged just how many there were--I have a feeling a lot of us waited until the last minute! I myself was waiting for my new Mac Pro to arrive so I could cut this sucker in HD.

Shot on the XH-A1.

I have it up on Youtube of course, but their compression continues to make me want to weep (what happened to the H264? Still looks yucky). So here (http://web.mac.com/chupap/iWeb/Heinz/Heinz.html) it is on my own page.

Benjamin Hill
August 6th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Awesome, best one I've seen. Regardless of compression. Funny writing, good performances and the shooting & editing serve the purpose well. This is another clinic.

Jerrod Cordell
August 6th, 2007, 11:55 PM
lmao, I really liked that . Really well done. 4 Days to edit? Wow that's insane. What are the specs on your Mac Pro anyway, just out of curiousity?

Well if you want you can have a glance over at my thread (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=100295) if you want.

Charles Papert
August 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM
2.66 Quad, 8 GB RAM, BM Intensity Pro card (brought the A1 footage in via HDMI as ProRes422, very cool).

Yep, watched your spot, pretty rad! Might not go down that well with the brass at Heinz though...!

nice hyperlink BTW

Jerrod Cordell
August 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Oooh nice. Sounds awesome. Yeah I have a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Due iMac with 2 GB of RAM, but I edited mine on the Mac Pro at the Apple Store (since I don't own Final Cut).

Yeah I have a pretty good feeling my video won't win, but I just wanted to make something funny.

Hyperlink? What hyperlink? *shifty eyes*

Henrik Reach
August 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM
2.66 Quad, 8 GB RAM, BM Intensity Pro card (brought the A1 footage in via HDMI as ProRes422, very cool).

Yep, watched your spot, pretty rad! Might not go down that well with the brass at Heinz though...!

nice hyperlink BTW

Nice commercial, very smooth.

And excuse me for being stupid here, but how do you get output from HDMI with the A1? Do you use a HV20 or something like that, or have I just missed something?

Brent Goodale
August 7th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Also curious about the hdmi....

I have seen about 20 of these commercials and this is by far the best one! Good luck

Scott Saracen
August 7th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Wow Charles, absolutely fantastic! You are a constant in quality content.

Greg Boston
August 7th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Boy, a lot of us made these. I'm interested to see once all of the entries are logged just how many there were--I have a feeling a lot of us waited until the last minute! I myself was waiting for my new Mac Pro to arrive so I could cut this sucker in HD.

Shot on the XH-A1.

I have it up on Youtube of course, but their compression continues to make me want to weep (what happened to the H264? Still looks yucky). So here (http://web.mac.com/chupap/iWeb/Heinz/Heinz.html) it is on my own page.

Hey Chas, that vehicle looked awfully familiar. (hehe)

Good job! Loved the concept.

-gb-

Brad Vaughan
August 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Oh man!

That is awesome!!!

That guy is hilarious...Three, wait, uh two?...mmmmm!

That truly is one of the best commercials. Ranks right up there with my all time favorite....The Geico Caveman Commericals!!

Seriously, that was fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

John Lofton IV
August 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Excellent commercial! Funny, compelling and cute. Great cinematography and lighting. Best one I've seen so far.

Mark Rook
August 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Picking my jaw up as we speak.

Thats one very professional vid.

Mark

Charles Papert
August 9th, 2007, 11:35 PM
re: HDMI--yes, I used my HV-20 to send to the Blackmagic card.

re: Prius--yup Greg, good spotting. It was supposed to be my Audi A6 that I've had in my garage waiting to be sold (anyone want it??!), but the battery was dead as it hasn't been driven in months, and I couldn't jumpstart it in time for the shoot, so it defaulted to the Prius. Gives the ad a subtle green nod, no?

thanks all for watching and nice comments!

Sam Ren
August 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
very nice commercial, I really like the look you achieved its very pro... I have a question about bringing it in with the hv20 through hdmi+intensity card... whats the advantage of doing that once its on a dv tape already? is there any advantage whatsoever through capturing it that way instead of just going in w/ firewire? I've read a lot of other threads on this and most people say that it makes no difference once its on tape already...

-Sam~!

John Welsh
August 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I dont know what heinz gonna do with the winner (show the ad on tv?) but if so you should hide the car sign.

I liked the quality. Posting your equip and settings would be nice.

Charles Papert
August 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Sam, I've read the posts also and haven't had the opportunity to test both methods, but at the very least it means I can capture in whatever codec I want without having to transcode the files.

John, the winning ads will be shown on TV--and that actually is not my license plate number, we "greeked" the numbers with a little careful application of tape.

Lonnie Bell
August 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
hello Charles,
was the number of dropouts significant to report using the HV20 as a deck?
or were there any at all?

sincere thanks and kudos on your very well crafted commercial.

Lonnie

Charles Papert
August 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Not one dropout in an hour of transferred footage. Everything went smoothly.

Have there been reported issues with this?

It did feel a tad strange, I've owned DV decks for years and don't even remember using a camera as a feeder deck, but I don't really feel like I want to invest in an HDV deck just yet. If I could trade in one of my DV decks, now THAT would be worth it! Somehow I think there might be a depreciation issue...

Lonnie Bell
August 12th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I will have no worries using a future "B-camera" as a deck... until it rolls over into my pastry sitting atop my desk!

Yeah and I figure a "deck" that serves double-duty as a coverage camera in the field - I'll get over any concerns about the feeling of "this seems a little odd..."

Again, top tier commercial - I hope it garners you in the top 15!

Lonnie

Charles Papert
August 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I guess it's something about the size of the tape transport--rewinding or fast-forwarding 30 minutes into a tape taking less than a minute on a full-size deck vs many times that on a camcorder always makes me feel like I'm "asking too much" of the camcorder!

I can't complain about the length of service of my DV decks, seeing as how I've had them for 6 and 8 years respectively! And I do wonder how long I will be working with HDV in comparison.

David Warren
August 14th, 2007, 05:55 AM
yes once the image is recorded onto the tape the best you're going to get off the tape is 4:2:0.. only way to get better is to use the component out into a capture card on a laptop or similar.. WHILE you're shooting..
not having to transcode would be nice though.. ;)